69 Dodge Dart GTS - Opinions

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but an active member on the forbbodiesonly.com site. I was offered a trade for my 71 GTX resto-mod that I have been putting together for the past 3 years. The shop owner has the following 69 Dart GTS that has been modified as a pro-tour car. Just trying to do my due diligence on the car before I contemplate the deal. Looking for input on this car and potential value down the line. It is a 69 Dart GTS, but has a crate 426 Hemi in the car, along with a customized interior and body. Please take a look at the photos and tell me what you guys think.

20170729_091345.jpg
20170729_091426.jpg
20170729_091445.jpg
20170729_091455.jpg
20170729_091434.jpg
20170729_091355.jpg
20170729_091603.jpg
20170729_091406.jpg
20170729_091419.jpg
20170729_091507.jpg
20170729_091414.jpg
20170729_091542.jpg
20170729_091556.jpg

Thanks,

Craig

its a cool car if thats what youre into,,,but why is the owner looking to get out of it? the hemi is neat,,but with so many changes done, it pretty much negates the gts nomenclature,,there's really nothing gts left,,,if u have a highly modified car,,,and thats your thing,,and youre considering making the swap to another highly modified car,,then it should just be based on whether it runs and drives good, and whether you like the body style. nobodies opinions or thoughts should really even be factor,,,just mho,,,

Judging from dash, taillights and side markers, it's actually a '68...check the title to be sure. Not my cup of tea (I'm into stock), but looks to be well done so far.

I also agree with "jacks68gts"...with all the mods, that could have started out a plain, regular 6cyl Dart, so any "GTS" properties it may have had are gone......I wouldn't put much weight on the "GTS" moniker here.

Last edited:
its a cool car if thats what youre into,,,but why is the owner looking to get out of it? the hemi is neat,,but with so many changes done, it pretty much negates the gts nomenclature,,there's really nothing gts left,,,if u have a highly modified car,,,and thats your thing,,and youre considering making the swap to another highly modified car,,then it should just be based on whether it runs and drives good, and whether you like the body style. nobodies opinions or thoughts should really even be factor,,,just mho,,,

I was wrong, it is a 68. The shop owner actually owns the car and has several cars he is building. I don't get the sense he is strapped for cash or anything like that. My GTX is a restomod, but has the numbers matching engine & tranny, along with original rearend and nothing was done that altered the car to the point where it couldn't be brought back to stock. I just mentioned that I liked the Dart, and was lamenting that the GTX is still about a year from being completed - that's what sparked up the conversation about trading. Since I don't know much about Darts or their resale, I figured this would be the best place to get an honest opinion and points of view I have not considered. Thanks for the comments !

I was wrong, it is a 68. The shop owner actually owns the car and has several cars he is building. I don't get the sense he is strapped for cash or anything like that. My GTX is a restomod, but has the numbers matching engine & tranny, along with original rearend and nothing was done that altered the car to the point where it couldn't be brought back to stock. I just mentioned that I liked the Dart, and was lamenting that the GTX is still about a year from being completed - that's what sparked up the conversation about trading. Since I don't know much about Darts or their resale, I figured this would be the best place to get an honest opinion and points of view I have not considered. Thanks for the comments !

Well, just hang in there...you'll get opinions, alright....some you may not like!:steering:

I agree with what others have said. That car is so different from what a GTS came with, the seller should be adding no price premium for it originally being a GTS. Ask him what his asking price would be if the Dart started life as a slant 6 car since it would probably be a few $$$ less than what he's asking for it being a GTS. That slant 6 price plus the mods he made to it is what it is worth not the price of a GTS plus the mods he put into it.

wow... pretty cool resto rod....
You say it's a real GTS but really nothing about the way it looks from the pictures screams GTS. I love that it's an A-body and maybe in some eyes its a waist of a real 68 gts (depending on what condition they started with) but I think its just missing a few details to correct that.
If I had the opportunity to own it I would since it is a true GTS put all the GTS (or maybe GSS) badges back on and do a custom hood using the factory bulge hood with 68 inserts that makes a GTS a GTS. Also add the front marker lights (because it just looks wrong without them) and a 4 point role cage for 5 point harness since the back seat is deleted to show you mean business. Sweet car, hope you get it. pics of what you are thinking of trading?

wow... pretty cool resto rod....
You say it's a real GTS but really nothing about the way it looks from the pictures screams GTS. I love that it's an A-body and maybe in some eyes its a waist of a real 68 gts (depending on what condition they started with) but I think its just missing a few details to correct that.
If I had the opportunity to own it I would since it is a true GTS put all the GTS (or maybe GSS) badges back on and do a custom hood using the factory bulge hood with 68 inserts that makes a GTS a GTS. Also add the front marker lights (because it just looks wrong without them) and a 4 point role cage for 5 point harness since the back seat is deleted to show you mean business. Sweet car, hope you get it. pics of what you are thinking of trading?

Here is my 71 GTX - I do love this car and it's a hard choice. I have years into this project, but it has been a money pit for sure and I am probably another year away from driving it. I am also being relocated for work to Florida, which means I won't be here to watch over the remaining build items.

Here is the before:
GTX-6.jpg

Here is where it is today:
GTX-1.jpg
GTX-2.jpg
GTX-3.jpg
GTX-5.jpg
GTX-7.jpg

I really appreciate the comments. I will have to talk to the owner and get proof of the GTS claims and see what parts he has left over from build. My biggest concern is the value of the Dart. Now that it has been modified it's pretty subjective and I just don't know enough about A bodies to know if I am getting taken.

