70 318?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a 70 318 that he was taking to the scrapper, i've seen it & its complete, he doesn't think its worth anything, i told him i'll take it if he's going to junk it, i'm sure its a good engine, he doesn't know if it runs or not, but its not locked up, from what i've seen on it, theres no sludge under the VCs & its in stock condition, the big ???? Is this a steel crank 318 & is it worth saving?

I have a friend that has a 70 318 that he was taking to the scrapper, i've seen it & its complete, he doesn't think its worth anything, i told him i'll take it if he's going to junk it, i'm sure its a good engine, he doesn't know if it runs or not, but its not locked up, from what i've seen on it, theres no sludge under the VCs & its in stock condition, the big ???? Is this a steel crank 318 & is it worth saving?

"It's a boat anchor"....... Just kiddin! Its well worth saving.
Not 100% sure on the crank but either way, don't let it go to the scrapper.

Take it! You never know, it might have a forged crank, pull the pan once you get it. It could also have a standard bore, which would be nice!

not positive but i believe it would be a cast crank motor but still worth keeping if it is.last steel motors i remeber seeing were 69 model with a few creeping into the 70s long time ago though so i could be wrong

It's a "boat anchor"..and i'm not kidding..

Why don't you offer up one of your 340's for the same price as he can get this 1970 motor for then if the 318 is such a boat anchor. Or better yet, just keep your opinions to yourself if you can't offer something constructive. I've read all the "340 is superior" comments I can stand!!! Thanks, Geof

It's a "boat anchor"..and i'm not kidding..

C'mon stroked, it's a MOPAR! It's much better than a sbc...Guess you think my 318 build is worthless boat anchor effort...Rather have a 318 than a sbc any day...They run forever :)

It will be a cast crank, but it should have bushed connecting rods.

Why don't you offer up one of your 340's for the same price as he can get this 1970 motor for then if the 318 is such a boat anchor. Or better yet, just keep your opinions to yourself if you can't offer something constructive. I've read all the "340 is superior" comments I can stand!!! Thanks, Geof

He's getting it for FREE..as in not wanted "boat anchor" a 340 for free..never seen it as far as being superior your absolutely right..

Lets see, so according to stroked 340's philosophy, anything free is a boat anchor and should not be saved, and the 340 is the only worthy smallblock??? I gave a 6 cylinder motor to the Cox Brothers racing group, does that make it a boat anchor??? They are currently running 9:90's with a 6 cylinder!!! Boat anchor??? How fast is your 340 running there, stroked??? 9:90's??? Not everyone has the $800.00 to shell out for a used up 340 and then dump another $2-3K into it. If you do, more power to you!! If the OP can use a free motor and put it to good use, it's not a boat anchor!!! Geof

That's funny because I am picking up a free 318 today also. I don't know the casting number, but it's free. It's one of my neighbors and he says that he has quite a bit of mopar engine parts that I am welcome to also. This will make 4 318s that I have in storage. I am sure one of them will be used for my stroker build down the road.

Just take your free 318 "boat anchor" and turn it into a 400 hp street engine for the price of a rebuild and some out of the box magnum heads. The dyno may be generous, but hell, that ain't bad.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html

And there's nothing magic about the 340's. They were great engines from the factory because they had decent flowing heads, 10:1 compression and a hotter cam. Do the same thing to a 318 (as they did above) and you'll have a great engine that probably makes 20-30 hp less, but cost as much as 1k less to build if you can get it for free. BFD.

Using the above build, you can figure the 318 makes about 400/318 = 1.26 hp per cube. A similarly built 340 will make around 1.26x340 = 428 hp (maybe, the heads might not flow enough for that in stock trim). But even if it did, you'll pay at least 500 bucks and probably more for a 340 core, and the pistons cost more.

And unless you're on the track, you may not even notice the difference, since most of it will be at 6,000 rpm.

Lets see, so according to stroked 340's philosophy, anything free is a boat anchor and should not be saved, and the 340 is the only worthy smallblock??? I gave a 6 cylinder motor to the Cox Brothers racing group, does that make it a boat anchor??? They are currently running 9:90's with a 6 cylinder!!! Boat anchor??? How fast is your 340 running there, stroked??? 9:90's??? Not everyone has the $800.00 to shell out for a used up 340 and then dump another $2-3K into it. If you do, more power to you!! If the OP can use a free motor and put it to good use, it's not a boat anchor!!! Geof

Stop making any sort of sense. Your dealing with someone that can't seem to find the 2-3 missing MPH in his car...

And yes stroganoff, you're still on ignore.

Its all about the whole "hoopla" about having a 340, i've owned a few, had a 72 in my 73 duster, "yeah" it kicked ***, but IMO, the 360s are just as good, the earlier models of coarse, i'll take anything if its free, especially an early model 318, i hate to see it go to waiste, now the later Magnums i really like.

BTW, i'll take a 400 SBC ANY day.

I'd take a free or cheap '70 318 any day. I have a "free" one in my current project car that I'll keep around for a future project. Definitely don't let it go to the scrapper in any case!

me too.....$o I can $ell it to you. he he

don't forget to drill them $team holes in yer after market head$!LOL
If you feel the need to keep it then get it and save it. I parted out a 73 Challenger a couple years ago and it had a complete 70 318 and 904 trans in it and I called a good friend ( God rest his soul) to see if he wanted it since I figured if anyone would save it, it would be him and he turned it down so I scrapped it. They have forged cranks. I think the thing about saving 318's is there are so many of them out there we all take it for granted and say "nah just scrap it"

If you feel the need to keep it then get it and save it. I parted out a 73 Challenger a couple years ago and it had a complete 70 318 and 904 trans in it and I called a good friend ( God rest his soul) to see if he wanted it since I figured if anyone would save it, it would be him and he turned it down so I scrapped it. They have forged cranks. I think the thing about saving 318's is there are so many of them out there we all take it for granted and say "nah just scrap it"

I was talkin about the 400 sbc that joedust451 likes.

-
Back