'69 swinger 340 and GTS stripes

-

GSS340

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me for certain if the stripes on 69 dart swinger 340's and GTS's were painted on or tape stripes? I have a few local original cars to look at but all are stripe deletes so thats no help to me.

I have seen quite a few original paint cars online who's stripes look painted on...trunk sections are worn off as well as the upper section of the side stripes. ALSO though I have seen some that the stripes are all there but are cracked and look like old tape. Anyone know?

I bought a 69 340 swinger when it was 6 months old and 13,000 miles. They were tape. 100% positive.

Thanks...this is what I had always believed but how some of them are worn off made me wonder. I guess the tape just degraded and turned chalky and wore off. Thanks again. Len

GSS340 said:
Can anyone tell me for certain if the stripes on 69 dart swinger 340's and GTS's were painted on or tape stripes? I have a few local original cars to look at but all are stripe deletes so thats no help to me.

I have seen quite a few original paint cars online who's stripes look painted on...trunk sections are worn off as well as the upper section of the side stripes. ALSO though I have seen some that the stripes are all there but are cracked and look like old tape. Anyone know?

I have a 69 GTS 440

Stripes are tape

I am new to the board. My car (68 GTS) had just been painted and the PO said that originally, these stripes were all painted on.

Mine is freshly painted on, with overspray on the underbody/leafs to show for it.

HMMmmmm

The stripes are definately a decal. I removed the original stripe from car when I redid it (my car was originally a copper color with a white top, stripe and interior). I ordered the black stripe from Year One and installed it in the driveway, not hard to do just use a lot of dish soap to allow the decal to move.

Well, doesn't that make my stripe *extra* special or something? LOL

The PO wanted me to keep him in the loop as I finished the Dart. (I suppose that's a good sign when you buy a car, that the PO is still in love with it) I guess my e-mail list of accomplishments should include "Hey goofball, remember when you told me...." is growing.

This is the car that had the brown windshield washer wire attached the the bottom of the voltage regulator when I bought it....It took a week of postings to figure that out.

Thanks to you guys, I'm getting there.

Cheers,

Pete

Well, doesn't that make my stripe *extra* special or something? LOL

Hey Pete -
Yeah, 'extra' cost for the PO. LOL.

Actually, I believe a paint stripe is preferred unless you're going for a 'from the factory' look. My '69 is going to get a painted custom stripe when it finally comes time for paint. White stripe on Viper Red body.

68 & 69 stripes were just tape

If restoring to original buy tape, if you want painted get a stencil kit and paint color of choice

4bbdstripe.JPG

I perfered Paint with clear over it

abody.jpg

all my trim that would have been blacked out was painted the same color blue as the stripe. With the stripe under the clear the a**holes that come up and feel, knows it is under the clear. Before it left the body shop some guy came and and rubbed the stripe.

4bbdstripe.JPG

abody.jpg

-
Back