70's Drag Racing Video

-

homecloned

Can't re Member
Reaction score
I found these video's and wanted to share. Alot of cool stuff here. This is my earliest memories of the drag strip(Maple Grove in PA)when I was young.
Cool wheel standers at 2:45 in and another good Mopar matchup at 6:38. This is when the car's, especially in Pro Stock, looked liked real car's not generic like today's.
I love the bleach burnout's, those were awsome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11JH5vj3gI

Here's one with Dandy Dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlloUbyaKzg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMgSv1nLCk&feature=related

Sorry if these have been posted already.

GREAT VIDEO'S!! I like the part at the end of the 3rd video where they show Dick Landy slammin' through the gears, and the Ronny Sox stuff too. Looks like Gene Snow could drive like a mad man.

These videos serve as a reminder of how great professional drag racing was back in the '70s. It was truly the golden era of the sport. The videos also help illustrate how much the NHRA sucks today. Unfortunately, drag racing has become too much like NASCAR -- it's all about corporate money, product endorsements, sanitized racing, etc. It's a total snooze-fest.

I kind of feel sorry for car enthusiasts who are too young to remember the days of the Snake, the Mongoose, the Ace, and the other greats.

GREAT VIDEO'S!! I like the part at the end of the 3rd video where they show Dick Landy slammin' through the gears, and the Ronny Sox stuff too. Looks like Gene Snow could drive like a mad man.

With the stogie in his mouth. :-D I like how quick he whip's it into the staging area. :burnout:

These videos serve as a reminder of how great professional drag racing was back in the '70s. It was truly the golden era of the sport. The videos also help illustrate how much the NHRA sucks today. Unfortunately, drag racing has become too much like NASCAR -- it's all about corporate money, product endorsements, sanitized racing, etc. It's a total snooze-fest.

I kind of feel sorry for car enthusiasts who are too young to remember the days of the Snake, the Mongoose, the Ace, and the other greats.

Man that is so true.

Cool vids. That truly was the golden era of drag racing.

No doubt Burnt. As I was watching the videos I could almost smell the action through the memories.:-D

Ya know, It's been many years since I've been to the races (the last time I went to Pomona... Connie Kaleta was the fastest at just above 3 sec. and Bob Glidden was the Pro Stock heavy weight). I don't like the ugly "they all look alike" bodies that NHRA does , the old bodies that actuall looked like a Ford, Gm, Mopar, were bitchin. I love to see all of the door slammers that run (mopar, vega) all the cool stuff. But sadly, now if you want a seat near the grandstand you have to fork over your first born. I only watch the races on cable now. Alot of young kids are into tuner cars.... I hate those tin cans. AMERICAN V-8 MUSCLE IS WHAT I BLEED!!

Thank you for the great old days homecloned :happy10:
I remember watching a GTO spin the centers out of some wheels after coming out of the bleach box in Ill., Thank you for a great trip back in time :cheers:

So glad you brought this great thread back up homecloned gave us bayyum
I sue enjoyed it again

Ya know, It's been many years since I've been to the races (the last time I went to Pomona... Connie Kaleta was the fastest at just above 3 sec. and Bob Glidden was the Pro Stock heavy weight). I don't like the ugly "they all look alike" bodies that NHRA does , the old bodies that actuall looked like a Ford, Gm, Mopar, were bitchin. I love to see all of the door slammers that run (mopar, vega) all the cool stuff. But sadly, now if you want a seat near the grandstand you have to fork over your first born. I only watch the races on cable now. Alot of young kids are into tuner cars.... I hate those tin cans. AMERICAN V-8 MUSCLE IS WHAT I BLEED!!

Man I agree with both you guys so much!
I lived vlose to irwindale speedway and went to the Pomona tack many times, i even ran amature runs at the Ontario 500 motor super speedway too.

It was more about know how, working ands tuning what you have.. had and not big huge bucks, modern strockers, computers and all that crap.

it was real nitty gritty drag racing with guys that could get a lot out of what they had and also I would note it seemed to me that the Mopar folks were so dominate back then and that most all drivers of Fords, Cheys, Pontiac etc were much more honest etc if you know what i mean.

Now the sport is more about manipulation, too many rules and other BS etc... Men were more men back then and the girls were just as hot and some like Shirley would kick your butt :)

PS thanks for the memories!

Great videos! Glory Days 1 has some badass Dick Landy 4 speed hemi powershifting! Now I gotta spend all day tommorrow watching the rest of these, damn, LOL.

Thanks guys! I had forgotten about this thread. Just got back from Gainesville and will post some action shots.:thumblef:

-
Back