70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
To be honest you’re fine the way you are unless you plan on making 3K plus power and probably would still be good, was just a question.

Wouldn’t think the seam weld would be a problem with tech since a lot of roll bars are seam welded along their length when the make the tubing. Wonder if we have any guys who cert chassis on the site who could answer about that, kinda curious myself?

Keep it up man, giving me ideas for my Dart!
There's a chassis guy down in town and as soon as I get my last 6 bars in I'm going to have him come out.
Seam weld ...I guess I meant butt weld. I could have done that and made gussets, then saved 6 pounds darn it lol.
My engine is just below 7 so I don't think I'll be blowing the chassis up.
I tell you 1 thing doing all this chassis work is really easy with no floor

There's a chassis guy down in town and as soon as I get my last 6 bars in I'm going to have him come out.
Seam weld ...I guess I meant butt weld. I could have done that and made gussets, then saved 6 pounds darn it lol.
My engine is just below 7 so I don't think I'll be blowing the chassis up.
I tell you 1 thing doing all this chassis work is really easy with no floor
Let us know what he says, interested in his thoughts!

I knew what ya meant, tomato, tomatoe :)
I’m at 540 so I’m not over stressing anything! Not having floors in would have been nice when I put my subframe connectors in, but wasn’t too bad. I should probably put in bars under my roll bar as I just went to the floor :BangHead:

I’m at 540 so I’m not over stressing anything! Not having floors in would have been nice when I put my subframe connectors in, but wasn’t too bad. I should probably put in bars under my roll bar as I just went to the floor :BangHead:
I did all this work because I didn't have a way to bend the .125 plate and the one I did do, my floor pan disappeared when I pulled the trigger on the welder gun lol

I did all this work because I didn't have a way to bend the .125 plate and the one I did do, my floor pan disappeared when I pulled the trigger on the welder gun lol
my floor pan disappeared:rofl:

Luckily mines a California car so the pans are good, but still pretty thin to support a roll bar. I figure since the whole pan is basically the same thickness my seat will bust through the floor at the same time the bar does if I put it on its lid!

my floor pan disappeared:rofl:

Luckily mines a California car so the pans are good, but still pretty thin to support a roll bar. I figure since the whole pan is basically the same thickness my seat will bust through the floor at the same time the bar does if I put it on its lid!
Lol, you don't want any of that happening.

Yeah I will definitely let you guys know.
I'll be pretty happy if I have a certified cage built by myself.

I have a TBD inspection for my cage 3 weeks from now after speaking with the cage cert dude, I also got an idea of what I can use for driveline safety loop. I forget stuff really easy but iirc he said 7/8 by .065 chromoly is minimum thickness.
I want to get the cage certified before I get my floor built, I have plenty to keep my busy though on the car.
So I'm probably going to go with lighter weight stuff from now on.
Such is life when there's a threat of a dress and man bun.

Last edited:
I’m Scottish, so a dress doesn’t scare me. But the man bun is strictly forbidden. You must not let that happen.
Yeah I have the same blood line.
They're talking about a flowery dress lol.
Man bun... nope I'll burn my hair off

Last night, Hank the neighbors dog turned into enemy #1
Dog got passed my neighbor again.
Ran around and showed up at my house again, this time I heard the growling and saw the fight start. In about 5 seconds I was in the middle of the fight, I saved the pitbull from certain death in a matter of 10 more seconds.popcorn wasn't playing at all and Hank was already bloody.
I picked Hank up and carried him almost to his house but thought I'd put him down and that's when we he turned on me and bit my forearm pretty good, good enough to not have full range of motion or feeling in 2 fingers. The bite marks are very deep bruise but not badly punctured & it will heal. Unfortunately nothing good will come from this if he gets out again.
Let's just say I don't care.
Yesterday I spent most of the day getting the rest of the floor off that was spot welded on the rockers and discovered I forgot something that would make me fail certification, so I'm working on that today.

Last night, Hank the neighbors dog turned into enemy #1
Dog got passed my neighbor again.
Ran around and showed up at my house again, this time I heard the growling and saw the fight start. In about 5 seconds I was in the middle of the fight, I saved the pitbull from certain death in a matter of 10 more seconds.popcorn wasn't playing at all and Hank was already bloody.
I picked Hank up and carried him almost to his house but thought I'd put him down and that's when we he turned on me and bit my forearm pretty good, good enough to not have full range of motion or feeling in 2 fingers. The bite marks are very deep bruise but not badly punctured & it will heal. Unfortunately nothing good will come from this if he gets out again.
Let's just say I don't care.
Yesterday I spent most of the day getting the rest of the floor off that was spot welded on the rockers and discovered I forgot something that would make me fail certification, so I'm working on that today.
Shoot that damn dog.

Okay, I made a little more progress.
1st thing I had to do was put a .125 thick plate behind my front outriggers which the a-piller bars are welded to so that was a serious *** pain . The torsion bar cross member is slightly channeled for a .125 plate that will make up for what I had to cut off.

IMG_20240218_131337065_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_180945329_HDR.jpg

2nd thing I was able to do was reinstall the front leaf spring boxes, this time they're in square and plumb. Since they're already welded to the frame rails I'll have to do whatever I have to do for that because I'll be using them for my slider mounts.

I hope to get the rest of the bars in either this week after work or next (3 day) weekend.
Thanks for following along.

I went ahead and fixed up all my mig welds with my tig welder today on the cage and frame.
Then I started removing floor pan sheet metal from the rear rails and bent 2 contoured .125 plates for my bars that go to the top of the main hoop into the trunk area.
I got one installed and will get the other side in tomorrow.
I'll have pictures tomorrow.
Also yesterday we took all 3 dogs in for spay and neuter surgeries.
Fun times.

I went ahead and fixed up all my mig welds with my tig welder today on the cage and frame.
Then I started removing floor pan sheet metal from the rear rails and bent 2 contoured .125 plates for my bars that go to the top of the main hoop into the trunk area.
I got one installed and will get the other side in tomorrow.
I'll have pictures tomorrow.
Also yesterday we took all 3 dogs in for spay and neuter surgeries.
Fun times.
Woof!

You are kicking *** dude, you seem to have a real knack for the chassis building.
Thanks dude.
When I'm done I'm going to know exactly what to do lol, I am learning as I go and luckily get better as I go too.
I brought in a piece of my cage and weighed it.
5 ft of 1-5/8 by .134 weighs 10 pounds.
Tommorow I will try and calculate the weight I've added. I'm pretty sure this car is going to be pretty heavy compared to my 3300 pound goal.

Thanks dude.
When I'm done I'm going to know exactly what to do lol, I am learning as I go and luckily get better as I go too.
Tommorow I will try and calculate the weight I've added. I'm pretty sure this car is going to be pretty heavy compared to my 3300 pound goal.
I don’t think it will be more than that. If it is there is always fiberglass.

Thanks dude.

What front suspension and brakes are you using. It’s hard to build a 3300 pound A body.

Jeez there was 19 notifications when I just looked here lol.
Today I was able to get my bars that go into the trunk installed ( I don't know what they're called)
Rocker bars installed and passenger side door bar.
I have 4 bars left.
Dash bar.
Driver's side door bar
My 2 bars that will tie the spring boxes into the main hoop, I call them my lift bars lol

IMG_20240224_163002886_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_112825191_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_112849461_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_141936374_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_141943323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_184000415_HDR.jpg

Tada

Pay no mind to that ugly *** weld on my main hoop, I did it on purpose lol

-
Back