70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
For those areas you could try a strip of metal as filler if it's easier to 'repair'. 1/16 is pretty standard because you can cleko pin/fit the sheet metal.
Dang I forgot, I didn't even think of using cleko's.
It's been a couple decades since I've done sheet metal work & never to this extent.

I just learned a very crappy lesson.
My spot weld holes are too big and I'm burning my new metal.
My mig won't work well in the lowest setting.
I have the wire speed up max and on the 2nd setting it's an .035 wire only millermatic 35
Piss me off.
I'll fix it or just put some light weight carpet in.
From now on I'm using a 1/16 drill bit.

Let me know if you want to borrow my MIG. I can bring it by the shop today. It will weld at low amps very nice.

What gauge sheetmetal are you using? What size wire and what shielding gas?

Snakes are probably popping out this week too.
He hates the woodpecker that made a hole in his garage. Coyotes are out like bandits now

I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that I didn't kill that stupid woodpecker for putting several holes in the shop or that I let the wife talk me into not killing that bugger. I'm still pissed off over that one.

I have a a Miller 110 that I can dial way down for the thinnest of sheet metal. Then I also have a Miller 250 that use for thicker stuff like frame rails, trailers, structural steel like I beams and C channel etc.

It's .024 with.035 wire. CO2 argon mix
That’s a big wire for for that thin sheet but it can work. I’m setting up a test with my 211 right now to see if I can help you dial it in. I’m using 030 wire ER70S-6 with 75/25 co2/argon mix, plug welding 22gauge to 080 wall square tube. Be back with some settings.
3C3B1619-0E95-4F48-9FCE-64B6E3EE1DAE.jpeg

3FC3716B-7B72-49AA-9007-7F51B07CE1B6.jpeg

I used the Miller settings for 22ga on the left side of the pic, 2.5/25 and it was cold. Increased wire speed and voltage as I moved right. 4/45 was my preferred weld puddle on this, second from far right.
4A79299F-9761-4CD2-A696-613590445130.jpeg

26546C52-413A-4296-916D-69C59BD7CAB5.jpeg

Thank you, that is very helpful
You’re welcome. Your settings may change slightly because of wire size, and metal thickness but not by large numbers. Important to keep the sheet held down tight to the base, as in no air gap, and you shouldn’t get burn through. Tap each hole with a hammer just before welding.

You’re welcome. Your settings may change slightly because of wire size, and metal thickness but not by large numbers. Important to keep the sheet held down tight to the base, as in no air gap, and you shouldn’t get burn through. Tap each hole with a hammer just before welding.
That was another issue I had was some spots I had to hold down with my other hand and and by that time I was a little shaky lol
Thank you again I will give the settings a try .

Great job helping each other out guys. That’s one of the reasons I love this site. Some guys are a little tight about sharing info but thus is life.

Hopefully one of us will still be wearing a dress.... LOL
If everything goes right, you will need to gain a 1/2 second or so, otherwise you will be wearing a dress. lol :poke:
Remember he has Tim in the pits. lol

-
Back