'69 Swinger-340; 4 speed

-

eccentricMagpies

Reaction score
Picked this up about a month ago ...
Just got done with my 'second' job so I can start moving a little on this thing. First plan will be to pull the drivetrain next and then start removing the floor pan.

Gutted the interior. Floors are rough enough along with the footwells.
I decided that I will take the route of getting new AMD:
floor pan
trunk pan
Both rockers

LHfront.jpg

rockers002.jpg

rockers001.jpg

RHfront2.jpg

012-1.jpg

RHrear.jpg

LHrear.jpg

I picked up a nice set of used footwells so that part is done.

I have some nice original floor pans and some rockers for you if you need them PM me

Nice to see I'm not the only one thats willing to take on a challenge...:thumrigh:, Cool car, well it will be again someday. In case your interested, I have several pics posted on my build page that might help. I used all AMD parts on my Duster and was extremely happy with the quality and fitment off there parts..I also had to replace full floor pan, full rockers, full trunk, inner fenders, taillight panel and all the little brackets that go along with everything. good luck with the build, always nice to see others starting with something other than "rust free" cars.

In case your interested, I have several pics posted on my build page that might help. I used all AMD parts on my Duster and was extremely happy with the quality and fitment off there parts..I also had to replace full floor pan, full rockers, full trunk, inner fenders, taillight panel and all the little brackets that go along with everything. good luck with the build, always nice to see others starting with something other than "rust free" cars.

Thanks for the link 76OrangeWagon, I'll be sure to use it !!! Nice build/work you have going on there too...

well.. got the motor/trans pulled.

I'm a bit confused with the setup that was in place. The heads showed an 'X' so I was assuming 340 with x-heads.

But reading the vin on the block I read LH23D...... from there, didn't care.

I'm wondering about the heads, is this just a 273 with with 273 heads?
thanks.

014640x480.jpg

nah, on the driver side of the block will say engine size. post pics, and we will tell you

I (think) the "D" would denote 273 2 barrel in 69, what are the first 5 of the cars dash vin? Motor could have been changed numerous times in all these years......

nah, on the driver side of the block will say engine size. post pics, and we will tell you

hmm... you are right... 273 printed on that side... would have saved me about a half hour making out that stamped vin number... thanks..

block002640x480.jpg

I (think) the "D" would denote 273 2 barrel in 69, what are the first 5 of the cars dash vin? Motor could have been changed numerous times in all these years......

Right, that is how I came to realize the motor size. The car is a LM (swinger 340)

There is a bit of a story that even I'm starting to slowly piece together with this thing. The guy told me that the 'number matching' motor was being rebuilt when he picked this car up. He told me that it had a replacement 340 in it and that he could get the original.
So, I called the guy that had the 'number matching' motor and he tells me that it wasn't numbers matching, rather year correct.
So, figured the guy I bought it from got that part mixed up.

But, back to the heads, it might make sense that the guy that pulled the motor to rework the year correct 340 simply placed the Edebrock 4 barrel intake and x-heads from that 340 for the time being.... It's what I'm assuming unless these heads are simply some type of 273 verson ???

block005640x480.jpg

That makes sense, they would have had to notch the cyl bores to fit the 2:02 X heads on that 273 though.. and they instaled a later performer 318/360 intake on it, so theres no telling what they put together there, pull a valve cover, the casting number will confirm for sure what you have

Here is what I can make out...

in raised lettering... 2B43675
on a plate .... 0612

Course the 'X' I mentioned...

and under the two numbers which is written on the paper in the picture below... I noticed an inch long piece of metal laying in the right side head. Partial piston ring?? hmmm actually it probably wouldnt' be that straight....

head001640x480.jpg

pretty sure a "675" head is a 318 head, show a pic of the exhaust ports and the "x" between the spark plugs...........

ah.. that is probably where i'm messing up.. the 'X' was under the valve cover... not between the sparkplugs...
i can take a photo if you think.

I'd assume it's simply 318 heads if those numbers point in that direction

well.. i got a ton of body work so I'll just keep my eyes open for a 340 when one comes along.

Thanks a lot!!

removed both fenders/doors and bumper.

little trouble with the wire harness... should I be removing this completely from within the inside or shouldn't it simply free from here?? (see first photo)
Seems several wires just don't come along with the fastener...

Also, seems I'll have to add "under rear seat floor pans" to my list of parts needed. #-o
With that... I'm really considering mini tubbing this thing since i have a set or 15x10 rims laying around anyhow, and the whole thing will be apart anyhow. (course i'll have to do some reading on that, such as, where do I take the rearend to have resized, relocating springs and I'm assuming hood hinges)

023-1.jpg

026.jpg

Ordered some spot weld bits to help with all of the removals of floors.

So made some progross tonight and finished up the removal of the windshield, dash, steering column.

2ndShot006.jpg

at least the inside of the firewall doesn't have holes in it. Sand off the surface rust and seal that up once I get the new floors in place.

003.jpg

Cool car, wish mine was a factory 4 gear, but rust basically made a shifter hole for me so... Good luck and I'm glad I am not the only one restoring a rust belt car!

Cool car, wish mine was a factory 4 gear, but rust basically made a shifter hole for me so... Good luck and I'm glad I am not the only one restoring a rust belt car!

Well, i hope it will get there. Might be some slow going... but at least it is tore down where I can start ripping the floors out. After smackin my thumb the third time with a hammer and chisel ... figured the heck with that. (i'll wait for the proper tools to come in)

windshield wasn't rusty but of course it was cracked... add it to the list.

I'll be watching your build as well... should be cool with the colors you have on yours, and you mentioned you were converting to 4spd

Nice project. I was one of the fortunate ones without all the rust as I live here in Arizona. I too am restoring a '69. I am converting it into a '68 SS clone. I started off doing the same thing. Gutting it, building a jig for the shell, minor rust repair :), etc... I look forward to following your build!

Attachments

• May 7th 2011 undercarriage and undercoating 004.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 579
  • May 7th 2011 undercarriage and undercoating 007.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 586
  • dart and ebay 001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 593
Nice project. I was one of the fortunate ones without all the rust as I live here in Arizona. I too am restoring a '69. I am converting it into a '68 SS clone. I started off doing the same thing. Gutting it, building a jig for the shell, minor rust repair :), etc... I look forward to following your build!

Cool car 132068Dodge!! Love the cutouts you done on your quarters too. Your car has come a long ways and mine is far from that but coming along.

What part of AZ are you located? I lived there for ~2 years, in Mesa, great area all around there. '98-00

I subscribed to your build and will reference it.

Funny seeing that interior (the way the seats were showing thier innards)...reminded me of a story my brother-in-told me about his brother putting his car away for the winter.

He had just redone the interior. Next spring he come to find out that he accidently locked thier 'missing' cat inside. Not a pretty site I'm told. oooppss
:violent2:

I live in Phoenix on the border of Glendale. The weather is great right now. Sunny and in the 70's for our highs. I will be avidly following your build and if you have any questions or if I can be of any help, I'll be happy to do so.

Any new updates with the body work ?

:)

mostly in my head.

I caught a cold that has hung on for about 3 weeks and I think it might have been from just being careless using a grinder w/o much protection. I'm sure it didn't help.

I have the frame rail connectors, will weld in and I guess I'll start pulling the quarters, trunk area, and wheel housings out.

On a good note, i recieved all of my metal I ordered so that will push me to get going too.

thanks for asking.. i'll post some photo's when I have some to share.

-
Back