70 duster project

-
That radio fits in there nicely. Nothin like good tunes in the car.

Definitely need some tunes in there. They did a nice job with it. See if I can find a blue tooth radio to fit in there. Nice set of speakers in the back also

Don’t forget the amp! A nice 100X100 even if you don’t turn it up pushing it. Always better to have the power and not use it than wished you had it. It’ll sound clearer and cleaner with more power on tap when it’s not used.

Last edited:
There was a power cable and and some rca looking cables running back there that I saved, and a nice set of infinity speakers. Didn’t go out to the shop last night. Jade wasn’t feeling good. I made her some soup and took the night off relaxed on the couch with a couple beers. Hope I don’t come down with something for the weekend

Hung out with the family this weekend, did talk to the body guy. I ordered a quarter and a rocker. The paint, and I got the 2.02 valves coming. Sounds like I can get in the machine shop this weekend. And the sandblaster said he’d be able to get me in after the first. Figured I’d better get back to work. We took the b by lower motor out, which was quite a deal. Pretty simple now. Windshield wipers and regulator. Misc stuff off the fire wall. And the windshield. Started on the rear windshield but didn’t want to press my luck or use it all up in one day. We’ll call it job security…..we’ll do it tomorrow :lol:

96A22C40-16A7-4338-AA01-293904A8D7BB.jpeg

84A38303-47CF-4BD5-944B-BC2C7EAB0896.jpeg

Popes the steering off to get the header out and found some questionable patch work in the corner of the rear glass, other then that and the blower motor went fairly well

You are digging right in :thumbsup: Nice to see another 70 Valiant Duster coming back to life. Does it have the fender tag? Looks like original color was a yellow of some sorts.

No fender tag. The fender was replaced at some time and the tag was lost for ever. From what I got out of the vin. It was a 318 automatic car out of the California plant, economy nothing special. Went through a few make overs in its day. Fenders a quarter panel floor pans and trunk pan have been replaced. 4 speed bulge welded in and converted at some point drivers door has been swapped out and some bondo work done. I’ve counted four coats of paint and a few different panel finishes added. Definitely a car of many colors. Original seems to be a light blue

No fender tag. The fender was replaced at some time and the tag was lost for ever. From what I got out of the vin. It was a 318 automatic car out of the California plant, economy nothing special. Went through a few make overs in its day. Fenders a quarter panel floor pans and trunk pan have been replaced. 4 speed bulge welded in and converted at some point drivers door has been swapped out and some bondo work done. I’ve counted four coats of paint and a few different panel finishes added. Definitely a car of many colors. Original seems to be a light blue
Bummer on the fender tag. Do the seats look original? Maybe a build sheet tucked underneath one.
My 70 was a base model too. VERY low options.

No build sheet. The interior was swapped out from blue to black. I found some of the original blue pieces in the trunk of the car, along with extra corner glass and miscellaneous boxes of parts

So haven't been doing a whole lot on the duster, my quarter panel did not show up,don't think has even shipped yet. Got the valves was excited about getting in the machine shop, that guy had to make an emergency run to Arizona this weekend. Trials and tribulations in the shop :lol: so I go5 the fish house ready to go. Ten inches of ice on some lakes already most are around seven. Looking at a storm that is suppose to come through possibly get a bunch of snow so there might b a fair amount of shop time coming up :thumbsup:

Now bodies got a quarter panel it seems, the machine shop guy just had a new grand baby, and it’s been cold and windy. Pretty flustered not getting any progress in the shop. Really want to get the duster done by spring. But enjoy the holidays and get back at it if I can. Hope everyone has a good Christmas and New Years :thumbsup:

It will come around, just take you time.
It took me 10 years to get mine together....Still not finished, just needs they vinyl top put on.

Getting back in the grove hopefully, got the 340 a Christmas present. After a lot of looking and thinking, and talking to members. I went ahead and got a new cam and springs to go with the 2.02 valves.

A48BBC9A-55EC-4F36-A900-47D76BEAFA66.png
Got the block and heads to the machine shop hoping he look at them this week. Cut the valves and bowls. Then I can do some porting and gasket matching. I. The heads, and have to take the valve guides down for the new springs. There’s no speed shops around here with flow benches, that I know about. Looking at a lot of charts those 596 heads should go, 250/165 meybe 260/ 170. And See what to do with that cylinder. The fender is shipped according to the email, haven’t heard anymore and I can’t track it yet.

