69 dart wiring issue?

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I had a slant 6 non electronic ignition, swapped out for a 74 318 with electronic ignition. I put the electronic ignition into the 69 dart with the 74 ballast resister and voltage regulator.
The car runs great but I have gone through three batteries, thinking that there was a short or draw when parked. Now I thinking I'm cooking the batteries up when driving it? I have the 74 and 69 wiring diagrams. There is one blue wire that is on the top of the middle clip on the fire wall that I'm not sure where it goes, I have it tied into the main red that goes to the alternator. Anyone have a 69 with electronic that they could check.
The reason I'm thinking it ids cooking the batteries is the ballast resistor gets red hot burn your finger if just drove a mile or so? Like I said I have drove the car like this for about 2000 miles with out an issue except after being parked I find the batteries is dead.Thanks for the help
IMG_1193.jpg

If you can get a test light and put it between the negitive battery cable and the negitive battery post. If the light comes on you have a draw. The blue wires are hot when the switch is on. Like 1 feeds the voltage regulator, one feeds the altenater, one feeds igniton. The larger red battery wire is hot at all times and shouldn't have anything tied into it. Sounds like you are feeding power back to the ignition switch on a blue wire when the switch is off.
If you cook a battery you have a mess in the battery tray and possibly on the underside of the hood.
The ballast resistor is supposed to get hot. Thats whay its made of ceramic.

The 69 wiring harness middle plug has a blue wire with white strip. That wire should go strait to the main red wire for the alternator? I have the blue wire leading from the ballast resistor tied to the main red . The main red leads to the alternator then it is looped to the voltage regulator. The alternator has three wires. the main black wire from the harness,the green wire from the voltage reg and the main red from the ? should I have the blue wire with white strip off the harness tied to the main red? then where does the solid blue wire go off the ballast resistor? I have the four wire 74 ballast resistor? Thanks The four wire ballast resistor has a loop on one side which side shoud that be on. Thanks

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc. car info/ecudia.jpg
ecudia.jpg

dartwiringecuandalternator011.jpg
dartwiringecuandalternator004.jpg
Here are a couple of photo's I took including a relay that I eliminated when getting the car running because when I jumped the yellow wire direct to the starter siliniod it fired right up.
dartwiringecuandalternator014.jpg
dartwiringecuandalternator008.jpg

The first picture is the main red to alternator tied to the blue with white strip and then the solid blue off ballast. The alternator wire and voltage reg,
The one of the relay was next to the ballast resistor where the yellow came off the harness and went to the relay then a brown wire tied it to the ballast resistor. I couldn't get my car running after I swapped the motor and ecu till I jumped the yellow strait to the starter relay and has been like that ever since? This could be my main problem why the ballast is getting hot. I'm thinking that the coil is getting 12 volts all the time instead of just when you in the start position? Not sure. I have a member who offered to look at his 69 to see the way it is wired with electronic ignition.

I want to help but I'm not sure I can. I dont have a 69 or a 74 cars or those manuals.
All I can tell you is what I know. Originally there was a little blue wire that fed 12 volts at switch on to the top of the original voltage regulator. So when the factory needed another similar wire for the isolated field altenater they went back up under the tape on the wiring harness where it cant be seen and bonded another blue wire to the one they already had.
When they needed yet another blue 12 volt at switch on for electronic ignition they did the same thing again.
Someone else will have to help you determine what is what in those pics. I can't.
Good luck

you have to wire the newer regulator and ign as separate systems..

here is what i would do...

first throw that seat belt thing in the trash..

then start over. leave the electronic dist in there.

put the 2 prong ballast back in.

run the black/yellow wire from the ecu to the negative side of the coil.

run the blue/yellow wire to from the ecu to the key (run position) side of the ballast.

plug the dist in.

thats it the electronic ign system is done...

now the charging system.. its easy...

first put your dual fld alt on...

hook the two wires up as normal..

now run a wire from the second fld terminal all the way to the same side of the ballast that you tied the electronic ign in on.

and your done...

dartwiringecuandalternator011.jpg
Here are a couple of photo's I took including a relay that I eliminated when getting the car running because when I jumped the yellow wire direct to the starter siliniod it fired right up.
dartwiringecuandalternator014.jpg
dartwiringecuandalternator008.jpg

So I wired the brown off the harness to the left side of ballast, then off the same side ran a wire to the coil positive. The other side of the ballast I ran the blue with white strip to ballast and then a wire strait over to the alternator. I left all the wires that ran to the distributor and from the ecu to the ballast Light blue to the ecu from the ballast and black with yellow to the distributor. Just had to add a few wires
The car fired right up but I'm back to the same issue the ballast got red hot {burning hot, can not touch} in a minute. It never got hot when I had a slant six or without electronic ignition. I'm afraid it will roast the wires or worst a fire? Could a bad ballast do this or is something not quit right with the wiring?
The first picture is the main red to alternator tied to the blue with white strip and then the solid blue off ballast. The alternator wire and voltage reg,
The one of the relay was next to the ballast resistor where the yellow came off the harness and went to the relay then a brown wire tied it to the ballast resistor. I couldn't get my car running after I swapped the motor and ecu till I jumped the yellow strait to the starter relay and has been like that ever since? This could be my main problem why the ballast is getting hot. I'm thinking that the coil is getting 12 volts all the time instead of just when you in the start position? Not sure. I have a member who offered to look at his 69 to see the way it is wired with electronic ignition.

Any suggestions?

-
Back