69 years ago today...

-

Alvin

Reaction score
D-Day. My uncle George was a medic and wounded (survived) on omaha beach.
THANK YOU TO ALL VETS PAST AND PRESENT FOR KEEPING US SAFE AND FREE!

A.

I've been to Arromanges in France which is the nearest town. After looking at Omaha, June and Gold Beach I was touched that anybody survived! The step hills they were working their way up on was tuff and during that day the Allied forces dropped 1200 tons of bombs during the first 24 hours.

The cementary was touching too as there were many Americans and European families there to honor their loved ones.

D-Day should never be forgotten, so many brave young soldiers died that day, many went on to fight through and live long lives....all hero's and I salute you :salut:

They really SAVED our way of life... The REAL veterans!
The 36th Infantry Association still has a few WW2 Vets left...
GOD BLESS THEM ALL!

I've been to Arromanges in France which is the nearest town. After looking at Omaha, June and Gold Beach I was touched that anybody survived! The step hills they were working their way up on was tuff and during that day the Allied forces dropped 1200 tons of bombs during the first 24 hours.

The cementary was touching too as there were many Americans and European families there to honor their loved ones.
that's Juno, that's where our guys landed.

Great reminder post.
D-Day and Pearl Harbor should never be forgotten. I didn't have any family members directly involved with D-Day but one of my uncles (now passed) was on the U.S.S. West Virginia directly behind and outboard of the Arizona during the Pearl Harbor attack.
They truly were the greatest generation.
Thank you to all veterans and currently serving military for your service in keeping the American freedoms alive.

I am a huge World War 2 collector ..here is a pic of me with my1943 willys MB the helmet i am wearing was on the beach during D-Day it was worn by my grandpa who landed on omaha beach..and a photo of mt Grandpa taken in Huy Belgium in 1944

Attachments

• P1010010.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Ernest-A.-Rousselot-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 92
I am a huge World War 2 collector ..here is a pic of me with my1943 willys MB the helmet i am wearing was on the beach during D-Day it was worn by my grandpa who landed on omaha beach..and a photo of mt Grandpa taken in Huy Belgium in 1944

Very cool picture of your grandpa, i can tell in your pic how proud you are to wear his hemet! I also see where you get your Avatar pic from now, matches the patch on his uniform....always wondered about that. What is the name of his regiment (is that what you call that?) My grandpa was in WWII but went to Germany near the end of the war, and was there when it ended, he was part of the "Fighting 1st" also helped clean up some of the mess there and was put to work re-building bridges for a awhile. He never talked much about it, and never considered himself a hero....it was just a job he had to do. He did tell us how he was seasick on the ship ride there and back lol!!

Makes me sad too when I turned on TV today, hardly a mention of D-Day anywhere, no mention or shows on Nat Geo, Discovery, or the History channel, all that's on are lame *** shows like Mythbusters or Pawn Stars.....:banghead:

Only channel hat had anything was TCM, and they were old war movies with John Wayne, not even close to what happened....I think it should be shown all day long on the channels I mentioned above.....most people don't even know what D-Day means anymore.....sad.

Ok, rant over lol

the patch is for the Tank Destroyer Forces Grandpa was in the 635th Tank Destroyers in world war 2 they where the first tank destroyer unit to land on omaha beach and where in battle of the buldge and the first T/D unit to cross the Rhine in 1945..Like I said i am a huge collector the first pic is of a display that i do for retirement and old folks home free of charge for all the vets ..then a pic of me in the same jacket my grandpa had on in Belgium ..and my old 1944 Cadillac (yes cadillac made tanks) that I sold a few years ago

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF4114.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 013.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 74
the patch is for the Tank Destroyer Forces Grandpa was in the 635th Tank Destroyers in world war 2 they where the first tank destroyer unit to land on omaha beach and where in battle of the buldge and the first T/D unit to cross the Rhine in 1945..Like I said i am a huge collector the first pic is of a display that i do for retirement and old folks home free of charge for all the vets ..then a pic of me in the same jacket my grandpa had on in Belgium ..and my old 1944 Cadillac (yes cadillac made tanks) that I sold a few years ago

You My friend are full of GREAT HISTORY!!!!!

DartDude you are doing a great thing by keeping the memories alive. My Grandfathers my real one passed before I was born was a Marine as well was his brothers, my grandfather that I grew up with was in the Army 94th Division.

how funny this thread comes up with timing ...i was just looking up info on WWII after scoring some WWII model planes at a rummage sale :glasses7:

Attachments

• CIMG2693.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 106
  • CIMG2691.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 74
  • CIMG2690.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
the only one that i see thats not World War 2 is the one in the front row on the far left..its a Douglas A1-E Skyraider used in Korea and Veitnam

DartDude you are doing a great thing by keeping the memories alive. My Grandfathers my real one passed before I was born was a Marine as well was his brothers, my grandfather that I grew up with was in the Army 94th Division.
The 94th was a pretty cool unit they saw action in ,Luxemburg, Eastern France and Germany

Attachments

• 94th_g_b.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 99
awesome! I thought I was a WWII guy, Its important to keep this history alive so young people know what our predecessors went thru to keep them free.

The 94th was a pretty cool unit they saw action in ,Luxemburg, Eastern France and Germany

I knew it was bad,my grandfather would not talk about it. It sure didn't help when a storm rolled through.It always took my grandmother a long while to get him calmed down and out of flashbacks. They didn't call it PTSD back then and didn't recognize as a medical condition.

Makes me sad too when I turned on TV today, hardly a mention of D-Day anywhere, no mention or shows on Nat Geo, Discovery, or the History channel, all that's on are lame *** shows like Mythbusters or Pawn Stars.....:banghead:

Only channel hat had anything was TCM, and they were old war movies with John Wayne, not even close to what happened....I think it should be shown all day long on the channels I mentioned above.....most people don't even know what D-Day means anymore.....sad.

Ok, rant over lol

That's why I started this thread. Not a mention on the news this a.m.
They should be ashamed.

A.

-
Back