Got my quarter panel last week. Finally got to the machine shop last night. Things were looking up. We started honing the number one cylinder to see how bad it was. About five thousands over the original 30 over bore. decided we should bore it to 40. Got it on the boring bar and his machine didn’t match up to the machine that originally bored it. Would have had to go with 60 over to be able to use that. Didn’t really want to max it out just yet. So I think we’re going to put some different stones in and hone it to 40 over. Sometimes I’m really glad (I know a guy) comes in handy. I know you guys really like pictures I didn’t take any. It was late and we didn’t actually accomplish much. As far as the heads go. Not a big deal to cut in the 202 valves and bowls and clean them up. But the double springs I got for the new cam won’t fit over the valve seals. So more machining, but the retainers they sent me for them aren’t going to work, they almost seem like there for a bigger valve. So I’m going to try to send them back and look for a single spring that can handl the 500 plus lift with the right retainers and some keepers for the single grove valves. It was pretty interesting when we looked up seat hight, and valve length in his books. The 2.02 valve wasn’t even listed for the 340. More trials and tribulations, but hope to get some more progress soon

I’ve had to deal with more wood and snow and ice then I wanted to this winter. Ended up working on the road for a bit but found some time to work on the duster. Got the quarter and the rocker installed. Getting ready to do a patch on the other quarter and one on the drop off.

DC587D45-D19E-432C-B6EB-69A430AD1374.jpeg

0324E80C-E54D-4F16-87C2-73B87FECD93E.jpeg

13BDE2BB-D482-4BF7-8052-471D38F50846.jpeg

551DEE89-51DE-4786-861B-BF426A76E044.jpeg

132044A5-B7E6-400B-8641-D38320653C9E.jpeg

BF1EBB91-6966-4C82-94E0-1DA74ACF1855.jpeg

5F5EDB70-F0FB-42E1-9DD6-0FFFE95F57A7.jpeg

First time really doing body work. It took a while but getting it. Thanks to a lot f info on this sight. Had to cut and weld the rocker because that didn’t fit. But do to the hassle I wasn’t going to try to get another one.Got the valve stuff figured out. Ordered pistons, went with the kb 243-40. Should be around 10 10.25 to 1. Going to get the stuff back to the machine shop this weekend.

Got the patch done on the passenger quarter. Jades going to be working on the trunk lid, looks like some one had a Chevy style spoiler on it at one time and a bad primer job.

6B3B202F-FDBD-4C49-A39A-614BA98E58A0.jpeg

0FF42E39-A9F4-4CA3-890D-70A5D0E650A5.jpeg

Got the heads back from the machine guy. He ruffed in the 2.02 valves, I’m going to do some porting and he’s going to finish up the thre angle valve job.

4CAADC37-96F0-446F-A4E8-0DB23FCCC1E5.jpegI opened up the bowls to about 89 percent, lended them in and took care of some casting marks. I laid the short turn back a little blending it to the new bowl. Took the valve guide down a little and smoothed it out. Not a professional job I still have to smooth things out and work on the exhaust some. Then gasket match and clean up the ports8733D96E-1FA8-447A-983A-DF023D803F96.jpeg

1ACF3D3D-A72B-487F-B8CF-2694E41E7E92.jpeg

We worked on the duster for a while getting it sanded out. My girlfriend and my daughter were in the shop over Father’s Day weekend and I got it sprayed around forth of July. Feels good that it’s all one color

E5FAAD33-A55B-4AA5-A2C8-7CA2F278ADA2.jpeg

3A46DB25-EE44-4409-9E4F-64EEA1A780B2.jpeg

2B0D6CD0-87C0-409E-AE95-7AC3CD8399EB.jpeg

5D7FDF62-DDD9-4182-93D5-2200CDE19CEA.jpeg

E178FF64-9D6D-42FD-9A41-518402599F7F.jpeg

6F32D08A-F428-42CD-BC97-705F2852DCEF.jpegThe lines aren’t perfect and it had a couple dings yet, couple spots to buff out meybe. But all in all turned out pretty good. I did one coat on the hood to see what it would look like but going with the black still

-
Back