69 Dart 340 Swinger

-
You are doing an absolutley amazing job! I am very impressed, I wish I could work as fast as you! I love the color, my buddy had a 70 RR Gold w/black stripes and gold interior, it looked great!

Thanks Oldvart!!!
And Flyboy, that means a LOT coming from you! You have done an amazing job on your car as well! Now get some color on that badboy! Yours was one of the first threads I read when I joined late last fall.

George
Ijustpulledmybackoutandcan'tworkonthecar! :( Son of a .......

71Dart and Bill!
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, BillyBoy, did it right where it sits last weekend. I couldn't move the car with no suspension under it, so I just shot it where it sits!
It really isn't hard to lay down paint and clear it, but to me, doing GOOD bodywork is a *****! I'll admit I can't make them as straight as I'd like, and I am lucky because the guy that sold me this car is a bodyshop owner so all the work was done. I just had to freshen up the primer and paint it. Of course, it never is as easy as it sounds, but basically that is what happened. It just took me almost 6 months to get where I am with the car now.

Next week I want to start wetsanding the clear and buff it out. Should look pretty good even though there are a few nibs in the clearcoat. Oh well, it's a driver, right??? LOL

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. If any of you local guys wish to stop by one weekend, please shoot me a PM. Also, if I can lend a hand to anyone, please let me know.

George
The Mopar Nutcase! :D

Here is a brief update. This is as of last weekend........

21 midwood - final flood test 005.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 006.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 007.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 010.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 011.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 012.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 013.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 014.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 015.JPG

21 midwood - final flood test 020.JPG

A few more on the next page. This was a screwed up post! LOL I forgot to "add attachments" before I hit GO!

George
I'mretarded

Damn! You never cease to amaze me George. Cant wait to see that car in person some day!

George, When the motor going in ? Let me know and I will come and help. Do you have a hoist ?

No hoist Adam. I rent it from a place by me for about $40 a day.
The motor and trans isn't going in until a few more weeks. I want to finish wetsanding/buffing, but I need to be able to roll the car out of the garage before I can finish it. I can't put the drivers door on in the garage because it's too close to the wall to fully open, so I want to get it "rolling" first.
I won't need help with the motor install, but I will need help reassembling and adjusting the doors/hood/fenders. I haven't got a clue!

Thanks for the offer. I'm working on the car just about all day Saturday & Sunday, so you're welcome to come by anytime. PM me if you need my phone number.

George

I have a hoist you can use for free if you like. I also have a second one I'll sell cheap if you want. It leaks a bit but works.

Michelle is working this weekend but Im free next sunday or after 4:00 when she gets out of work.

Adjusting the doors and fenders isnt really bad. Its a ton easier with 2 people though.

Adam, this is Mothers Day weekend anyway, so I'm sure my time will be scheduled if ya know what I mean! LOL
I can sure use the help, and I can really use that hoist you want to sell! PM me with a pricetag.

I HAD the pass door aligned pretty well until I took the car off the jackstands, and the whole damned thing went out of whack!. The door is centered in the opening perfectly, but needs to go straight up about 1/8". I can't do it alone, my wife isn't strong enough, and neither is my 8 year old son so I can really use the help.

How is your 71 coming along? I haven't seen an update in months.
Thanks again for the offer to help, and please let me know about the hoist!!!!

Mopars0 and 71Dartguy --
Thanks a lot for the kind words! It is appreciated!!

George

George, was your radiator core support blacked out from the factory? I`m sure it must have been since you`ve done such a meticulous job at the restoration, but is that something that started in `69? My 67 and 68`s are all painted body color, yet my friends `69 is blacked out on the front. :read2: Regardless, that Dart of yours ought to win a contest or two!! Nice work!:-D

Wow, I just found this resto thread today and I'm speechless. Amazing detail.

You can come out and do my 68 Dart and enjoy the southern california weather for a while. :)

Longgone,
The previous owner sandblasted the engine compartment and rad support before I got the car, but I found evidence of blackout next to the wiring retainers that are welded onto the rad support to hold the wiring harness for the headlights. My brother had a 69 Swinger 340 back in the 70's and I do remember it being black even though I was only a kid. Thanks for the kind words, and also for the previous help.

Daves66valiant,
I can't (unfortunately) go to Cali for an extended period of time, but if you ship the car to me with an open checkbook, I'm sure I can do a nice job for ya! :D LOL

A guy with a real deal Superbird called me and asked if I would be interested in restoring his car! I'll probably need some time off after this one is done, but a Superbird would sure be a fun (but time consuming) resto! LOL

Thanks again for the encouragement guys.

George

Longgone, The black out on the radiator support depends on color usually. Dark colors didnt get it lighter colors did. Sometimes chrysler would miss one or paint one that didnt need it though.

No sure what year it started but Georges black out is to neat for a factory Job, LOL

The black out was actually sprayed from a pit from the bottom of the radiator support up and didnt cover all the body color.

P1010362.JPG

I may try that stripper in my engine bay in a few weeks.

Adam, thank you for the enlightenment. There`s is always so much to learn about this hobby, especially in the details. A thick book could easily be written on just that subject. A friend of mine and I were talking about how sloppy some of the factory work was, but when you consider the entire car was built in a matter of hours on an assembly line then it puts it all in perspective. Oh, and George`s work is awesome ,such incredible attention to detail......even his sloppy is neat!

You are doing a very nice job on your Dart! On the blacked out support subject, I had a 68 Coronet R/T that was a 69,000 mile car. It was blue and had only one side of the core support blacked out. Whatever was used on it was pretty thick as well. Much thicker than just paint.

-
Back