'69 Fargo W100

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I picked up this truck a couple years ago for free, it had been sitting on a farm for about 20 years. When I found it, it was completely covered in blackberry bushes. I towed it home, where it has sat since. Initially I was going to use it for parts, but after looking it over I've decided to get it going because it's actually in not too bad of shape, and better yet, it's complete.

It's a 1969 Fargo W100 short box, 318, 4 speed, 8 3/4 rear with Dana 44 front, 4.10s. The interior is in surprisingly nice shape. Someone has painted it red with a white roof, however under the red paint is a light green with metallics. After walking by it time and time again, I decided to try to get it running and driving, and leave the body as is. Don't see too many of these around anymore.

When I found it..

After towing it to the steel yard I was working at..

It's behind the shop now. Yesterday I pulled the valve covers and 2 bbl intake. Everything looks pretty clean underneath. Instead of trying to salvage the rusty 2 bbl intake and valve covers, I installed a spare Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, and 340 air cleaner I had.

I eliminated the points and installed an electronic ignition. I seem to have weak to no spark so I'll look into that tomorrow, but the engine turns over just fine so I'm confident it'll run. Next is to figure out why the clutch is seized.

I love these trucks. I've never seen one that said Fargo on the hood. Keep us posted. How many miles on it? Why was it parked? The seat is very nice. Makes me think it may be low miles.

Moparker Fargo were canadian only trucks. Another cool find Mike I.want one. My Grampa had one when I was a young un. Dad used to call it the Fart n Go Lol

Lemme know if u need anything Mike a yard close to home has one sitting fairly complete

IMO that truck will outpull anything!!!!!!!

Maaaybe, I'd be delighted to hook on to it with my 76 Jeep Cherokee wagon. It would be interesting to say the least.

It is an awesome truck fer sure, I'd love to have one.

Here is an old pic of a family members truck to give you inspiration for your build!! Sweet trucks! Not bad hauling a Hemi Cuda behind it to go racing!

Attachments

• 1964%20W100%20Power%20Wagon.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 909
Maaaybe, I'd be delighted to hook on to it with my 76 Jeep Cherokee wagon. It would be interesting to say the least.

It is an awesome truck fer sure, I'd love to have one.

Nice find and that engine is really clean. Hook it up to a '76 Cherokee? Here's some food for thought. Many, many moons ago I was a lineman for Ma Bell. We had a '72 Dodge 3/4 ton companion wagon (Dodge chassis W/A utility bed) that was a 2 wheel drive, 318, granny 4 speed, Dana 60 with 4.10s and a locker. In first gear it would drag an F600 digger truck (boom with an auger) anywhere we wanted to go with it, whether the brakes were locked or not...

Nice find and that engine is really clean. Hook it up to a '76 Cherokee? Here's some food for thought. Many, many moons ago I was a lineman for Ma Bell. We had a '72 Dodge 3/4 ton companion wagon (Dodge chassis W/A utility bed) that was a 2 wheel drive, 318, granny 4 speed, Dana 60 with 4.10s and a locker. In first gear it would drag an F600 digger truck (boom with an auger) anywhere we wanted to go with it, whether the brakes were locked or not...

Like I said, it would be interesting. I have pulled some things I never thought I would move.

Years ago we used to hook to each other rear to rear and have pulling contests, I had a blast doing it.

The last thing I pulled with it was an 18" in diameter dead elm trunk. If you know anything about dead elm, it's as solid as a rock. I snapped that elm at the base like a toothpick, and never put any effort into it. Had my chain about 6 feet up the trunk.

But you're correct, those Power Wagons in granny gear are pulling machines.

If it is turning, the old gal will run how good?
Make damn sure all the valves are free.
Use a piece of brass or solid locust draft and hit the top of each valve with a 3 lb hammer.
As for the clutch, the best thing is make sure the brakes are free, push it with a old pos truck from behind with a old tire with no rim strapped to the front bumper of the pos truck.

Get it rolling about 15 mph and put the old dodge in 2nd gear, your clutch disk is most likely rusted to the flywheel/pressure plate.

Thanks for the comments, I'm excited to get it going.

