69 Dart door glass alignment...

-

694spd

Reaction score
The the driver's door glass is not parallel with the upper weather stripping when the window is all the way up. I have the FSM, but the descriptions are a little vague how to align the window. It sounds like the wing vent frame will have to be tilted forward, but there in no extra clearance in the upper corner of the of the wing vent to the upper weather stripping.
Any ideas here?

105_4444.JPG

105_4443.JPG

In my experience you either have a broken roller or misadjusted stop for the up travel limit.
You'll probably see the problem when the door panel is off.
The vent window look like it's right where it should be, and the tracks (guides) rarely move for no reason so look for broken rollers or other regulator mechanism issue's.

There are glass tilt adjustments on the door under the panel, but those are usually only needed for fine tuning.

Last edited:
What does door alignment look like? Worn hinges, especially lower hinge, causes the same issue. Since this is at drivers door....

The door alignment is not bad between the door and front fender. At the quarter there are some issues. The car had a new quarter hung on it when the car was 3 months old. They did a pretty poor job by today's standards.

105_4454.JPG

105_4453.JPG

In my experience you either have a broken roller or misadjusted stop for the up travel limit.
You'll probably see the problem when the door panel is off.
The vent window look like it's right where it should be, and the tracks (guides) rarely move for no reason so look for broken rollers or other regulator mechanism issue's.

There are glass tilt adjustments on the door under the panel, but those are usually only needed for fine tuning.
I have the inside panel off and I was at first thinking that the window up travel limit adjustment was what needed attention, but I'm unable to locate where that travel limit adjustment is made inside the door.

I have the inside panel off and I was at first thinking that the window up travel limit adjustment was what needed attention, but I'm unable to locate where that travel limit adjustment is made inside the door.

On the 69 I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty good with the internet.
Maybe I can find out and get back to you.

On my car (73 Dart) I like the glass to stop before it goes down past the window whiskers (less able to rattle), so I lightly pinched both tracks where I wanted the rollers to stop.
Worked great.
This is the glass and roller track on a Charger (which are really close to the dart if not exact.
At the end of that arm you see that button looking head?
There is a roller on that pin on the other side of that arm.
Your window looks to be too low almost exactly the amount the missing roller would let the glass drop on one end.
Another way to darn near prove that easily is to lift on that end of the glass and see if the glass moves a lot more up and down that that arm does.
Sometimes the busted up roller is even in the bottom of the door.
I think that is what is wrong with your glass.
index.php

Last edited:
The body lines don't look too bad ( waay to close at the bottom corner ). How do we know the body shop didn't work the quarter to a sagged door? Open the door a couple inches, grab that lower corner and lift. That'll show you wear in the lower hinge if its there. Lets hope the glass issue will adjust away regardless.
One of the stops is a eccentric block by the ring gear of the regulator. Hex head with a flat head slot in its center. I forget is that up or down stop. Other stop is 'L' shaped block mounted on the door with a single bolt in a slotted hole. Good luck with it.

I am in the middle of a similar "door reassembly situation" I wll add my .02. I do know from trial and error that the wing window "assembly has the "in/out" adjuster at the front edge of the door behind a plastic plug. I kind of got the vent window where I wanted it by hand by loosening all the fasteners on everything, the vent window front adjuster, the allen bolt inside the little hole in the top of the door trim panel, the bolt at the top edge of where the front side of the vent meets the door (under the rubber weatherstrip) also, the rear door guide channel, I loosened as well as the window regulators also, don't forget the locator stud at the bottom of the vent channel. Basically , get the window as close as you can by moving it around, snug things down, and "tweak" from there. I wouldn't get into aligning the door itself if it hasn't been disturbed and you think its good to go. Also, there is a little plastic "stop" in the rear corner of the window, not sure what that is for, if yours is missing there will be a hole about 1/4 inch diameter in the rear corner of the glass.

The body lines don't look too bad ( waay to close at the bottom corner ). How do we know the body shop didn't work the quarter to a sagged door? Open the door a couple inches, grab that lower corner and lift. That'll show you wear in the lower hinge if its there. Lets hope the glass issue will adjust away regardless.
One of the stops is a eccentric block by the ring gear of the regulator. Hex head with a flat head slot in its center. I forget is that up or down stop. Other stop is 'L' shaped block mounted on the door with a single bolt in a slotted hole. Good luck with it.

