'70 V8 Dodge Dart..I need a high quality set of Shock Absorbers. Which ones do I use?

-

schultec14

Reaction score
I have a 1970 V8 Dodge Dart Swinger. I need a high quality set of shocks for this car as I drive it every day. I want to get the nicest ride quality possible...
Thank you, and please advise!
-ANTHONY

Right now I have the old worn stock air shocks on it, and should I switch to something like kyb gas shocks??
Please advise!
-ANTHONY

You can now get Bilstein RCD shocks for A-bodies from a couple sources. They seem to be the best "touring" shock out there for A-bodies so I'm going with a set of 4 for my Duster. Not too expensive either, about $100 per shock depending on where you buy it.

Ok, thank you all! And HARRYHOOD, what exact rims does the scamp have? They look pretty cool.

Qa1 you can buy single adjustable or double adjustable. We run the single adjustable on a 4200 lb touring Jensen Interceptor along with approx 800 lb front springs and 700 lb rear springs. Dial the amount of control which you desire. When taking the old folks for a ride we run them in the 4 rear 8 front range, when burning up the curves we run 6 and 8-9. 10 is practically hydro lock.. Had brand new kybs prior on that vehicle, they were sad compared to the qa1(s). I have heard many people mention and recommend the kybs, I think they are like slightly more expensive heavy duty autozone shock. I have never used the edelbrocks or the RCDs but after dumping a load on kybs only to have control characteristics similar to that of the new set of HD autozones we had on previously, I just said screw it and stepped it up a couple notches.. I would speculate that the only down fall to qa1(s) is that they perform like a shock in that price range would, meaning the adjuster may not be totally accurate if you put it on a shock machine and did a side by side test of a hand full of them. I also have a set on the front of my 2000 F-150 (2wd) and it is like night and day from any HD shock I had on there previously, I run those on 8 and i can jump any whoop in the road at any speed and have one shock cycle before dampening is finalized..

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Plenty of shock theory and guidance here.. If you want to get down to the facts about shocks, this fellow built race shocks for a number of years. Its unbelievable what goes into shock absorption..

Edelbrock IAS and day if you have the $$s over the KYs been there done that!

You can spend even more on others but for the $$ I think you will be happy:)

I don't think chinese made twin tube alum shocks like QA1 is a step "UP"..The Bilsteins, although NOT valved for anything other than stock T bars, is a good choice, as they are Mono Tube, and steel bodied - hence long life. E brocks have a good rep, but are too long to fit A bodies perfectly. Front shocks need a compressed height of 9". The E brocks at 10.12" compressed can't work in a Dart unless its set up like a 4x4....

-
Back