69 Valiant - Rookie

-
Got the engine bay stripped and primered. That's not rust on the firewall, by the way. Car was originally bronze, so that's the original paint before I got it with the wirebrush.

Used aircraft stripper for most of this, though. So glad I did, as it made things much easier.

Took a pic last night, but the lighting was bad. So, took another pic this morning. Very pleased with the result. Still need to patch up a bit before I can paint.

Attachments

• 2.2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 2.1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 202
Some paint! This is one of the happiest moments since I bought this car. Got the engine bay painted/cleared. The first pic is before the clearcoat, just couldn't wait to take some pics.

Attachments

• paint3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 190
  • paint2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 194
  • paint1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 200
  • afterclear.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 192
  • beforeclear.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 202
Looks good but just wondering why you didn't remove more items off the firewall etc before going to all that work and painting FYI that color is a bear to spray

Attachments

• DSCF0265.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 201
Thanks guys. @dodge71demon I didn't even know I was going to get this far! This was intended to be just learning as I go, and a daily driver. Never thought I'd get to the point of detailing the engine bay like this. LOL

It was really difficult to spray, but I think that's mostly because of the cramped confines of being in the engine bay, and the fact that I'm a newbie at this. I had a couple small runs. Only one of these would be noticeable, though. Can't sand it down to respray without spraying the whole thing, so just going to mark it down as adding character. LOL

I'm really happy with the results, though. Can't wait to do the rest of the car. Still got another month or so of bodywork & blocking before I'm ready for that.

Thanks guys. @dodge71demon I didn't even know I was going to get this far! This was intended to be just learning as I go, and a daily driver. Never thought I'd get to the point of detailing the engine bay like this. LOL

It was really difficult to spray, but I think that's mostly because of the cramped confines of being in the engine bay, and the fact that I'm a newbie at this. I had a couple small runs. Only one of these would be noticeable, though. Can't sand it down to respray without spraying the whole thing, so just going to mark it down as adding character. LOL

I'm really happy with the results, though. Can't wait to do the rest of the car. Still got another month or so of bodywork & blocking before I'm ready for that.

That's how you learn the next car you'll have a better idea and more experience been there done that so try to just look ahead a little before you get excited to do something

Most of the engine by is rewired. Need to change the oil pan gasket, do a little work on the suspension, then the motor can go back in.

Attachments

• 10170720_10152082948510945_5526259809451206376_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 166
Any suggestions for interior paint color? Was considering painting it the same as the exterior or painting it black.

Eventually I want black bucket seats, so not sure I want black on black. Maybe grey interior paint? Some other color?

So, some progress. I replaced the pitman and idler arms while I was down there. Got the engine back in, and everything running. Next I stripped the passenger side fender, shaved the sidemarkers and radio antenna hole and did a little rust repair.

The lower rear part of the fender, where it attaches to the frame in front of the rocker... it was rusted out pretty bad. What metal was left, was brittle too. So, I made my own piece to go there. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, for my first time doing this sort of thing.

I put the fender on the car just for a test fit, and it fits like a glove.

Looks great, Ive been watching this build for awhile I really like the do it yourself builds....keep it up

Thanks much. I finally finished bodywork on one fender today. Need to sand off a few scratches, but otherwise I'm satisfied. Still another fender to go.

Attachments

• 10155013_10152117267105945_1733759727941609672_n.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 89
-
Back