69 weird brakes

-

69conv

error 401
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I hopped in my Dart to give it a winter warm up and a really strange thing happened. First of all the motor was running at a much higher rpm than normal, by about 400 rpm. Wouldn't drop down even when it came up to temp. Then whenever I stepped on the brakes, the RPM went up about another 200 RPM. So I'm thinkin vacuum leak, probably on the brake booster. I've never had this happen before. So I went to Rock Auto to see about a replacement part and although they list it, its out of stock and I know what that usually means. So anybody know if they can be rebuilt or if theres an alternative source for another booster? I guess 50 years isn't a bad lifespan for the first one! Thanks in advance.

Did you at least disconnect (and plug the line) it to verify that it's bad??

Treblig

Get a Mityvac and see if the booster holds a vacuum.

If it doesn't, take it apart and inspect the two rubber diaphragms.

If it's a correct '69 booster, you can unbolt the clamp and open it up.

I'm sure you can get a replacement diaphragm if you have a torn one.

I installed a charcoal filter in the vacuum line from the intake to the booster to prevent gas fumes from deteriorating the rubber diaphragms.

Dorman part number 80195.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
"Motor city?" Even here in the podunk N end of Idaho, not far from Spokamentro WA, there is (or was) a local outfit who rebuilds all kinds of brake boosters

"Pacific Clutch and Brake." Do some searching your town. It will be an old, long time, "non big box" place run by older folks, likely in the older, industrial business area of town

You can do it yourself. It's not hard to do. The booster just twists apart. That's the hardest part. You can make a tool to do it.

Before that, I would make sure it's not the booster check valve, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great replys, guys. Now have a plan of attack.

TREBLIG made me do it!!! Went outside in 24 degree temps, plugged the line and the RPMs came down. Rusty diagnosed it from Georgia, bad check valve. Where would I be without you? $1500 bill at pep boys? FABO rocks and special thanks to you guys!!

-
Back