69 fb back seat reupholster

-

jazak5

Reaction score
ok heeeerrrr we go.!!!
looking for help on what type of rear seat foam and how thick it should be. tore down the original but it's 50 years ago

my order should be coming soon//skins

If the old is decent that's fine . I would recommend putting new burlap over the springs before doing the foam
The old isn't bad but old. I have a new installation kit that includes burlap. Hate to be cheap but 250 for seat bums is a lot. My friend is doing a Mustang and his were 35 a piece for front seat bums. I may try adding an inch and if it doesn't work I can always change it

sorry/thanks yeah the rear seat back and bum// already got new burlap an muslin from the hobby store

In my experience, the original burlap had wires in the weave. Seat construction was 'S' springs in one direction and these wires crossing in the other direction. I think the wires helped spread the load more evenly across multiple springs and/or prevent the filler from sinking through the springs.
I did consider off the shelf burlap but found it had an odor. Soooo I ordered the correct material from Legendary. mo money
I honestly don't know how to go about reproducing bench seat filler without the OEM as a guide. Trial and error I guess. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise !!!!! I'll pay a lot of attention to the hidden wire if it has it,, seat frames are ok but 50yr old everything else,,
I do understand the issue of the seat springs parting and the foam working through the springs, worst case is to use aircraft wire lock and some more hog rings:thumbsup:

1" over your old foam (if it is decent) is too much.

If you pull the covers tight over that much, the sewn seams will start to rip apart.

I use 1/4".

Last edited:
going with new foam //mickey and family made mine into condo's
DSC00001.JPG

would rather smell burlap/new chemicals than mouse

Last edited:
-
Back