69 Dart 340 Swinger

-
Hey Kim!
No, buddy, not yet. I'm still farting with the exhaust, the front windshield trim is giving me fits, I need another adult male to help me reinstall the hood, I need to buy a timing light so I can set the timing, then I have to get plates for it, as well as insurance.
I ordered a pipe bender and bought 20ft of 2" straight pipe and I'm going to try building my own front pipes.
I replaced the O ring for the fill tube on the trans dipstick, but I have yet to fill the trans for fear of another big mess on my garage floor! LOL

Thanks for askin though! It has to be running by Aug 28th because I want to pick the kids up from school on the first day back.

George

George, If I was physically closer I'de be over in a heartbeat to help you with the hood and see what we could do with the trim!

Please let me know how the exhaust bending and fitting goes for you. I've never done it and I'm curious.

You're an awesome Dad and I hope you make the deadline! Your children will be proud to be picked up is such a SWEET ride that they helped Dad work on and put together.

Kim

Thanks for the kind words, Kim.
Well, I got the damned windshield trim on, but not before scratching the paint on the cowl. I filled it in with a paint brush, and I'll see if I can "cut & buff" the area so it's not noticable.
As far as the exhaust, I have 2 short pieces of pipe that come down from the motor already. It seems the last owner cut the pipes about even with the bottom of the firewall, so I don't have to make the section of pipe that goes to the manifild; I only need to go from the firewall to the mufflers. There are quite a few bends to be made in this area, so it will be a challenge! Once I have it made, I'll weld the pass side together so it looks more factory, and leave the clamp on the drivers side as I heard that is how they were originally equipped.
I'm still tuning the engine, so for right now, leaving the hood off is probably a good thing. I need to play with the advance weight springs, the timing, and the carb adjustments.
As for the trans fluid leaks, replacing that fill tube O ring seemed to do the trick! I filled the trans back up, started the engine, and ran the shifter through all positions. I then shut it down, and walked away. I checked it about 10PM last night, and again this am, and no leaks!
There is now a new problem with the power brake booster. When I press the brake pedal down then release it, it seems the brakes don't release right away. It will take about 2 seconds before the car will move forward (or backwards) again. Am I possibly missing a spring, or could there be an internal issue with the booster?

Thanks for the interest Kim. I'll get a few more pix up in a while........

George

Here is the latest from just now; Sunday am..........
Even Chopper the cat was up checkin it out! LOL
I duplicated a pink inspection mark I found on the driveshaft.
I mounted a Sun old school oil gauge next to the column so I can keep an eye on the motor. I didn't have to make any holes, I just used an existing screw from the wire cover.
The biggest concern I have right now is the operation of the power brake booster. I am doubtful I can repair it if there is an internal problem, so sending it out is going to be my only (expensive) option.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: If I disconnect the vacuum hose to the booster, the brake pedal operates normally, less the power assist. Any ideas guys as to why it won't release right away??

As you can see, the hood has become a table in the garage.
The radiator will come out this winter for recore. It isn't leaking now, but several tubes have been soldered closed.

Thanks for lookin!

George

Dart 8-10-08 001.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 002.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 003.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 004.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 005.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 006.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 007.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 008.JPG

Dart 8-10-08 009.JPG

George,
Is your car a original power assist car?
For some reason brake push rod length comes to mind.

Yes, original power brake car.
One of my Corvette buddies seems to think the plunger is gummed up with old grease. Says I should clean it out and reassemble it with Vaseline.
Thoughts??

George

One of my Corvette buddies seems to think the plunger is gummed up with old grease. Says I should clean it out and reassemble it with Vaseline.
Thoughts??

George

Doubt that's the problem but could be worth a try. There's a guy called Bewster Dewey that rebuilds boosters for $125 or so. Super nice car, even the cat is cute!

Thoughts??

George

I love your car George! You really did a great job on the resto!

I also had a 1969 340 Dart Swinger, still miss that car.

