69 Dart 340 Swinger

-
Hi KIm. Yep, trans was out, flexplate swapped, trans back in. Less than 2 hours. Not bad for an old guy huh?? LOL
I still need a starter, restore the driveshaft and replace the U joints, buy & install a windshield, buy/build an exhaust system, have the radiator recored, upper & lower rad hoses, and I SHOULD be ready to prime the oil pump and fire it up.
Question: How do you remove the oil pump drive so you can prime the oil pump? The intake manifold is still on the engine, and I don't see how the heck to snatch that thing out of there.

Thanks for askin Kim!

George

Grab that rascal with a needlenose plier from the center/side and give it a twist. It will come out of that hole.

Yes, that works. You can also bend a hanger and along with a long screw driver turn the gear backwards from rotation. It will force the gear and shaft up and brab it with the hook you made. Welding rod works to, a little stronger.

George,

Really fast for "An Old Man" on the transm. R&R! 8)

I look forward to hearing about your progress. Thanks Guy!

Thanks to you and Mike for the ideas on the pump drive.
I still gotta rebuild the distributor too.

George

George

George,
Being it's an automatic you have a single point dist. correct? I believe all 4-speeds had a dual point dist.

You don't know where a guy could come up with a good "4611SA" AVS carb. do you? I believe it's the correct carb. for my 69 4-speed.

Kim

George,
Being it's an automatic you have a single point dist. correct? I believe all 4-speeds had a dual point dist.

You don't know where a guy could come up with a good "4611SA" AVS carb. do you? I believe it's the correct carb. for my 69 4-speed.

Kim

The dual point was just part of the early 340 package whether they were AT or 4 spd.. The manuals did have a slightly hotter cam though. I have a couple Carter AVS carbs but I think they`re for AT`s. I`ll take a look and let you know if I have that number.

George ,if you do find a company that rebuilds the stock Prestolite dual points, please let me know. I`m also looking for a vacuum advance for the 68 year model.

The dual point was just part of the early 340 package whether they were AT or 4 spd.. The manuals did have a slightly hotter cam though. I have a couple Carter AVS carbs but I think they`re for AT`s. I`ll take a look and let you know if I have that number.

George ,if you do find a company that rebuilds the stock Prestolite dual points, please let me know. I`m also looking for a vacuum advance for the 68 year model.

Longgone, Thanks for the info. on the dist. Also Thank You for checking out your stock of AVS's

NBD, you`re welcome. It`ll be tomorrow before I get to check out those carbs. I`ll let you know if your number comes up.

Yep, 68 4 spd only had the hottest cam of ALL 340's, 68-73. I think it was 268/276 on autos, and 276/284 on 4 spds.

George

George,

I was a little lame in my explanation on the dist. drive gear. First before you attempt to pull it out you should put the engine @ TDC. This is to check and see how the slot is pointing on the drive gear. Look @ it and take note of the direction. Not knowing the history on your engine and whether it's ever been apart before or not. Off the top of my head, I believe the slot is supposed to run parallel with the camshaft. (I will have to look it up and get back to you). If it's not in the correct position than when you go to drop in the dist. it will not time properly because the vaccume advance will hit something. (yes, some people in the above case would just start moving plug wires in the dist. cap and make it work, though to make the car authentic as possible it should have the #1 spark plug wire in one particular hole on the cap and that's why you need to make sure the slot is aligned correctly)

Secondly, before pulling the gear out of the block take note of how deep the gear sits in the engine so that when you reinstall it it sits down in the engine the same depth. The reason for it not going back down as far would be that the drive gear has not aligned with the oil pump shaft and is being held up.

If none of this makes sense ship me off a message and I'll get back to you.

Kim

Here are some pix as of today. I put new rubber on it and took off the ugly Rally wheels.
I still need a windshield, exhaust pipes, have the radiator recored, and fix an oil leak at the front of the pan, and refit the lower hose to the water pump, bleed the brakes again, and figure out why my 3 speed wipers aren't working, and install the hood.
Hope ya's like the pix!!! Getting closer to that first cruise!

George

69 Dart reassembly108.jpg

69 Dart reassembly109.jpg

69 Dart reassembly110.jpg

69 Dart reassembly113.jpg

69 Dart reassembly117.jpg

69 Dart reassembly111.jpg

69 Dart reassembly112.jpg

69 Dart reassembly114.jpg

George,

The stripe looks great! Well, the whole car looks great for that matter!

Do some of the Swingers have the rims painted body color? I know the spare in my Swinger has the rim painted body color. Oh yea, still has the red stripe tire on it too!

cars with full wheel covers would have black rims. Cars with dog dish caps would be body color.

George,
You have done an amazing resto on that Dart, looks great,love all the detail that you have put into the project during the entire build. I'm sure the first cruise will be very satisfying.
Gary

George,
Everytime I see your car I wonder if I made the right choice in color. My Dart was a original light gold car, soon to be green go. Dig how your Dart is turning out.
Love the steel wheels to.
Maybe some red-line dog dishes?
Either way will look mean !!!!

Nevermind....Looking at previous pages,I see you have the red-lines ready to go !!!
Your car will look killer with them.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Adam, thanks for the wheel color lesson. I didn't know that. I thought all Darts had body color wheels. I painted these black because I think it looks better. This car came with "deluxe wheel covers" whatever those are.
Kim, thanks for all the help man. Especially the last couple of days.
John, I'm glad you like the color. It's not my first choice (I would have liked red) but I am trying to keep it as close to original condition as I can. I think you'll be happy with the green because it's so bright! The gold kinds "blends". LOL
Gary, that means a lot coming from you. I have been following your car as well. Nice work sir.

George

Dude - thats looking great - dont forget those front shocks (he he).

See ya, Bill

Thanks Bill. I spent the day restoring the driveshaft, and replacing the U joints. Also bled the brakes again and finally got a good pedal. I picked up a set of front shocks today, and I'll paint them black and install them tomorrow.

My 2 boys and I actually drove the car down the street and back today! First time I have driven it since I bought it. I got it up to about 30MPH and the trans shifts nicely. It felt great to see it rolling down the road. I can't wait till it's finished so I can take it for a long, long ride.

George

George - That must feel great to run down the road again and Im sure your boys were lovin it too - glad to hear your getting so close to cruzin.
Bill

Thanks Bill. I spent the day restoring the driveshaft, and replacing the U joints. Also bled the brakes again and finally got a good pedal. I picked up a set of front shocks today, and I'll paint them black and install them tomorrow.

My 2 boys and I actually drove the car down the street and back today! First time I have driven it since I bought it. I got it up to about 30MPH and the trans shifts nicely. It felt great to see it rolling down the road. I can't wait till it's finished so I can take it for a long, long ride.

George

Well George,
How's the progress, any long rides yet?

Kim

Hey Kim!
No, buddy, not yet. I'm still farting with the exhaust, the front windshield trim is giving me fits, I need another adult male to help me reinstall the hood, I need to buy a timing light so I can set the timing, then I have to get plates for it, as well as insurance.
I ordered a pipe bender and bought 20ft of 2" straight pipe and I'm going to try building my own front pipes.
I replaced the O ring for the fill tube on the trans dipstick, but I have yet to fill the trans for fear of another big mess on my garage floor! LOL

Thanks for askin though! It has to be running by Aug 28th because I want to pick the kids up from school on the first day back.

George

-
Back