69 Notchback Mod Top $5000 Illinois. Marketplace NOT MINE

-
Almost purchased a 340-S notch back in Langley, BC in 1990. Car was all original, number matching, original owner. He custom ordered the car, trading in a 67 Barracuda 273-2bbl. Car was plain Jane, with blue interior. Had silver plain tail panel, silver grille. It was coded E55 D21.. Fender tag did not have A53 code. Car had no stripe, just the 340-S fender callouts. I asked him about the lack of Formula S emblems, and his response was he didn't order the "package", and had just sat with salesman and specd out what he wanted.

Drove great, but after seeing the red 69 cuda 340 in his garage, not for sale, I decided to look for a 'cuda.

It mentions that in the Hamsammich website.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NO mention anywhere of this unicorn 340-S pkg....
The "hood top ornaments" on my '68 say 340-S. They're getting unicorn-ish. The ones for 383s are for sure.
I'm pretty sure that 340-S and 383-S just indicates which engine is included in a particular car's Formula S package.
IMG_20230716_155130908.jpg

Out of the 69 Galen Book. Also the 'Cuda 340 and 383 package.

20230716_151422.jpg

20230716_151443.jpg

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The "hood top ornaments" on my '68 say 340-S. They're getting unicorn-ish. The ones for 383s are for sure.
I'm pretty sure that 340-S and 383-S just indicates which engine is included in a particular car's Formula S package.
View attachment 1716115390
Yep, ANY (P or H code) 68 barracuda is a Formula S. You couldnt get a 340 or 383 without it being an S(unlike 69)
Out of the 69 Galen Book. Also the Cuda' 340 and 383 package.

View attachment 1716115410

View attachment 1716115411
Yep, does GG mention a 340-S pkg?

Yep, ANY (P or H code) 68 barracuda is a Formula S. You couldnt get a 340 or 383 without it being an S(unlike 69)

Yep, does GG mention a 340-S pkg?
A53 is a Formula S package and you could get it with a 340 or 383, 4 speed or auto, according to the production numbers.

Is the mod top and seat material reproduced these days? Or do you have to find the closest shower curtain material at bed bath and beyond?
Funny and ironic, just found this.
The supplier chosen for this particular yellow Mod Top flower madness was the Stauffer Plastics Division, which was in the business of making shower curtains and tablecloths

In 1968, all 340 and 383 versions were Formula S.
68 yes, I see. In 69 you could get a non S Barracuda with a 340. I don't see the 383 as an option though. See the photo below.

Last edited:
Car had no stripe, just the 340-S fender callouts. I asked him about the lack of Formula S emblems, and his response was he didn't order the "package", and had just sat with salesman and specd out what he wanted.
Strange, so in 69 you could get a 340-S car and it was not a FS car? makes you wonder what the S stood for?

OH boy, here`s a good one...

Some guys have too much $$$$
https://www.mecum.com/lots/371526/1969-plymouth-barracuda-mod-top/

Sold for, get this...$ 444,000 :eek:

So in conclusion the car HemiSSDart posted must be a 340-S stripe delete mod top car, and call out delete.
Learn something new every day. Still wouldn`t give 75k for it even if I had 75k to blow on a car, it would be for something else.

retraction, the badge on the back of that Big$$$$$ car still says formula S , so we`ll still have to wait for HemiSSDart to fill us in...

Last edited:
In the brochure it is mainly all the good suspension stuff (Think the 's' referred to that), but I belive always had a console and buckets. Sort of a GTX version, show and go. 'cuda were more stripper (include. bench seats, column) versions stock, but could be optioned up. All 440' cuda were buckets/ console.

makes you wonder what the S stood for?

Reached out to acquaintance with 69 340-S. Verifies no A53 on fendertag.
I would say the proof would have to be very convincing to say a non A53 fender tagged car is a Formula-S. Mamopar has made mistakes and theoretically could miss the A53 on the fender tag.

The dealer could have installed the Formula-S stuff to make a "clone" from day one, I guess.

Mine is an original 318 car with 340 stripes, 340-s fender callouts, and formula S tail panel. A lot can happen to a car in 50 years…..

My current project is a 71 Barracuda, a BHG car. Although I am decking it out with Cuda trim, it will always be a base Barracuda. I sometimes hear it crying in the shop...I wish I was born a Cuda, is what it whimpers!

IMG_4664.JPG

Last edited:
So your 383 cuda is a formula s(obviously) but came originally with 383-s ? No fish? A53?
Love the 71 too!
I would say the proof would have to be very convincing to say a non A53 fender tagged car is a Formula-S. Mamopar has made mistakes and theoretically could miss the A53 on the fender tag.

The dealer could have installed the Formula-S stuff to make a "clone" from day one, I guess.

So your 383 cuda is a formula s(obviously) but came originally with 383-s ? No fish? A53?
Love the 71 too!
LOL, it came with a 383. Badging on the fender says 383-S, which means it is a Formula S with a 383 engine.

One of the oddities of my 69 was that it did not come with torque boxes, front or rear.

-
Back