70 Dart - Turbo Candidate no.2

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
Started a new build thread for my second Dart instead of keeping it combined with my 71.
My 71 Turbo Dart build.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49548

At some point I will move the turbo setup over to this car.

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. 340/904 with a 7 1/4 rear. Original /6 car. Been in AZ its whole life and for the last 6.5 years has been in a steel storage container in the back of the sellers place in Scottsdale.

I received the car the morning of 03-06-2010 at 8am. I'm happy with it and I don't think i could have found a cleaner Dart.

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

The small rear diff has to go. Putting an 8 3/4 in it.
IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Oooooo shiny!!

IMG_1059.jpg

The 340 will get replaced with the roller vavletrain 360 I have.

IMG_1056.jpg

Due to a few life issues at the moment I won't be putting the turbo setup on the motor right away and will be running NA for a year probably.
The cam that's currently in the 360 is worn and a couple lifters need to be replaced, so i figured since i'm elbow deep into it i might as well toss a new cam in.
Looking for good street pounding torque and off the line response, and have this cam also work decent when I toss the turbo on it.

Here is what I bought.

Lunati 60402LK
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60402LK/

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,400-5,700
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 220
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 226
Duration at 050 inch Lift 220 int./226 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 262
Advertised Exhaust Duration 268
Advertised Duration 262 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.475 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.494 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.475 int./0.494 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees) 112

Cleaned up and primer sealed the hood and lower valance. The car will slowly turn black as i start doing bodywork.

Cut the hood and attached the hood scoop temporarily until I do the bodywork and fiberglass it on.

IMG_1234.jpg

I'm really loving the look of it.

Hopefully have it smoking tires next week. Distributor won't advance at all so a new one is on the way.

Nope, the guy I bought it from said it was a 340, come to find out once i got it home and looked at the casting numbers its a 1978 360.
I know I should have had him check the casting numbers, but it didn't matter that much since i was after the clean body.

I bought the this Proform distributor and it came with the orange ECU.
Proform Parts 66991 - Distributor, Electronic, Magnetic Pickup, Mechanical, Vacuum Advance, Chrysler, 273, 318, 340, 360
pro-66991_w.jpg

I'm not sure whats going on with it right now. Trying to figure out if the distributor is screwed up or the issue is caused by my lack of understanding.

I moved the vacuum reference to the carb base plate. Initial timing is at 12 degrees without the vacuum line hooked up. With the line hooked up its at 26 degrees at idle.

Tried to do a burn out with it and it would stumble and fall on its face.
Noticed that my fuel pressure was around 1 psi so i took the pickup/ sending unit out and found out it was junk. Half rotted filter less mass of corrosion.
Replaced it and got 5 psi at idle. I'm now able to get some decent throttle response off the line and it doesn't fall on its face.

Still have more tuning to do on the carb.

Well I had a lot of fun yesterday. I either forgot or the fuel tank lock ring seal fell into the tank. Of course i didn't notice it until after I filled the tank at the gas station and created a fuel water fall from the tank...

Good times. $4 seal cost me $36 in fuel.
I drove it the few blocks home and now won't worry about spraying the weeds in the driveway. :-D

-
Back