70 318 Motor Won't Start

-

Wizard

Reaction score
This truck has been sitting for about 1 1/2 years and it always started right up as I only started it once every year. It has a 318 automatic. It did not have spark at the spark plugs at first but then I switched out to a different coil and still did not have spark. Then I jiggled and reconnected the bulkhead connector at the firewall and it then has spark at the spark plugs. I have been pouring gas down the carb and cranking it over but it will not even catch or fire once. Did this for about an hour or so. I never pulled the distributor cap off or did anything else as this truck always fired right up after sitting for a complete year every year. What would be causing this? Snapped cam from the extreme cold winter this year? Timing somehow off? Like I say I just fire it up once every year drive it around on property little bit then park it.

Thnks,

Wizard

Tell me EXACTLY how you checked the spark.

I always get this down to the very basics and it ALWAYS works

Compression, fuel, and spark

You must have COMPRESSION, enough to run. This includes valve timing, leaky valves, dried out rings, whatever else. Run a compression check or leakdown check. Squirt a bit of oil into the cylinders and check again. You can buy a Horrid Freight leak down tester for 40 bucks, or make one from internet info, so "no excuse"

You must have FUEL and this means fresh fuel, not the crud that was "how old, again?" Pull the plugs and check them for fuel fowling. EASY to do if you prime the engine and gas fowl the plugs

Spark and at the right TIME. You can check timing with a light "on the starter." Also, it is IMPORTANT to know that cranking the engine WITH THE KEY versus jumpering the starter relay creates two distinctly different situations.

Cranking with the key supplies battery voltage to the coil + IF THIS is not working, and you check by jumpering the start relay, "you might think" you have start, but you actually do NOT

Jumpering the start relay also does not give you full battery voltage "at the coil." This MIGHT lead you to believe you have a WEAK spark, if the battery is down a bit.

You likely flooded it pouring gas into it..

Take a coupla spark plugs out,, to see if they're soaked from dumping gas down the carb..

If they're dry, -- diss-regard everything below.. and see above..

If they're wet,, take the rest of them out and prop the throttle as far open as poss.. Crank the engine over a dozen times, to ventilate all the raw gas in the cyls.. Leave it sit .. Dry the plugs,, I sometimes play a propane torch or heat gun on the plugs to dry them..

Re-install them,, pump the gas twice, and turn the key,,

hope it helps

Yes, just using the battery hooked up and battery are fresh and gas is fresh (brand new) I think I washed the cylinders down by pouring gas into it initally and also no spark at first. No Jumpering or anything out of the usual going on. Just normal get in the truck and turning the ignition key. Yes, pulled 2 plugs and they have spark. Also put a plug coming directly out of coil and it has spark. I did not try putting any oil into cylinders and try starting it again. Will do that and see what happens.

Wizard

-
Back