70 duster with Borgeson power steering

-

Reindeer

Reaction score
Thinking of installing a Borgeson PS unit - but I have concerns about how much I have to shorten the steering column. Can somebody give me a measurement from the firewall to the center of the PS unit ( which should be straight away from the adjusting nut on the unit ) or to the end of the splined shaft on the pump. Thanks Reindeer...

I did this conversion on my 71 Cuda and nothing was cut. Just had to buy adapters to make it work. On Duster is it recommended that you cut steering column? I know its a pricey conversion but it was well worth it. No more road wander like with old box.

I think if you have manual steering and are converting to P.S. you would have to cut steering column because it is longer for the manual box.

Thinking of installing a Borgeson PS unit - but I have concerns about how much I have to shorten the steering column. Can somebody give me a measurement from the firewall to the center of the PS unit ( which should be straight away from the adjusting nut on the unit ) or to the end of the splined shaft on the pump. Thanks Reindeer...

Depends on what flex joint coupling you want to use.They have one that extends the shaft to reach the Borgeson box as it is not as tall and uses an original style flex joint. Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car
I went with this one when I did the conversation but I am now changing to the u-joint style that you have to cut the column and pin or weld the u-joint coupling to the column Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car

I think if you have manual steering and are converting to P.S. you would have to cut steering column because it is longer for the manual box.

I do know the shaft length is different from manual,power but don't know the details mine had factory P.S.

I presently have a Flaming River Manual Box - using their coupler / u joint set up. I had an issue when I installed the coupling to my steering column and ended up braking off an easy out in the roll pin hole, so I just epoxied the hole shut and that was my pin. I don't want to replace the column so my only option is to cut the column, leaving 2.5" to attach a new coupling. I was hoping to just buy a new coupling from FR but they don't offer a 11/16" U joint, they do have a 5/8" but that would mean I'd have to use an original PS unit. Steer and Gear offer a firm unit at a reasonable price, but what about clearance issues with headers - I'm using TTI, looks like there would be plenty of room.

You realize the column is collapsible? Columns shafts can be collapsed or extended to suit power or manual applications.

I'll be doing this to my Duster as soon as the government pays me back that zero-interest loan I gave them last year. Some call it a "refund", but I call it "Musclecar Incentive Funds".

If your Duster was already a power steering car, then I believe all you need is the kit from Bergman Autocraft. It has the the power steering box, coupler, and hoses.

Since you have an earlier Duster, you probably have the small sector power steering box. I believe you'll have to get the appropriate steering box for your car. I'm sure Peter (GMachineDartGT - owner of Bergman Autocraft) can point you in the right direction on that.

-
Back