'69 Dart Custom Timing Trouble

-

SkiP!

Reaction score
I have a '69 Dart-Custom, I just had a complete valve job done, but the new timing chain/gears don't line up...it's off one tooth and not even the "mechanic" can figure out why it doesn't match...damsel in distress...any ideas, I'm running out of money and I need to get it running ASAP!

Not really sure, just a stab here...Is it possible your harmonic balancer outer ring has shifted from the crank? this could put your timing scale TDC out by a few degrees when lining up the cam...(I think).:read2:

I have a '69 Dart-Custom, I just had a complete valve job done, but the new timing chain/gears don't line up...it's off one tooth and not even the "mechanic" can figure out why it doesn't match...damsel in distress...any ideas, I'm running out of money and I need to get it running ASAP!

I guess since they don't line up couldn't you use offset cam keys that can be used in degreeing the cam to rotate the cam for the dots to line up. Are you degreeing the cam or just lining up the dots?

Check the accuracy of the timing mark on the outer ring of the harmonic balancer by bringing the the #1 piston to TDC and checking to see if the marks line up. This is best done with a dial style micrometer and the heads off. A piston stop can give excellent results too if the heads are already bolted on.

Once TDC is determined, the cam should be degreed. I wouldn't trust the dots. The dots are a guide line and can be used for a stock rebuild, but I would never trust them for a performance engine.

Oh yeah, on a Mopar small block, the cam spocket dot should be at 12 O'Clock and the crank sprocket dot should be at 12 O'Clock when the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Oh yeah, on a Mopar small block, the cam spocket dot should be at 12 O'Clock and the crank sprocket dot should be at 12 O'Clock when the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Do you mean like circles on the left or the circles on the right? The circle on top is the cam of course.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    39.1 KB · Views: 223
Mullinax,

Circles on the right. Threw me off the first time I did a Mopar rebuild.

Muller,

How could that be? She mentions a chain.

Slant six's use a chain they are not straight gear drive. If the gears can't be made to line up then I would say that one of the gears are mis-marked. If it is off one tooth just take off the chain move the gear one tooth and re-install the chain.

Chuck

You guys are showing a LA and she has a slant six. But the circles on the left are when #6 is firing and the circles on the right is when #1 is firing.

Chuck

You guys are showing a LA and she has a slant six. But the circles on the left are when #6 is firing and the circles on the right is when #1 is firing.

Chuck

Yeah I realize she has a /6 but what ramcharger said about the timing marks for the small block mopar is confusing me. My question is that I always thought the cam dot should be like in the picture I drew above on the left. Like this :

http://books.google.com/books?id=uz...ts=ZP3Fq5b6-D&sig=i_Gqw3wlqILhBBtKBcnL54XUEcU

Am I missing something here?

The timing marks are actually both ways in a motor. I put then like you show in your drawing at the left because it is easier, but if you rotate the motor over so #1 is on top dead center compression stroke the timing marks will look like your drawing on the right.

Chuck

The timing marks are actually both ways in a motor. I put then like you show in your drawing at the left because it is easier, but if you rotate the motor over so #1 is on top dead center compression stroke the timing marks will look like your drawing on the right.

Chuck

Oh ok. I see now.

Thanks.

The first time I opened up a /6 timing cover I was surprised to see a chain. Before I owned Mopars I was used to working on GM 6's which are gear driven.

Chuck

The first time I opened up a /6 timing cover I was surprised to see a chain. Before I owned Mopars I was used to working on GM 6's which are gear driven.

Chuck

That's exactly the mistake I just made. A few of my friends in the early 80's had slants, but we never had to open 'em up. They just ran.

-
Back