Anyway, I sent my power brake booster (my 340 Swinger had the K-H factory discs) to Booster Dewey out on the West Coast (I want to say he was in Oregon, but that was in the 1990s so actually I'm not sure). One week turnaround and a first class rebuild job for $65 ! I'm sure he charges more today, but IMHO, his work was excellent.

Hemmings - Thats where he used to advertise in the Parts + Services section

George your Dart is amazing looking!!! I just shake my head when you wonder why I consider you to be the KING of all things 69 Dart? You are in my book the undisputed KING no doubt.

I noticed on the picture of your hood that the power buldge trim looks like it has black between the fins, can you either post another picture of them or PM me one. I'm trying to get mine back in shape and looking nice and never notice the black before. I need to figure out how far down to tape off the fins or is it just the top edge that is left chrome?

Thanks KING George.

Rich

Richie, yer freakin killin me dude! LOL

I tried to take a close up pic of the insert, but for some reason the forum won't let me post it. I even shrunk it down, but still won't work.

Anyway, the lower recesses of the insert have black paint, and the tips of the chrome fins are unpainted chrome. As far as I know, the paint on mine are original.
Hope this helps ya bud!

George

wish my dart would turn out like that.not enought money here tho.be proud she is sweet so far.cant waaite till its finished.Don.

Now that the project is back on track, I'll get some updated pictures of the car on this thread before Monday is over.
Thanks Don, for the kids words dude! I'm positive your Dart will be a real head turner for sure.

George

Well, aside from a front end alignment and replacing the power brake booster, the Dart is finished!
I just took the kids around the block. When we came upon our street, we french-fried the tires through 1st and 2nd gears EFFORTLESSLY! I didn't even feel the 727 shift gears. I really should put a sure-grip rear in this thing! LOL I guess the motor was close to 5000 RPM, although I don't have a tach in the car. It sounded awesome to me!

I may buy an electronic conversion kit, but it is running so good now I hate to mess with it. Something to do over the winter.
Also, over the winter I'll repaint the grill to the Swinger style paint. I painted it like the GTS grill last fall.

The project was started October 28th, 2007, and completed (less the alignment & booster) on Sept 1st, 2008. Ten months total work time.

I want to thank all of you that have helped with the project, from selling me parts at a great price, to free parts, to advice and words of encouragement. This car would NOT be finished without the help I received from all of you.

I hope to meet up with at least a few of you local guys at the shows next summer, and most likely at Chrysler Carlisle next July.

You MIGHT see it at the Southbury Training School show late this month if it keeps running as good as it is today!

Presenting, the Mopar Express Dodge!

George

dart finished75.jpg

dart finished76.jpg

dart finished78.jpg

dart finished79.jpg

dart finished80.jpg

dart finished81.jpg

dart finished82.jpg

A standing ovation for you King George!! It looks amazing, very nice job. I'm glad that you have a few months to enjoy it before it needs to go into hybernation. You should be very proud.

Rich

Great story and great car George! Get that booster and get ready for miles of smiles, while driving down the road!

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Stew

Nice job George! That picture of your son in front of the Dart will be a keeper for years to come, on both accounts.

Nice Job - That there is one fine specimen of Dart!!

George,
Thanks so much for sharring the build of your pristine Dart.
I used it on many occasions for either tech or inspiration.
Truely a wonderful car !
Have fun with it.
Take care.
John

George,
Where did you get your info as far as factory paint dabs/markings on the different parts of your car?
Thanks.
John

Wow thats a beauty, looks like it would have as a new born mopar back in '69. I love that color paint, '69 grilles and back ends look classy. You've done a nice job there:cheers:

George,
Where did you get your info as far as factory paint dabs/markings on the different parts of your car?
Thanks.
John
John-
Sorry, but I missed your question.
I only duplicated the inspection marks that I actually found on the car. I'm SURE there were some that were gone before I got there so don't use them as a Bible, but the ones that are there are documented real for this car.
Hope this helps ya some bud.

George

-
Back