69 Dart GT Conv. 340-6pak

-
This weekend I felt the need to install the Schumacher Torque Strap to prevent too much engine twist since my hoses are mostly solid and not too flexible. The radiator was out since I had been polishing it and it gave me a little more room to work. For the most part the strap mount that goes on top of the K member lip, fit OK at best. I wanted a little better fit so I took it to the belt sander and took off enough material to make more clearance on each end since there ls not much room for error in the drilling of the mounting holes. All in all, it was a pretty easy install. I think if i had used a later model K member with the sway bar holes, it would have been a snap. Once again it was back to work polishing the radiator uuuugggghhh!!! I spent another 5 hours polishing it. It's done now, but I have a little haze on it, gotta find some kind of polish to take it out, any ideas? I posted this question in the General Disscussion Board also. When I had my gauge cluster restored, I neglected to have them zero the odometer, so this weekend I had a friend of mine come over and he took it apart and set it. I must say, I don't think I could have done it with out pulling my hair out strand by strand, but he made it look easy.

View attachment 1714755452

View attachment 1714755453

View attachment 1714755454

View attachment 1714755455

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

The weekend didn't go quite the way I had it planned, but I did get a little accomplished. The radiator took much longer than I had anticipated to polish, so I just got around to installing it, the AC condenser and upper hose this weekend. I had a brain freeze when I installed the radiator and realized that I had forgotten to put the AC condenser in place, so I had to pull it back out for the condenser install, but all is in place now. The last thing to do is put the lower hose on and reinstall the trans lines to the radiator. Next up will be the front sway bar install.

View attachment IMG_3603.jpg

View attachment IMG_3605.jpg

View attachment IMG_3604.jpg

My son is in HS Marching band and we are booster parents and October is competition month and leaves little time for anything else. I did however manage to get a couple of things done. I installed the newly powder coated Adco sway bar and started putting together the dash frame prior to installing it in the car. On the dash frame I fitted the dual speaker adapter and will remove it next weekend to make the holes a little larger so I can mount the speakers thru it instead of under it, I think it will make them more stable on the adapter. The Tune Trapper antenna was simple to install, all I had to do was mock up where things under the dash went and find a spot that was empty, preferably somewhere near the center of the frame, though it probably wouldn't make a difference where it was mounted. I then moved on to the dash pad. It went on with no issues. What do you guys think about the white on the green? The dash pad is the exact color of the seats,door panels,console etc. Hopefully, I will be able to continue putting together the frame next weekend...

View attachment 1714760181

View attachment 1714760182

View attachment 1714760183

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

Had a couple of minutes today and finally got the Memphis Sounds speakers mounted in the dash. They fitted well, so I did'nt have to modify the mounting bracket at all. I just drilled the bracket for the speaker screws and spaced the the bracket down 3/16" to allow room for the tweeter heads (not wanting them too close to the dash grille) and the gasket that I installed on the speaker mounting bracket. I then mounted the new ignition switch and the painted bezel in the dash frame. That was pretty much all the time I had to work with today...

View attachment 1714761290

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

Today I had a chance to meet HemiDenny at the show in Henderson N.C. I must say he is a super nice guy and I had a great time talking to him and Old Man Mopar! These guys rock! Denny has the smoothest Duster I have ever seen, his quality of material and workmanship is impeccable. He let me sit in it and even gave me the keys to take it for a spin and needless to say I didn't have the guts.... Nice to meet you both,
Martin

View attachment IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3625.JPG

Well as most of you know, I have been off the grid for a couple of months now working with my son and his school band with competitions, concerts and such. So anyway, I finally got all the interior panels, headrests, seatbelt covers, etc., dyed and green applied to the rear vert panels. I followed DA69RT GT (thanks Doug)'s lead with the idea of adding body color to the top of the rear vert panels. I also added green to the bottom to kinda flow with the lower green on the inside of the doors. They came out great! Hopefully a day or so after Christmas, I can get back to the shop for some much needed therapy with just me and my Dart. Wish me luck.....

View attachment 1714778422

View attachment 1714778423

IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

No progress yet, I haven't had much time between work and life happening. hopefully this weekend i can get some time in the barn.

Welcome Back Martin! Can't wait to see what you have in store :) I'm still studying for my exam so the project is on the back burner for a while longer.

Hey Al,
Down time on occasion is not all a bad thing, it gives you time to think before you leap. Hope you and yours the best for Christmas, and good luck on the exam.

Eons ago I had installed the stainless 3/8" fuel line on the Dart. From the tank to the engine all tucked nicely in the corners and tightly fit to the underside all finished, until one day I happened to ask myself, "Self, did you put an inline fuel filter anywhere on this set up?" The answer was "NO!!!" So I started the task of trying to find a location to put one with out cutting the stainless line, since it fits so tight. At the tank was too close to add one, so the only place to put one is just prior to the fuel pump. I ordered 2 different filters and both were too long for the location. We went on vacation in November to Daytona for the Turkey Rod Run and I found an RPC that was short enough to fit. Today I put it on and it fits great. Started back on the dash reassembly. Started working on the glove box that came with the Classic Auto Air kit, but it just does not fit as nice as I would like, so I'm going to make it the way I want it,wish me luck...

IMG_0058.jpg

This weekend I cut to length, crimped and put all but one of the AC hoses on. I still have to put the hose separators on and mount the lines to the inner fender well. After that I started back on the dash frame reassembly. I finally got the radio mounted by using a custom made mounting bracket that I made. I didn't like the glove box that came with the AC kit, so I made one. I never liked the idea of hearing stuff sliding around in side of a dash pocket, so I covered mine with no slip material (the same stuff that tool companies sell to put in tool boxes etc.). I installed the glove box door hinge and cable. I hope to put the door on and finsih the dash frame this weekend...

View attachment 1714790167

View attachment 1714790168

View attachment 1714790169

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.JPG

Martin - Aren't you done yet? Just kidding. Looks awesome bud!!!!

Hey Mark how have you been? I appreciate it. I was kinda hoping that you would show me some pitty and come and finish this thing for me. Any chance of that? Hope we can get together at Carlisle this year......

Well the stars are finally aligned once more and the dash is complete. Seems like a millennium ago I started assembling the dash frame and one issue after another kept slowing me down. I finished the glove box door today and now its ready to be installed in the car. The glove box with no slip liner, that I made, fit like a glove (no pun intended). My plan is to have a couple of motor heads come over next Saturday and muscle it in place while I'm under the dash guiding cables, wires and putting the retaining bolts in, on top. I had my Ace mechanic "Andrew" hold the dash up for photo's.

View attachment 1714791730

View attachment 1714791731

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0167.JPG

Hey Mark how have you been? I appreciate it. I was kinda hoping that you would show me some pitty and come and finish this thing for me. Any chance of that? Hope we can get together at Carlisle this year......

Been doin ok Martin, thanks. NC is a long trek from PA my friend. If ya were closer, I'd be there. Carlisle, for sure. I'll definitely have my sunglasses on at Carlisle, especially if the sun is out. Those colors are outrageous, but awesome!!!!

-
Back