70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got this car in 2018 for $400.00,
It sat at my mom's until 2021 since I had nowhere to put it. My wife and I bought a house out in the country and now I have a place to work on it.
So I'm in the destruction - reconstruction phase.
Mock up.
I apologize I haven't been great at remembering to take pictures.
But here you go. I haven't named the car yet

IMG_20220620_183135924.jpg

IMG_20220620_183221045.jpg

IMG_20220620_183151142.jpg

IMG_20230326_153238670.jpg

IMG_20220219_161222343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230219_135725166_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230416_133913123.jpg

IMG_20230219_135715023.jpg

IMG_20230416_133925376.jpg

IMG_20230219_135632626_HDR.jpg

Sorry the pictures went in recent to less recent, I give up for tonight lol

You better get Tim over there working. Just get him a case of ginger ale and get him working.
I hear he's good at running a sander. lol

You better get Tim over there working. Just get him a case of ginger ale and get him working.
I hear he's good at running a sander. lol
Yeah he specifically said he hates that lol.
He will definitely lend a hand.
We trade work, I get Dr pepper & he'll get ginger ale

Over at rat bastids house, I Installed new cam bearings an hour ago & installed a new intermediate shaft bushing.
Going to try to get the short block together and degree the cam soon, definitely need to check piston to valve clearance since I made my trickflow heads combustion chamber 65 CC's .080 surfaced.
New cam from smcarnut Hughes 264-268 solid flat tappet
IMG_20230417_171036561.jpg

A few changes I've got since the 1st build started dropping power.
I should mention the original build was done by someone else not associated with rat bastid, lead 69.
The list of wrongs from what I recall.
Rocker shaft bolts were way to short, bent and snapped both shafts on the 2nd day Dyno tuning.
I measured the head gaskets from the last build.
They were 4.380 bore, my pistons were rubbing the gasket because of core shift I believe, it wasn't all the pistons.
Ring gaps were too small and clearaced themselves.
Rod bearing clearance was too much, I'll have to remeasure but I couldn't get **** for oil pressure.
Dipstick wasn't going down into the oil on the milodon pan I have.
Camshaft was in incorrectly.
Blueprint sheet had my pistons in at 0 deck, what do ya know after decking the pistons were out of the deck +.010
@Rat Bastid does that sum it up.
Oh the bearings were F'd up as well.

The corrections and betterment.
I Sent the pistons in to line to line coating for skirt coating.
I bought 4.410 bore @.051 thickness for a total .041thickness.
New bearings through out. +001 rod bearings.
Plateau honed cylinders.
New gas ported total seal rings.
Nothing wrong with the cam I was running but I was a little rpm limited (that could've been cam timing) but I went a few more degrees duration & a bit more lift.
Got 1.1 points more compression from 11.7 to 12.8:1 by decking my heads.
Opened up the port window on the trickflow 240 heads to Hughes valley pan size and blended it in till it was blended in lol.
Got a tunnel ram from @MidnightSwinger and am putting a matching billet blp 850 annular booster carb that I was running on trick flow single plane.
I applaud anyone who reads all that, thank you fabo for your support since I've joined

Last edited:
Can't forget, had 2 inch fender well headers.
Now 2 to 2 1/8 tti headers

Man, you got some work to do!. If it comes down to crunch time for the mopar nats in July let me know and I will lend whatever assistance I can. BUT, if your life even remotely resembles mine you will be making your first pass in September/October if at all this year lol.

You also didn't mention the first engine build was done by a guy who should never claim to be an engine builder and was not affiliated with any of us.

Yes, you're correct & I'll surely edit the post, he was not affiliated with you or rat bastid.
This time it will be done correctly!!!

At this point I hope to get the car done & hopefully get a few runs in this season.
Soooo much to do, but I work pretty quick when I have the time and my wife will leave me alone

Yes, you're correct & I'll surely edit the post, he was not affiliated with you or rat bastid.
This time it will be done correctly!!!

At this point I hope to get the car done & hopefully get a few runs in this season.
Soooo much to do, but I work pretty quick when I have the time and my wife will leave me alone
Or affiliated with you!, I might see him at the nats and it will be fun to ask a few "pointed questions" of him about your engine, sadly been there a few times myself. Wish there was such a thing as a magic wand so you me and rat could all be making passes together at renegade in June.

-
Back