70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
I still think you need to get Tim over there sanding, it be nice to get a coat of epoxy on the car.
oh BTW I like the wheel. :thumbsup:
My wife and I invited Tim and his wife for dinner soon...( It's actually a sanding party lol)
Yes sir, I believe the 15 by 12 should be nice in the mini tub

Ok. It won’t be long and they’ll be big enough to hang in the shop and supervise your work. I’m sure they’ll give me full updates on your progress.
I'm hoping to get this garbage can done before they're big enough. They can go out there when it's done.

IMG_20230422_143720742_HDR.jpg

2 rats and 1 cat... Or I mean helpers.
Don't mind the Christmas lights, everyday is Christmas to me

Those two definitely look like they are always looking for trouble. And they will find it lol. Your hands are going to be full with those two stinkers.
Yes, I was just pondering life while In the shower and suddenly realized the permanence of what we did 3 weeks ago lol.

I got a little more time out in the garage today after my friend went back home, some yard work and constant puppy stuff lol .
I started drilling spot welds and after about 20 minutes I said F it and got the grinder out, cut the center of the rusty roof out. This was done for 2 reasons, 1 the roof was junk stuff and 2nd it will be much easier to do the 12 point cage.

IMG_20230507_185547411.jpg

IMG_20230507_185523278_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230507_190218251.jpg
and after the cage is in I have another roof to weld back on.
IMG_20230507_190602747_HDR.jpg

Yes, I was just pondering life while In the shower and suddenly realized the permanence of what we did 3 weeks ago lol.

Yup, a lifetime commitment. The lifetime of those little trouble makers. The first year is the hardest. The last day is the worst. The in between is all worth it.

2 purveyors of unconditional love, and 1 that doesn't care if you are dead or alive, as long as it gets fed.:poke:
Actually that cat has something different. He's a run up to my truck after work, greets me, jumps up into my arms, sleeps with me loves me cat.

You gotta be kidding me, I put my heads back together and didn't take a picture.
I used Howard's cams 98632 springs. They want the spring installed at 1.940 it's supposed to be 140 pounds came out at 160 pounds. I got them in around there between 1.930 and 1.935
Weird thing was there were 6, .015 shims left over and 2, .060 shims. Why they were in there, I have no idea but that would have made some of my spring pressures quite a bit more than necessary.

Anybody know if the main hoop for the rool cage has a rule stipulating it must be plumb ? Or can it be at a slight angle?

Yup, a lifetime commitment. The lifetime of those little trouble makers. The first year is the hardest. The last day is the worst. The in between is all worth it.
It's time for muzzles with big red clown noses for these wanna be timber wolves

Thank you for the reply mopowers, I was reading the rule book but didn't see anything about an angle lol and didn't want a redo it situation

I've seen some that are pretty angled. As long as it's within reason and meets the height/distance specs, you're probably fine. I'm enjoying this build by the way. Nice work!

I've seen some that are pretty angled. As long as it's within reason and meets the height/distance specs, you're probably fine. I'm enjoying this build by the way. Nice work!
Thank you, I appreciate that!
I guess all I needed to do was start a thread so I have some accountability and get it moving.

The other thing I noticed about just cutting out the main roof skin is I have the roof framing as extra hands to help mock it up. I love my dumb luck lol

Just finished taking care of the pups and eating dinner, thought I would post a couple pictures of the 471 going back together, I left work early to go to Mr rat bastids (I got all my work done)
So I could put together my short block.
Here's a short list of what's in the short block.
Molnar 3.915 stroke crankshaft.
Molnar 6.700 length power adder rods 2.200

IMG_20230509_202333097_HDR.jpg

Srp 4032 alloy 1.320 pistons which I sent out for coating from line 2 line, .010 out of deck
Total seal gas ported rings.
.001 over bearings, wanted a little less clearance so I'm at .024
Nothing super special but I probably qualify as almost poor AKA a hundrednaire lol.
I forgot my head gaskets at work or I'd have them on too.

IMG_20230509_202432424.jpg
and I guess the hemi orange mancini sells is race hemi not the ev2 based street hemi color.
I'm painting it white as soon as I get the exterior degreased.

Maybe

Just finished taking care of the pups and eating dinner, thought I would post a couple pictures of the 471 going back together, I left work early to go to Mr rat bastids (I got all my work done)
So I could put together my short block.
Here's a short list of what's in the short block.
Molnar 3.915 stroke crankshaft.
Molnar 6.700 length power adder rods 2.200

View attachment 1716088198
Srp 4032 alloy 1.320 pistons which I sent out for coating from line 2 line, .010 out of deck
Total seal gas ported rings.
.001 over bearings, wanted a little less clearance so I'm at .024
Nothing super special but I probably qualify as almost poor AKA a hundrednaire lol.
I forgot my head gaskets at work or I'd have them on too.

View attachment 1716088199and I guess the hemi orange mancini sells is race hemi not the ev2 based street hemi color.
I'm painting it white as soon as I get the exterior degreased.

Maybe

All that and no puppy pictures. Dang.

IMG_20230509_212327096.jpg

There, she wants my spaghetti lol.
Another newborn 8 days old my neighbors new mule baby

IMG_20230506_104609362_HDR.jpg

It can be at an angle. There are specs on height and distance from the driver's helmet though.

View attachment 1716087822
Is this 6 point rollbar rule the base from what I work from as I am building a 12 point & if I'm reading this correctly on our Mopars we have to sandwich the floor pan with 1/8 inch steel plate top & bottom???

Do you guys do anything to the floor pan when you mounted your seats?
I bought a kirkey and the brackets but I was just wondering because the floor pans aren't very thick

Is this 6 point rollbar rule the base from what I work from as I am building a 12 point & if I'm reading this correctly on our Mopars we have to sandwich the floor pan with 1/8 inch steel plate top & bottom???
For other cage specs, you should refer to Section 21 of the rulebook: https://nationaldragster.s3.amazonaws.com/Rulebooks/2023_NHRA_Rulebook_22_11_08.pdf#page=326

My understanding is if the floor plates are bolted, then NHRA requires a top and bottom plate. If you weld the floor plates (which you should IMO), you only need one 6"x6" plate on top of the floor pan. Or the tubes can be welded to a frame outrigger connecting the frame rail to the inner rocker. That's how I did mine.

Do you guys do anything to the floor pan when you mounted your seats?
I bought a kirkey and the brackets but I was just wondering because the floor pans aren't very thick
I bolted my procar seats where the stock floor doubler/stiffener plates are. If your mounts fall outside of those, I'd make some new stiffener plates with some 1/8" plate or figure out a way to tie the mounts into the frame somehow.

-
Back