70 motor won't turn over/starter

-

Wizard

Reaction score
I have a 70 Dodge D 700 dump truck with a either a 360 motor or bigger. This truck ran and started fine before I let it sit for about 2 1/2 years of ever trying to start it. All I hear now when I try to start it is a click, click noise down either by the solonoid or in engine bay some where. I tried the old cross the solonoid with screwdriver trick but it did not engage the starter with key on. Just sparks flew. I banged on everything with hammer, starter and solonoid. Any ideas or just take out the starter and go from there?
Wizard

This motor has the distributor in the front near the fan/water pump. Is it a small block or big block? It is in a dump truck D700 model 1970

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3867.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3868.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 116
I would first charge the battery, or replace it with one known good,, clean the battery connections,, and try again..

Sounds like a dead battery, or poor connection at the battery..

I would get a socket on the balancer bolt and see if it will even turn over by hand. If so, clean and check all electrical connections.

That's probably a 413. I agree with BadSport. Get a wrench on the front crank bolt and see if the engine is seized. Make sure it's in neutral. Pull the plugs. You might have a cylinder full of coolant.

Check for seized engine.

Make sure battery is fully charged. (clicking indicates not enough power or a bad connection usually).

Then clean up all battery connections with a wire brush and reassemble.

The engine. Definately a big block. A shot of the block on the drivers side front showing the front of the head and intake may help. Also a couple of pics of each valve cover just for kicks.

Did they still make 413's in 1970? I thought those were stopped in the mid 60's, but I'm no expert in that era or with big trucks. The only big blocks in cars that year was 383 & 440 (with different flavors of carbs). To know for sure, you would have to crawl under and get pictures of casting numbers on the block.

The battery is in excellent condition. I use it every weekend to start my other truck. It's not weak at all. All the other accesories worked the day I tried starting it like lights, windshield wipers, heater.

Yes, it is the 361 motor. It has a 2 barrel on it.

-
Back