'70 Chrysler 300 8 3/4???

-

hellion_locdogg

Slant Sickness
Reaction score
I have a lead on one for $200, is it worth it?(obviously I will inspect its mechanical intergrity) What are the major differences between cases and what not. I always see guys talk about this case and that case but it's like they're speaking Chinese. It's open and that's all I know other than what I already stated.

If it's complete with brakes that's not too bad. If it's got a sure grip in it that's a really good deal.

Any of the cases are fine. Some prefer the 489 and 742 over the 741. In reality, any of them work.

Oh... go F yourself... LOL

I'll note, it wont fit your car. The perches are wrong, and it's way too wide. You can use the brakes, axles, and meatball in an A body case once the axles are cut down...

You can use it all in the A body if you modify it to fit. 200 bucks is a pretty cheap starting point. Some say the 741 cases are junk cause of the small pinion but they'll push an A body down the road fine. That's probably not what it is anyway because the 741 was A body only if I remember right. I won't say go F yourself cause it's rude. lol

I found a c-body 8 3/4 at pull yard and got it for $100. Jayson

look for casting numbers on the center chunk.
they will either be 741, 742 or 489
I personally like the 489 chunks, but the 742 chunk is great as well

If narrowing the housing for an A body the axles may be able to be re-splined.

Quick google search this information is a good read for your questions.
http://members.tripod.com/mojo_page/chry875.htm

I pull alot from cars in junk yards for 100 bucks. Alot only have 2.73 gears and open.

Thanks guys, I do realize it will have to be cut and modded to fit, but it's got to be a hundred times better that the original 7 1/4".

742 case is nice because you can swap things around in there, 741 will work but not what you call gold. 489 and 742 are highly sought after. Be aware of the clutch and cone style, clutch can be rebuilt, so no one is ever willing to sell them, when they do they sell so fast that no one even sees them. You always take a gamble buying a cone case because you dont know if the seller is getting rid of it due to it is starting to fail. if you buy one and it doesnt work, it goes to the dump and your more than likely out 300

Thanks guys, I do realize it will have to be cut and modded to fit, but it's got to be a hundred times better that the original 7 1/4".

That's right. And at 200 clams, you can afford to mod everything it takes and still be money ahead. Besides all that, you'll have something you did yourself. You'll know what's there when you're done.

Although it's only got a measly slant six making it go round. I'd rather KNOW that my mild built /6 and PB904 w TF2 kit won't smash my spiders and leave me thumbing it.

I would say that the 8 3/4 is a 1000 times better.
I have heard/read from alot of people that a stock 8 3/4 will handle 500hp no worries. So down the road when U upgrade to a stroker V8 and the rear will be there. If you have to disassemble the rear you could go ahead and weld a brace on it then that will be done also. Overkill for now but plans always change without warning.

-
Back