70 dart 4-speed 340

-
Hey guys, first post!
I'm looking to buy this car in my area and wanted to get a few opinions on it. Owner claims it's super rare but needs a bit of work. A 340 dart restored, same color but auto sold in my area for $35900. I believe the price may be high but you guys judge. Any info would be great.

Numbers Matching H-code 340 4-speed Dart Swinger - cars & trucks -...

Seems pretty high to me for having to do that much rust repair, especially rail replacement. There is a fellow on A-body Mopar and has a thread in fabo restoration section, doing a full on resto on a 70 Swinger, he can give you an idea if it’s worth the buy in. His name is Randy Hight, I sold him a bunch of parts when i was living in Edmonton. I picked up a rusty 69 340 4-speed Swinger for 300 bucks a few years ago on a whim, rusty and stripped but has a fender tag. I’m wondering what it’s worth now.

Welcome and your instinct is correct.

I saw that ad last week and was talking to my neighbour about it who is also a Mopar nut. We both agreed that if that was a /6 or a 318 it would be a parts car. That needs a lot of work. Unless you own a body shop and put little to no value on your time, you will for sure be upside down in the restoration cost vs what you could sell it for once restored (assuming no shortcuts are taken).

The way the ad is written, it sounds like he bought it cheap, knows (and admits) it needs a lot of work and is trying to flip it for a healthy profit. Nothing about the history of it which is consistent for a flip. Also, his idea of super rare is different from many others. They made almost 4,500 ‘70 340 4spd Swingers. Hard to tell if it has a fender tag or not? Best to find another project at a lower price.

Last edited:
I saw that ad last week and was talking to my neighbour about it who is also a Mopar nut. We both agreed that if that was a /6 or a 318 it would be a parts car. That needs a lot of work. Unless you own a body shop and put little to no value on your time, you will for sure be upside down in the restoration cost vs what you could sell it for once restored (assuming no shortcuts are taken).
I would also have to agree unless this was your ultimate dream car you had been looking for since childhood and even if it was I would still be looking to give him half that...

I've seen h code restored Dusters go for upwards and over 30k but they had at least that into it no doubt...

Run, Forrest, run!! That would need a lot of work. Appears to be a lot of filler in both quarters. Who knows what the frame rails look like. I’d find a cleaner car to start with than that unless your independently wealthy and have an infinite amount of free time!

Hey guys, first post!
I'm looking to buy this car in my area and wanted to get a few opinions on it. Owner claims it's super rare but needs a bit of work. A 340 dart restored, same color but auto sold in my area for $35900. I believe the price may be high but you guys judge. Any info would be great.

Numbers Matching H-code 340 4-speed Dart Swinger - cars & trucks -...
Check out AMD and see what's available because to me that parts car would make rebuilding this car that much more labor intensive. To me it isn't worth 10k, but it's definitely worth restoring. I got a chuckle about the car "just like it that sold for $35,000 or whatever". Usually the seller posts a picture of a similar car all finished as the bait and then says "when this car is restored it will look just like this one which sold for $$$$$$$"!! Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Give only $3800!!! Nice parts...that's it. Total resto... you will be upside down a little bit...engine and tranny are prolly all needing rebuilt..$4500 @ most....

the bondo is falling off the previous "repairs" :rofl: even the stuff that's there needs a complete going through.
if you want to do a real restoration, meaning bone stock as built, then ya, you need a real 340 car, and only you can decide if this is too much work for the $$. if you're going to build the car past that point and you just want to say you have a real 340 car, but you put a stroker kit in it and a 6 speed, just go find a solid base to start with. that thing is a basket case and a half. i don't know your skill set, but you'll dump $100,000 into it if a shop does it.

Well I can do all the work myself. I'm an autobody painter with experience in bodywork. He sent the picture of the fender tag and everything he says checks out. My only concern is why is the trunk blue... The blue seems to be over the green.

Well I can do all the work myself. I'm an autobody painter with experience in bodywork. He sent the picture of the fender tag and everything he says checks out. My only concern is why is the trunk blue... The blue seems to be over the green.
Well the engine bay is painted black, one valve cover looks black and the car is no longer listed for sale.

Does the second bottom row of the fender tag have a “C” or a “U” in it? If it’s a C then it was built for the Canadian market. If a U then it was built for the American market and imported over the past 50 years.

The other concern in his asking price.

Well I can do all the work myself. I'm an autobody painter with experience in bodywork.
then you're miles ahead. still way too rough for the price. i wonder if it sold or the seller saw this thread :rolleyes:

If you’re still looking for a project, here’s another ‘70 340 Dart (Auto) that will also need work but it doesn’t appear as in bad shape as the 4spd you’re looking at. This one needs an engine though. Panther Pink was sprayed on 0.6% of the 2 door Dodge Darts in 1970 which equates to ~715. As a FM3 Dart, and a 340 at that, it’s super rare. Price is also quite high considering it needs an engine.

dodge dart swinger 340 PINK - cars & trucks - by owner

Last edited:
While my 70 h-code 4 speed Swinger is not currently for sale I would think 25ish would be enough if I were to put it on the market. All you would have to do is fix a few paint bubbles and a noisey 3.23 gear set. The best part is you could drive it the rest of the summer and only put gas in it and an occasional washing. Please don't ask! It is not for sale.
Jerry

While my 70 h-code 4 speed Swinger is not currently for sale I would think 25ish would be enough if I were to put it on the market. All you would have to do is fix a few paint bubbles and a noisey 3.23 gear set. The best part is you could drive it the rest of the summer and only put gas in it and an occasional washing. Please don't ask! It is not for sale.
Jerry
Lol, as long as that noisy 3:23 doesn't leave you sitting.

Lol, as long as that noisy 3:23 doesn't leave you sitting.

I
IMG_20200614_154726_000.jpg
I have faith in the old girl. This winter the 3.23s will be swapped out for new 3.55s. Never a worry when out in the old Dodge
Jerry

-
Back