I don't believe that the car had a sagging door when the quarter was hung. The car was only 2 months old when he crashed it.
I measured the height of the glass at the rear of the door with the window all the way up. The drivers side was 3/8" lower than the passenger side is. So the glass is the problem. It is not parallel to the weather stripping. So it seems that I will have to tilt the front track. to get the rear of the glass up. I did check the roller and it is still intact.
Does anyone know what this stud in the picture adjusts?

105_4466.JPG

I don't believe that the car had a sagging door when the quarter was hung. The car was only 2 months old when he crashed it.
I measured the height of the glass at the rear of the door with the window all the way up. The drivers side was 3/8" lower than the passenger side is. So the glass is the problem. It is not parallel to the weather stripping. So it seems that I will have to tilt the front track. to get the rear of the glass up. I did check the roller and it is still intact.

View attachment 1715090079
I believe that is part of the regulator, maybe a "lash adjuster?" I haven't had to play around with that yet. That little plastic clip under the "vent window channel fuzzy" weather strip didn't let loose did it" I just cant imagine how the vent window assembly (adjustment) could have came loose and shifted that much. There are two plastic clips that hold the window channel felt to the glass, if the top one were to break or release from the glass, it may tilt like in your first photo I am thinking. Did you grab the glass and check for play? is it able to move back into proper position by hand?

Last edited:

View attachment 1715090079
That is the eccentric stop in the regulator although I do believe it limits down travel.

More pictures... I did make a little improvement to the glass fitment. I was able to get the rear up some by tilting the wing vent post forward, but the fit at the front edge of the wing vent to the roof weather stripping is very tight. You can compare these pictures to the before ones at the top of the post.
I would have probably have to move the door rearward to gain any clearance in that area, but then I have the problem of the lack of clearance at the bottom of the door where it meets the quarter.

105_4463.JPG

105_4461.JPG

That is the eccentric stop in the regulator although I do believe it limits down travel.
I can tell, I don`t know as much about this as trailbeast, but, hardly any of these early A bodies came out exactly the same. I bought a brand new 68 form S fastback in 1968, was my first new car. It window leaked , Chrysler mech. couldn`t stop. The cars were not comp. designed the way cars are now, u may never be able to get it right. I worked on putting my currant 68 fish, (that someone else took apart) for about 3 months off and on. Even elongated the adjusting holes as far as I could, got it about as good as it`s going to get. Do have a small gap at the top of the wing window-about 1/16" think I`m going to do a little rubber work on the seal. If your car has had rear 1/4`s put on it, they may be farther out a hair than normal too. Sometimes u gotta do the best u can.

I have the same problem too. I was going to work on it this winter. The vent is tight against the frame and window is dropping. My car is a complete restoration and new items hinges and window mechanisms.
I would be interested in what you find out. Good luck.

@694spd

Did you ever get things right or even better than your last photos?

I have the same issue in my 67 Dart convertible drivers side (drivers side rear quarter hit and bondo-ed in the 60s, hit and reskinned in the 80s ) my glass will rock in and out of the vent window when all the way up so I might have broken slide there. my vent window assy is parallel to the A pillar trim and quite close. My door hinges are warn ( can lift up whe door is slightly open. have replacements and will do that first)

thoughts anyone!

@694spd

Did you ever get things right or even better than your last photos?

I have the same issue in my 67 Dart convertible drivers side (drivers side rear quarter hit and bondo-ed in the 60s, hit and reskinned in the 80s ) my glass will rock in and out of the vent window when all the way up so I might have broken slide there. my vent window assy is parallel to the A pillar trim and quite close. My door hinges are warn ( can lift up whe door is slightly open. have replacements and will do that first)

thoughts anyone!

What you see in my post #12 was my last attempt to improve the glass alignment.

I have the same problem on my '65 dart 270 hardtop. There is no way to adjust the window to the proper position, the rear of the glass doesn't go to level with the roof. The door opens and shuts just fine and doesn't sag.
IMG_4227.jpg

Back from the dead!

2932230_REPRODUCTION_2000__62142.1575004543.jpg

Mopar 66 67 68 69 70 B-Body 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 A-Body 65 66 67 68 C-Body Door Glass Window Channel Run PN#2932230 - Vans Auto
I was searching for a window channel guide kit and found this thread. I'm working on a 69 dart and the window was cocked. When I took it out I found these clips busted. They keep the window straight as the window goes up. Easy test would be to see if you can move the glass towards the vent window with the window all the way up and the door open.

Last edited:
-
Back