707 Hell Cat, what does it mean?

-
The point is they aren't HOBBY cars.

Of course they're hobby cars. Everything can be a hobby car if you put time and money into it. The only difference is that the owners of new cars spend their time in the hobby of making the car fast and look nice. While we spend a good portion of our time working around the disadvantages of a 60s/70s car. Whether that be chasing down restoration parts, correcting the problems in the factory suspension, or of course making the car fast.

it will put more people into new challengers. i see tons of people on various mopar sites selling their old cars now and buying new challengers in the mopar world. .

I'm really not that sharp on the economic front, but I'm guessing that might be more a function of the economy and people NEEDING to sell what they consider a toy to have a new driver.
Just a guess on my part.
Can't afford (or find) a Hellcat, settle for something else. You may have something there.
And relevant to the value of the classic cars.

A stronger drivetrain would be a no brainer. But I haven't heard anything groundbreaking.
Just ground, and chest, pounding.

I'm really not that sharp on the economic front, but I'm guessing that might be more a function of the economy and people NEEDING to sell what they consider a toy to have a new driver.
Just a guess on my part.

and in the majority of cases from what i have seen posted it had nothing to do with needing to sell a toy for a driver..

they like the looks of the challenger, they love the performance and like comfort of it along with the mpg,warranty...etc...etc....etc.

the economic part is when they go out and look at the rust bucket they have in the garage and think how much they have to put into it to get it to perform and have the comforts of a new one. in most cases they realize they would be crazy to dump all that money and time into that rust bucket when its the same and maybe cheaper to just go buy a new one and be out enjoying it tomorrow. then you have the others that have really nice restored cars that they are afraid to take places or leave in a parking lot. sold the garage queen and bought a car they can enjoy. people have wanted a rear drive v-8 from chrylser for a long long time and they finally have it. and they are stepping up to the plate and buying them.

its funny.. i have a friend that has a classic challenger. has a 500 inch engine with a six pak and a gear vendors in it and it even has a/c. he would put 10-12 thousand miles a year on that thing. took it everywhere.. bought a good looking toxic orange challenger r/t a couple years ago. you are lucky to see that classic challenger but maybe two times a year these days... its a storage shelf in the garage anymore. when ya bust his balls about it he says the new challenger is just too much fun to drive compared to the old one.

here is his classic..
DSC08074.JPG

his new one
DSC_0100.JPG

Of course they're hobby cars. Everything can be a hobby car if you put time and money into it. The only difference is that the owners of new cars spend their time in the hobby of making the car fast and look nice. While we spend a good portion of our time working around the disadvantages of a 60s/70s car. Whether that be chasing down restoration parts, correcting the problems in the factory suspension, or of course making the car fast.

gotta agree with that

when ya bust his balls about it he says the new challenger is just too much fun to drive compared to the old one.

I'm not surprised there. I love my car, but every drive is filled with worrying that something might crap out.

i can not believe all the hate towards this challenger or any other modern car. the horsepower wars are back man. guys should be happy as hell about that. how many guys wished they could have lived though the original horsepower wars? tons, i read and hear people say it all the time. well like i said its back only with cars that would run circles around that old junk that was a rusty mess in 5 years. heres your chance to live what you only read and heard stories about... seriously how can't you be impressed with these cars? they do everything and do it well. i just can't believe how closed minded some guys in this hobby are. its nuts.

Exactly how I feel. Well said Joe.

I'm impressed all to hell. Really. These cars would be 1K HP gross back in the day. That's incredible by any standard. Just already getting sick of all the threads slobberin about um, not the car itself.

Pretty much put John Force to shame with this one!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTY-xfFD6k"]Dodge Challenger Burn Out - YouTube[/ame]

Hey, technology is moving on...I remember telling my insurance agent that my 69 340 only had 275 hp....With only one four bbl carb. He was ok with that. Now, Hey Mr insurance man/Lady, I just bought a Hellcat Challenger, it is only rated at 707 hp. with the "red" key. Will this affect my rates???? What if I just use the "black" key???
Just think people, by 2020, self driving cars will be available to the public...
I look forward to lighting up the rear wheels, hearing the carb(s), and the roar of the exhaust next to a geeky, nerdy, self driver.

Dodge has released the pricing on the Hellcat Challenger. $59,995 Now I am sure that most dealers will be jacking up the price on the car, but the actually base price on the Hellcat is way lower than most expected!

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/07/full-challenger-hellcat-pricing-info

They also released pricing on the Prowler when it first came out. It was around 30K. Ended up being twice that. I hope that price point doesn't change. That will have people flocking from Chevy and Ford.

