70’ Duster 340 4 speed value

-

David J Brennan

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the Abodies. Mainly deal in Bbodies. Looking to purchase a 1970 duster. Found a very nice , I’d consider it a strong #2 car if not better. It’s #s matching 340 / 4 speed. Motor has cam headers exhaust intake ect. Interior is all new. Restoration is very nice. B7 blue , black stripes. Car is turn key ready to go. Wondering what the value really is? 70-72 Dusters seem to be all over the place in the market. Any info would be great. Thanks!

ill give you $500.00 sight unseen

now, if you post some pictures, that might go up

ill give you $500.00 sight unseen

now, if you post some pictures, that might go up
Too bad he's buying and not selling.:poke::poke: $15,000 to start. Might go up to mid to late $20's.

Too bad he's buying and not selling.:poke::poke: $15,000 to start. Might go up to mid to late $20's.

good thing i was trying to make a point, rather then an offer
without seeing it, who knows?
it might be worth 20K, it might be worth 20 cents per pound

Got $22,500 for my 70' this past summer with the same drive train and condition as you described

DSCN1811.JPG

If it has cam and headers, it's NOT a #2 car. You need to relearn the classic car value system. It sounds nice, but as mentioned, without pictures, it's a crap shoot.

Got $22,500 for my 70' this past summer with the same drive train and condition as you described

Beautiful car! Thanks for the info

View attachment 1715150093
If it has cam and headers, it's NOT a #2 car. You need to relearn the classic car value system. It sounds nice, but as mentioned, without pictures, it's a crap shoot.

Cam and headers doesn’t change the grading system. IF everthing else is a 8-9 /10 it’s still a #2 car LOL but thanks for the input

It's all in the details.

What is the rust history of the car?

What do each quarter panel look like from inside the trunk to help varify original? That gas cap looks a little funky. But could be wrong cap or just lighting.

Pictures of the bottom of quarter panels from under the car looking outward. Pics of under the car. Pics of trunk floor with spare tire and mat out?

Had the dash, cluster, etc been restored? Radio cut?

Grille detail pic?

These basics are the same for a b-body.

Does the fender tag match radiator support numbers? Buildsheet? Have you seen pics of engine and trans stampings?

Is it small bolt pattern with KH disks brakes in front. All 70 340 Duster are std front disk originally.

Looks like it could be in the $17K-24K range.

I will did this. Since you say know your of B Bodies, I look at the price structure in general like this. You know what a restored 69 roadrunner 383 4 speed car brings, then adjust down from there.

I agree with post #9 above it is all in the details and condition. Personally I deduct a bunch for headers in a #'s desirable model. Just one small thing.

THAT is the car your looking at?

thats in my neck of the woods, not yours

lol
ive met the owner, and he seems cool enough
that car had slots on it before, and he let me take a pair home to see if they fit my 71 (they didnt) without any money down

(of course, now that im looking for the C/L add, its down)

THAT is the car your looking at?

thats in my neck of the woods, not yours

lol
ive met the owner, and he seems cool enough
that car had slots on it before, and he let me take a pair home to see if they fit my 71 (they didnt) without any money down

(of course, now that im looking for the C/L add, its down)

So you’ve seen the car in person?? Lol I purchased the car the other day. It’s being shipped up to me this week. Mind sending me a PM? Thanks !

i cant send you a PM, your inbox is full

i have NOT seen the car in person, but i've met the owner , excuse me, ex owner
he owns a shop out in zeeland MI, right?

the guy seemed pretty cool

So you’ve seen the car in person?? Lol I purchased the car the other day. It’s being shipped up to me this week. Mind sending me a PM? Thanks !

So you bought it without personal inspection?

Did you have someone inspect it for you?

Did the seller sent you lots (30+) quality detail pictures of the car?

i cant send you a PM, your inbox is full

i have NOT seen the car in person, but i've met the owner , excuse me, ex owner
he owns a shop out in zeeland MI, right?

the guy seemed pretty cool

Yes that’s correct!
I’ve never purchased a vehicle sight unseen before aside from projects that didn’t need to be seen first lol quote nerve racking but he seemed like a great guy. Sent a million photos of every inch of the car, multiple videos. Pretty comfortable with it and excited to get it !

That appears to be a sharp looking Duster!

So we’ve scratched your back by providing you with our opinions (price ranges based on the details you provided). Since a two way street helps built goodwill (compared to a one way street where little is returned), how about scratching our back by sharing with us what you paid for it?

Since you started the thread to seek validation on if you got a deal/paid a fair price/overpaid, how about providing closure for everyone who contributed to your thread?

Congrats on what looks like a very nice car. True as H22A4 said, verified sales prices established what the market truly is, NOT what all the, "I want this" and CL and Feebay BS!!!!

I agree with autoxcuda on price determined by the details and the documented history of the car from the initial purchase when brand new. Factory original 340s bring more consistently high prices compared to modified cars.

Did the previous owner provide those details? Did the factory original rallye wheels come with the car ( the 1970 Duster 340 came from the factory with rallye road wheels as standard equipment) ? What about the factory painted gas cap and the factory dual turndown exhaust that was unique to the 1970 Duster 340? Under the hood --- does the engine have the correct valve covers, air cleaner, fan shroud, master cylinder? Did the owner provide the factory exhaust manifolds along with the headers? Factory intake and Carter AVS provided ?

If the interior is restored, what pieces were replaced, and what sources used to acquire the replacement items? If the car was equipped with a factory radio option, that should remain as a thumbwheel radio which was only available on the 70 Duster 340, instead of circular knobs on the 1971 and up Duster 340s.

Last edited:
But not everyone that springs to buy a REAL 70 340 Duster is worried about every minut detail of correctness, you left off did it still have 1970 air on tires?
Original correct cars are loved by those that have studied every detail as they came from factory. I total agree all you mention has a lot to do with value, but not everyone is so concerned.
Anything paid over the price of scrap is salesmanship!!

Very true about many not that interested in the details of what sets one year apart from another, especially when looking at cars like the Duster 340. However, looking at this another way, moving away from what makes the car valuable - originality - is better executed by taking a lower performance version and building it up - i.e. hot rodding a /6.

The 1970 Duster 340 was the first of the 340 Dusters and was quite understated but distinctive none the less. To some, the understated nature of the 1970 340 Duster pays tribute to what Mopar was all about, back to it's earlier roots in the early 1960s cars like the Max Wedge cars. For example the dual exhaust with turndowns speak to that, the simple clean exterior design devoid of any tack - ons, yet very purposeful, because those in the know immediately understood what they were looking at, a entry level muscle car that packed a strong punch. The drivetrain did the speaking, not the tacky add - ons.

The 1970 Duster 340 was pure and faithful to the old Mopar formula, sleeper looks packing a tough drivetrain that was a better value than the competition.

Just my opinion, but the original 340 cars look better and bring more dollars, when they remain faithful to their originality. Not many remain - and those that do remain are better served in original condition.
Take a look at dmoore's 1972 340 Duster --- it would be a shame for someone to hack that original car which represents the best of what Mopar had to offer in 1972.

If someone needs a hot rod - start with a /6 and have a blast modifying the car to one's heart content.

I hear the sound of crickets chirping as the OP hasn’t closed the loop with us. And that’s ok to do but some folks here can see the ‘look at me intent’ when there’s only a one way information path. It smells a lot like the peeps who post on Facebook primarily to ‘show off’ what they just bought/have/or where they are on vacation!

Could also be he bought it, and the car is still in transit

Could also be he bought it, and the car is still in transit

The car being in transit has no relevance to closing the loop with us on what the price is of a 1970 340 Duster!

-
Back