69 formula S grille

-

agarcia5

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the correct color for the 69 formula s grille? From what I know is that the grille itself is black (like a satin/flat black) and the plastic moulding that goes around the grille is silver/gray. Is that correct or does the grille go gray and the moulding black?? I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Arturo

grille only I think same colr as trunk trim panel will go check my car and let you know for sure hope this helps :toothy8: have a good one jamie

This is a NOS set, if you don't see what your looking for ask more questions. The thin trim around the egg crate is polished aluminum/clear anodized. The front edges of the egg crates are NOT painted black, they were sprayed from the back side, therefore the front edges didn't get paint on them.

Attachments

• '69 M-code 'cuda grills 003 @50%.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 374
  • '69 M-code 'cuda grills 004 @50%.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 304
  • '69 M-code 'cuda grills 005 @50%.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 280
thanks because i thought the grille was black and the part that surrounds it (black in the picture) was silver. that's how i have mine

The NOS ones pictured are correct.

so then the grille and the plastic molding that goes around is colored black like the one from the picture right?

You have a '69 cuda formula s right? Is the grille the same as the NOS ones?

Also what is the correct color to use to paint the grilles?

Thanks for all your help

Arturo

On this 340 i used(rattle can) satin black. If you look at the NOS set, even from the factory the right side is slightly glossier than the left!! This NOS set i would say is the black plastic, not painted. I was told by the guy that restored a set for me that the black sets came 3 ways from the factory, 1) black plastic, 2) black plastic painted black, for better matching, 3) light colored plastic painted black. Of coarse at the factory all the pieces would be separate and easy to paint.

Attachments

• '69 340 'cuda FB, '70 6pak BEE 011 @50%.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 271
  • '69 340 'cuda FB, '70 6pak BEE 012 @50%.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 270
On this 340 i used(rattle can) satin black. If you look at the NOS set, even from the factory the right side is slightly glossier than the left!! This NOS set i would say is the black plastic, not painted. I was told by the guy that restored a set for me that the black sets came 3 ways from the factory, 1) black plastic, 2) black plastic painted black, for better matching, 3) light colored plastic painted black. Of coarse at the factory all the pieces would be separate and easy to paint.

Nice car! But those grilles were they only made for the 'cuda model, or for the formula s as well? My car is a '69 formula s it's the one in my avatar
Thanks, Art

Art, formula S and 'cuda use the same blacked out grills............The black plastic surrounds are reproduced now but i've never seen them in person and i don't know how good they are. The only place i've seen them is on Ebay, not sure who makes them.

What he said, Cuda and Formula S both have the blacked out grilles. Semi gloss or satin black.

-
Back