What does this mean for the 60's thru the 70's Muscle car?
Does it make them less impressive?

I watched what, I would call a state of the art build on a Flathead Ford the other day.
After all the money & time was spent, the dyno only showed 160 HP.
they were happy with that.
So, have the early Muscle cars become the flathead ford?
Thats the best they can do & we shouldn't compare them with the modern era cars?

A Modern car with the addition of Drag Radials, running 10.80's!
Not even the 1968 HEMI Dart/Cuda would do that out of the box.
Not to mention that there was no way to drive these cars daily.

It would seem that anything built from the mid 2000's would clean the clock on the older Muscle.

Should these two generations of cars be not compared in any way?

What do you think?

It means nothing to me. It will never replace, displace, or even tarnish the shine of vintage muscle cars for me. It's track times are impressive. Maybe a little scary knowing that any meat head with deep enough pockets can drive one of the showroom floor and have a car that is too fast to be legal in NHRA.

IMO, there is no comparison other than in name. Muscle cars died in the mid 70s. Big, naturally aspirated V8 ' s shoehorned between thick metal fender wells. Analog gages and not so much as a digital clock. Long heavy doors that make an unmistakable sound when shut. Cams with big overlap and exhaust that sounds angry. Often the fastest car wasn't the fastest according to test times but belonged to the guy who could tune his best. You tinker, adjust, tune... no computer doing for you.

Dodge did a great job recapturing the past glory with the modern challenger, but can never recapture the essence of a true muscle car.

It means nothing to me. It will never replace, displace, or even tarnish the shine of vintage muscle cars for me. It's track times are impressive. Maybe a little scary knowing that any meat head with deep enough pockets can drive one of the showroom floor and have a car that is too fast to be legal in NHRA.

The car has already been certified by NHRA........:cheers:

Not with the new cars. Now, if it goes 10.0 or faster, then you are looking at adding some safety equipment.

Although others may not, I agree with your assessment. Kitty and I were in town today. We saw a new Challenger R/T getting ready to pull out of a parking place. We pulled in a couple of spaces down. It was a girl and she was getting on her phone so she was still in the car. She busted it off and we heard. Nothing. She pulled out and we heard. Nothing. She drove by and all we could hear were the tires on the asphalt, even when the back of the car went past. No exhaust note at all. Pitiful. We would have heard and felt a 70 R/T crank up and drive by. The new cars may well be faster and more efficient, but they are missing a lot IMO to be called a muscle car.

IMO, there is no comparison other than in name. Muscle cars died in the mid 70s. Big, naturally aspirated V8 ' s shoehorned between thick metal fender wells. Analog gages and not so much as a digital clock. Long heavy doors that make an unmistakable sound when shut. Cams with big overlap and exhaust that sounds angry. Often the fastest car wasn't the fastest according to test times but belonged to the guy who could tune his best. You tinker, adjust, tune... no computer doing for you.

Dodge did a great job recapturing the past glory with the modern challenger, but can never recapture the essence of a true muscle car.

IF i remember right. the 1968 HEMI CUDA was NOT street legal.. but WAS NHRA super stock legal. two different things. and if i remember chrysler shipped the car with a label to the point of NOT street legal. and if my brain is sill working. the title was out of Hawaii. so it didnt have to have a heater. and lots of other things that was diff from a reg car.

Well, they came with all operational lights and turn signals, so they were probably street legal. Now, I do remember there was a no warranty sticker.

Although others may not, I agree with your assessment. Kitty and I were in town today. We saw a new Challenger R/T getting ready to pull out of a parking place. We pulled in a couple of spaces down. It was a girl and she was getting on her phone so she was still in the car. She busted it off and we heard. Nothing. She pulled out and we heard. Nothing. She drove by and all we could hear were the tires on the asphalt, even when the back of the car went past. No exhaust note at all. Pitiful. We would have heard and felt a 70 R/T crank up and drive by. The new cars may well be faster and more efficient, but they are missing a lot IMO to be called a muscle car.

I dont know. I think you have selective memory. Stock mufflers on 70 Hemi cudas sound like crap to me. Not really loud and a horrible tone. Now stick a set of thrush mufflers on it and now your talking. Same with the new stuff. Put a cat back on it and they sound a lot better.

Maybe a little scary knowing that any meat head with deep enough pockets can drive one of the showroom floor and have a car that is too fast to be legal in NHRA.

Read the rule book. I posted the rule and link to the rule numerous time on this board. If the car is as delivered you don't need a bar at that et.

I didn't say they sounded GOOD, Joe. I just said you could actually HEAR the old cars.

-
Back