Moparker, Fargo is a Canadian brand. I actually don't know the mileage, I haven't thought to look. I'm not sure why it was parked either, but I know the old woman's nephew had started a resto of some kind on it.

Steve - I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

Dragondan, that's a cool truck! Here's my '65 Fargo W300.

Sireland, thanks for the tips, I'll give those a try.

I swapped out the ignition module for a known working orange box I had, swapped out the ballast resistor, and installed a new ignition switch. Now the key actually engages the starter instead of having to bypass it with the screwdriver. However, it sounds like the starter is struggling to turn the motor, so tomorrow I'll swap it with a known good starter, and try cleaner battery cables.

I like it!!! I have a 64 D100 I'm restoring. My next target is a W100 318 4-speed. My clutch was stuck after setting for just 9 months. Took off flywheel cover and a few taps and it broke loose. Also weak spark, sounds like ground issue. I see an old mechanical voltage regulator that sometimes doesn't play well with electronic ignition. Ohm the and clean the ground cable and make sure you have a strap body to frame. I spy a passenger 3-hole mirror post! Really cool truck

70dartmike! that's a true stump puller! Maybe we need to look for that dang shuttle the tundra pulled and show them what real torque is about!

The starter sounded pretty bad so I swapped it out with a brand new one that I had for the 360 in my Cuda, that was known to work good, so I swapped them out and now I'm just getting a grinding sound, sounds like the starter teeth aren't sitting well in the flywheel teeth. I also changed out the negative battery cable, it was getting quite hot. The frame is grounded to body. I'll go try a few other things in a bit.

Keep at it you will get it.
I once had a slow/no start starter issue in a 80 dodge truck, ended up being the ground cable.
Not the one that goes to the block from the battery but the little 10 gauge wire that splits at the battery cable for a sheet metal ground on the firewall.

I changed out the voltage regulator for a known working one I had. The one on the truck had very rusty terminals which were beyond cleaning up.

As for grounds, I have battery to engine, rear of engine to firewall, frame to body, and battery to rad support. I cleaned every terminal and sanded the contact points down to bare metal.

The starter, like I said, is brand new and known to work, as I was running it on my Cuda before I tore it down. Now, the starter is making a loud, almost grinding sound, however I know it's turning the engine because I can see the fan spinning. Yet, it just doesn't sound like it wants to fire. It's still too sluggish to even try.

It's pissing rain today, so I set up a tarp overhead, but getting dripped on is no fun. I go to work tomorrow for a couple weeks, so it doesn't look like I'm going to get this running, bit I'll give it a try later.

if the clutch is still frozen, then you are trying to spin the trans with the motor at the same time. might not work so well. if you have it in neutral can you push the truck ahead & back ok? also if 4wd make sure the fronts are unlocked etc

maybe that's why the last guy gave up on it

can you turn the engine by hand with a ratchet & socket on the balancer bolt?

I changed out the voltage regulator for a known working one I had. The one on the truck had very rusty terminals which were beyond cleaning up.

As for grounds, I have battery to engine, rear of engine to firewall, frame to body, and battery to rad support. I cleaned every terminal and sanded the contact points down to bare metal.

The starter, like I said, is brand new and known to work, as I was running it on my Cuda before I tore it down. Now, the starter is making a loud, almost grinding sound, however I know it's turning the engine because I can see the fan spinning. Yet, it just doesn't sound like it wants to fire. It's still too sluggish to even try.

It's pissing rain today, so I set up a tarp overhead, but getting dripped on is no fun. I go to work tomorrow for a couple weeks, so it doesn't look like I'm going to get this running, bit I'll give it a

Pull the spark plugs out squirt some 30 wt oil in each cylinder.
Leave the plugs out and see how it cranks.
Maybe even pull the rocker arms and push rods to eliminate the valves.
Make damn sure the battery has full charge.

Awesome truck, Mike.
Those things seem to live forever, i wouldn't doubt if it starts right up and runs good right away.
The clutch might be a PITA to un-stick.
I wouldn't doubt if it might be worth it to pull it apart and have a look anyway.......

-
Back