'70 Duster headrest/seat hinge

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
I should put/start this in a restoration thread but it's just a few pics to share.

View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 025.jpg
Here is brand new reproduction seat hinge covers. SEM prep spray and Herb's interior paint
Important to take a razor blade, carefully, and remove the mold flash around the edges for a nice professional look.
View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 034.jpg
In all their B7 glory!
View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 038.jpg

View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 039.jpg
2 pics of the original drivers side headrest to show how it darkened mostly on the side the sun hits. It is in good solid condition and worthy of new color and chrome strip.

View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 042.jpg
half time!
View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 046.jpg

View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 053.jpg
finished headrest!

Hinge covers and the headrest look great! I used Herb's paint on my black headrest and interior plastic. I've been very happy with the finished pieces. I topcoated my parts with SEM semi-gloss clear for additional protection.

Hinge covers and the headrest look great! I used Herb's paint on my black headrest and interior plastic. I've been very happy with the finished pieces. I topcoated my parts with SEM semi-gloss clear for additional protection.

Thankyou! How long did you wait before clear coating?
Had good weather, thankfully, low 80's. This paint dries fast too.

I top coated the next day. I couldn't find any directions on either product.

This headrest had a foam separation problem near one of the posts (right post in pic). I used a heat gun to help massage/stretch the vinyl back to it's original shape....hoping that the chrome strip would make a nice straight run in that area instead of the S-curve which developed over the last 40 plus years. You can see the difference between the first pic and second where the chrome strip valley is starting to straighten.

I was almost about to give up on it but I had an idea. I sprayed a liberal amount of interior adhesive spray in the area where the foam was separated. I then used a paint stir stick as a splint and taped the area very tight with tape. I actually removed it tonight and found the area to be nice and flat. I taped it back up and will let it sit for a day before I paint and add chrome strip.

View attachment May132014dusterheadresttest 001.jpg

View attachment May132014dusterheadresttest 002.jpg

To be continued.....

-
Back