70 dart turn signal cam question, what the heck?

-

yeager

Reaction score
Ive looked for a thread, cant seem to get the answer.
QUESTION: I have ordered a replacement turn signal switch for my 70 dart. Everything works electronically, however the "cam" for the turn signal cancel has a wider mouth than my factory unit. All of ther replacement switches seem to come with the larger yellow cam, not my smaller white one. perhaps I have the wrong application. I do NOT really want to tinker with switching the cam if i don't have to.. Am i not ordering the correct replacement??

Thanks ...kevin

'70 turn signal switches are one-year-only, and they're not available as aftermarket parts. The '71-up switch works in a '70 car, but has a differently-shaped hazard flasher knob. If you're talking about a smaller cam on your old switch, that sounds more like a '69-down switch. Oldkimmer's got the right idea: please post pics.

Maybe before that, though: is this "Hey, that part is shaped differently!"? Or is it "Hey, the turn signals don't self-cancel with this switch installed because that part is shaped differently!"?

Here are the photos.
Photo 1.. the switch I removed from my 70 dart.
Photo 2 The NEW switch for a 70 dart. ( i ordered another thinking an error was made, they BOTH have the yellow cam)
Photo 3 The OEM cam laid over the NEW yellow cam.. the difference in the mouth opening is about 1/4" ( enough for the cancel tab to not catch)

20240415_173654_resized.jpg

20240415_173705_resized.jpg

20240415_173733_resized.jpg

Find an NOS for sale and only do it once more! They're out there... usually around $325US

-
Back