69 dart gt

-

m45

Reaction score
This is my new car ! found it in chandler Oklahoma and it seems to be a fairly solid car so it will soon be in my garage. My first car was a 69 dart so this will be a real pleasure to work on and hopefully wont take me forever! looking at maybe 24 months for the project but like I always say "A plan is good until the first bullit is fired".

Attachments

• Attachments_2013717 (1).zip
    93.4 KB · Views: 100
unzipped the pics :D

Attachments

• 20130704_140743.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 20130704_140815.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 20130704_140759.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 391
First, welcome to FABO! You're going to have fun here - the best Mopar site on the web.
Second, congrats on your new "toy". What are you plans for it? Resto? Restomod? Or????
My first Mopar was a '69 340 Swinger and it left a big hole when I stupidly sold it years ago - and the main reason I'm in the middle of a '69 Dart project now.
Keep us updated with lots of pics as you progress.

Strongly considering protouring, I have been doing alot of research on the protouring sites and I like the idea of a great handling car that is good for long interstate use.

This one is about what I'm shooting for. Forgot the member's name but he's on FABO. (might be sublime 69)

Attachments

• sublime 69.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 348
Yes! that is a very nice stance and tire /wheels look great ,it looks like we are shooting for a very similiar look! have you decided what you will be doing suspension wise?. I'm wanting to keep the leafs but move them in and I'm considering the TVS but I dont think moving the leafs in is possible with the TVS sway bar. As far as the front I want to weld up the K member and do what I can to stiffen up the front but still doing research on it so....

Good luck on your project! You'll find plenty of help and parts here!

Sounds like we're on the same track. I've shortened a Ford 8.8 4:10 ratio with posi and will be moving springs to the frame rails. Also using sliders on the rear.

My K is all welded up with skid plate and tow ring incorporated. LCAs reinforced. It's all in the thread. I'm not a pro at all this but feel free to inquire about what I've done.

Here's a shot of steering box mount reinforcement.

Attachments

• steering box reinforce 2 (640x480).jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 337
Idaho, what did you use as a guide as far as what to weld up on your k member?
and mine is a /6 so should I swap it out or will it work?..

Here's a thread with lots of info:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=203136

Here's a /6 to V8 conversion bracket.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/67.72aBody.html

Here's a company selling reinforced K members.
http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_a.htm

There are pics of what I did in my build thread. If you are replacing the /6 with a V8 you will need a different K or a bracket. I would get the right K member.

This is an interesting article by a mopar legend.
[ame]http://www.firmfeel.com/img/Primesteer.pdf[/ame]

Don't know anyone who's done this mod but the K member info is good. He points out it flexes. How much of the mods are needed is debatable. I took it as an opportunity to practise mig welding. It's not seen much when done :)

The skid plate is practical as a jacking point. Without it jacking makes dents. The tow hook is easy to do and might be useful. Just look at it and weld everything that the factory spotted. Re-weld what looks like it could use it. On the steering box, just fill in the openings you see so it is boxed. You need to make two gussets. It's easy to make it fit one side, weld it down, then cut the other side to fit and weld.

Getting the oily gunk out of the inside can be a pain. If you don't, get ready to roast marshmallows with the fire part way through welding. If doing it again, I'd see if a rad shop would dip it for me.

For finishing I used POR15. For the inside, I tied a pom pom to a flexible wire to smear it around.

Do you know what engine you're using?

Thanks Idaho! I will start looking for the correct k member and most likely order the FFI kit.Still undecided on the engine but I am seriously considering an ls.

Lots of "bang for the buck" potential with that as long as you have some fab skills. Unfortunately you will hear from the purists on this site if you go that route.
I say do What makes sense to you.

cool car-- thought you were close I have a spare 69 p/s door in Kansas, Lawrence

Lots of "bang for the buck" potential with that as long as you have some fab skills. Unfortunately you will hear from the purists on this site if you go that route.
I say do What makes sense to you.
It's a thought and my fab skills are not at the level they should be but I think I could pull it off with some help and advice when the time comes,cant get better sittin on the side . I have an 05 gto with an ls2 and the performance I get out of that car is great at around 700lbs heavier.

cool car-- thought you were close I have a spare 69 p/s door in Kansas, Lawrence
Thanks VDART ! if I can't locate a decent door closer I might make a trip in your direction, I have a few relatives in Topeka....What kind of shape is your door in?

I was told 74 doors will work but not the glass ? If this is true ive got both doors in tulsa . (I dont know the later darts ) Im a 63 to 66 guy . So DONT take my word on thay will fit .

door is in good shape -- if we go that road will re-inspect to verify & will also send pics--- & no a 74 door will be different no vent wing is there? Lawrence

door is in good shape -- if we go that road will re-inspect to verify & will also send pics--- & no a 74 door will be different no vent wing is there? Lawrence
VDART i will be back in oklahoma at the end of august! I did a little searching and not having any luck yet with a door close by so if you want to send some pics that would be great!

-
Back