70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
I went through a few different settings on the 1985 millermatic 35 and found 3 voltage 10 wire speed works the best. But I will need to somehow keep the sheeting tighter to the frame. The way I drilled left raised areas. So I have been careful to hold them down. It's still not going to be perfect. When I get on to the next pieces I'll use sheet metal screws and drill smaller holes.
Clecos and/or Tec screws are your friend. I like tec screws cause I dont have to drill any holes. Put a bunch of em in and pull one out, weld the hole, move down the line.

Clecos and/or Tec screws are your friend. I like tec screws cause I dont have to drill any holes. Put a bunch of em in and pull one out, weld the hole, move down the line.
Sweet, thanks I'll get some tec screws.

I might be drag racing Bill on foot and then drag queening the rest of the day. Atleast your car is complete I assume
Kind of, but not for long lol, even if my car isn't at renegade I will be there. I guess worse case scenario you and I will have to wait until woodburn for our first mopar event and we all get to race our stuff. Tim told me he will have his car with mine in the stick class, it should be a hell of an event.

Kind of, but not for long lol, even if my car isn't at renegade I will be there. I guess worse case scenario you and I will have to wait until woodburn for our first mopar event and we all get to race our stuff. Tim told me he will have his car with mine in the stick class, it should be a hell of an event.

Is Tim coming out of retirement. Hmmmmm that should be interesting. I wonder what lit his fire.

Is Tim coming out of retirement. Hmmmmm that should be interesting. I wonder what lit his fire.
Probably your comments about bracket racing.
I also harassed him after that, I'm sure @lead69 & everyone else is on him too.
If I had his car I'd been posting slips by now lol

You're doing a 8.50 cage now too I heard.

You're doing a 8.50 cage now too I heard.
Actually it's had an 8.50 legal 8 point cage for two years now lol. With all that was going on with my wife's health I had no spare money or ambition to go racing but fortunately that has changed. I just don't want to throw it together again and instead actually get it the way I want it this time so I am taking a bit longer.

Actually it's had an 8.50 legal 8 point cage for two years now lol. With all that was going on with my wife's health I had no spare money or ambition to go racing but fortunately that has changed. I just don't want throw it together again and instead actually get it the way I want it this time so I am taking a bit longer.
Yeah that's the way to do it, right the 1st time.
I'm glad your wife is doing better.

I don't think he ever lost the fire to raise hell with a stick car but it was more of just getting fed up with the politics of racing. I think having a few buddies to race with at events helps.

Im going to start over on the trunk floor.
I'll be able to use the 2 pieces as templates.
I have plenty of steel sheet left and I'm not going to be happy.
Lesson learned, drill smaller holes using tek screws .
Dial in my welder on scrap practice pieces.
Also, I need to add more weight because Bill lol

As the world turns, ideas arise.
I am going to change directions for a little bit and do some mock up stuff before the floor is in, before the tubs are in.
I need to build my dana, I will try to do that this weekend. It's been a few years since I set up a differential.
Also need to get my engine in & put together my transmission....I've never built a complete transmission before but there are plenty of people I can check with if need be.
The reason for the direction change is as I see it has multiple things needing to happen at the same time, so I also need to get my slicks mounted to my wheels & many other things. Anything that might need to be changed will be easier without all my sheet metal in the car.
By the end of this month I should pretty much be bankrupt.

There you go. Get all the mechanical stuffs done first, then finish up the sheet metal. Way easier to work on that way and you can build around everything knowing it will fit.

There you go. Get all the mechanical stuffs done first, then finish up the sheet metal. Way easier to work on that way and you can build around everything knowing it will fit.
Yeah the slider deal really had me thinking.
Thanks

As the world turns, ideas arise.
I am going to change directions for a little bit and do some mock up stuff before the floor is in, before the tubs are in.
I need to build my dana, I will try to do that this weekend. It's been a few years since I set up a differential.
Also need to get my engine in & put together my transmission....I've never built a complete transmission before but there are plenty of people I can check with if need be.
The reason for the direction change is as I see it has multiple things needing to happen at the same time, so I also need to get my slicks mounted to my wheels & many other things. Anything that might need to be changed will be easier without all my sheet metal in the car.
By the end of this month I should pretty much be bankrupt.

You may be bankrupt but you still have the mutts!!!

I started on my dana 60 today, did a bunch of cleaning and and grinding off old brackets.
I cleaned up the exterior as best a I could without sand blasting it. I didn't want to drive down to work and put it in the hot tank either.
So my relearning experience led to probably 20 shim variations and what came out was 3 shims behind the pinion bearing on the pinion not the race. Luckily I had the old races and ground the OD with my bench grinder so it wasn't bad changing stuff so much. Tomorrow I need to find a shim that will end up about .003 thinner to give me my preload. As I left it there's about 15 inch pounds and instructions say 25 with new bearings.
Once that's done ill put my spool a ring gear in.
Surely that will take a few hours too.

Probably about the 55th time I got it correct
The best backlash I could achieve is .009 all else was too tight or too loose.
Thanks Chris Andrews for answering a couple questions on a Sunday morning & dad who said exactly what Chris said.

IMG_20240323_131255888_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240324_130120302_HDR.jpg

I'm not sure 100% if this contact pattern is good or not ?

IMG_20240324_131036962_HDR.jpg

Looks like the pinion needs more shim. Do you remember how much shim you put under the race?

More shim. Move the pinion deeper into the ring gear. From my experience, d60's usually have .035 to .055 under the race, unless it was a very old housing. Richmond's sometimes have a weird pattern but that is really on the outside of the tooth.

More shim. Move the pinion deeper into the ring gear. From my experience, d60's usually have .035 to .055 under the race, unless it was a very old housing. Richmond's sometimes have a weird pattern but that is really on the outside of the tooth.
Okay thanks, what was in behind the pinion was about .055 when I pulled it. It's old 69 B-body housing

By old, I a lot older than 69. I'm taking course spline axles and stuff. I can tell you that my d60 has .050 under the race and is set to .005 backlash but I have a spicer gear in it. Richmond usually wants a lot of backlash especially if it's a pro gear. I would put .040 in it and check it.

-
Back