Craig

At this point, due to the mods, whether or not it is a GTS is irrelevant. It is just badging for people to look ar when you drive by. Personally it is not my favourite, but then I am not into the pro touring scene and things like carburetors (as opposed to fuel injection, if it is "modern" should be efi) and the auto trans actually decrease value for me.

Bear in mind that it is beyond anything I will ever afford or drive, but given a choice I would prefer a factory GTS with a standard trans.

BTW -- Welcome --- From Pa. -- I agree with 65Val, You'll get lots of input, here.

A couple more things to consider. Mopar people are very opinionated about Fender tags and or build sheets as well as if the car is numbers matching. You said your car is numbers matching (big plus) do you have the fender tag and or build sheet? In stock form a numbers matching 71 GTX will be worth more then a non-numbers matching 68 dart 340 GTS in comparable condition. So base car vs base car you 71 is ahead. and if the 68 GTS does not have a fender tag and or build sheet that's another hit.

The retro rod part is probably pretty close to the same money to do give or take especially since it looks like it's being done by the same shop (except engine). The mods done to the Dart for the most part could be changed back if a new owner wanted a more stock GTS look. any chance the original GTS motor is around? I think side by side all retrod out the GTX would be worth a bit more due to numbers matching engine and body style (thanks Fast & Furious) but people do get all excited when a real hemi is under the hood. in the picture I attached the front fenders look twisted....... maybe its just the picture.

The 440 in your car is worth more to your car then the value of a standard 68-70 440 since it's numbers matching. The Hemi in the Dart is worth about 25-30k plus depending on the parts that they used to build (new vs original) . Hemis are expensive to build and fix if needed remember that.

One thing you said is you really like your car and it sounds like you have put a lot of heart and soul into it. The dart is super cool and I don't doubt you will have a blast driving it and showing it off. But remember the shop will finish your 71 GTX and I am assuming it will be for sale at some point.

I am building a 68 Formula S 383 4-speed car that I am doing a slight resto rod with suspension upgrades and very original 69 charger 500 that will stay stock because of over all value. I have owned versions of both of the cars you are talking about so my likes are all over the board but I really love the A-bodys. I would love to own that 68 GTS or your 71 GTX for that mater but I would not trade the 71 gtx for the 68. How about take the GTX with you when you move and find a local shop to help you finish it. Hope you still have the 71 GTX rocker trim I saw in the fist pictures. Those are gold for 71 GTX people.

In the end if you go with the 68 Dart GTS ((((Awsume it's a cool car))))) if you keep the GTX I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Capture.PNG

my opinion? like said, the GTS part is mute.

forget about values. both cars are what they are and any sale (or trade),simply requires just one buyer agreeing with your price.

drop a 426 hemi in a slant car and it is what it is. if made into a 68 SS clone it is still a clone, but no doubt a wonderful car. you like pro toring deal, go for it.

Hmmm ... no fender tag , build sheet, GTS trim and badges, front marker lights, tweaked fender , Engine and trans ?
Where's the GTS ?

Could have started life as a '67 or '68 270 or GT 2 door hardtop slant 6 or 273 .
At this point without the fender tag and build sheet to say otherwise The GTS has been taken out of it and at this point is meaningless. BTW what is the V.I.N. # ?

As for value your '71 has more to a broader crowd . I say keep it.

The Dart is a nice hot rod BUT ...

BTW with that Hemi the Dart will need frame connecters and torque boxes to make use of the power.

Thanks for all the input. I am passing on the deal and going to keep the GTX. Too many unknowns that you all have pointed out on the Dart. I've spent 3 years putting the GTX together, so another year won't kill me. You guys are great community of people!

Craig

OMG...... Just saw the add on Ebay for this Hemi Dart GTS. Your shop started with a real H-code 383 car. I sure hope the car was bad to start with because it was a 1 of 1113 true 383 auto cars. Again beautiful car but dang what a waist.

Good plan keeping you 71 GTX.... that will be one sweet ride when it's done.

Just keep the GTX, that car isn't worth trading for. It's pretty much junk now.

OMG...... Just saw the add on Ebay for this Hemi Dart GTS. Your shop started with a real H-code 383 car. I sure hope the car was bad to start with because it was a 1 of 1113 true 383 auto cars. Again beautiful car but dang what a waist.

Good plan keeping you 71 GTX.... that will be one sweet ride when it's done.

Thanks - I debated real hard about taking the trade, but after all the input here I got talked down off the ledge :) The owner of the shop is real nice guy, and if I remember right, the original motor trans were gone when he got the car. They did ground up build on it going with a pro-tour style because he owned a dart in high school that he loved. The car is absolutely gorgeous in person and mean as hell on the street.

Craig

Thanks - I debated real hard about taking the trade, but after all the input here I got talked down off the ledge :) The owner of the shop is real nice guy, and if I remember right, the original motor trans were gone when he got the car. They did ground up build on it going with a pro-tour style because he owned a dart in high school that he loved. The car is absolutely gorgeous in person and mean as hell on the street.

Craig
The shop did a great job and for the price he is asking I am almost tempted to buy it my self. it could have been a slant 6 car and still been worth every penny he is asking. If I wasn't restoring my own Big block A-body I would be all over this one. Again looking forward to see your GTX done and in the next big mopar magazine. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Wow a cut up H code GTS a warranty block could have been found. A slant sux car should have been cut up to make that one not a real H code car.

You made the right choice on the GTX. All numbers matching VS a butchered bastard. Though very nice looking and probably running.

Plus i'm not diggin funky side exit exhausts in the rear fenders. Looks kinda DUB city if you ask me.

-
Back