71 340 hard start

-

Tad

Reaction score
I’m running a 71 340 in my 65 dart. I have a Chrysler electronica ignition and new distributor, new ballast resistor. When I try to start it for the first time I have to crank it probably 4 to 8 times before it finally fires and then another two times before it’ll actually start. I’ve tried adjusting my timing and also tried going back to the mechanical points. It has a four barrel thermal quad intake on it however I’m currently running and Edelbrock carb. Could that be the issue? It’s a 2 to 1 exhaust and I am running 273 exhaust manifolds. Wondered if maybe the air intake and exhaust could be a problem also? I do t know much about the cam.

your choking that 340 with that exhaust system !!!!!!!!!!!!

it's gotta breath

Is the engine in good condtion?

Does the starter spin the engine as expected?
Have you checked cranking spark?
Timing?
and then there's vapor lock/ fuel boilover in the carb.............

Maybe but nothing at all to do with how it starts
air /fuel ratio ??

put a timing light on it and see if you have a steady spark//if not check your ecu ground//might have a few "skips"

is this a fresh build ??

those 273 exhaust manifolds are 2/3 of what that 340 should have

Last edited:
Is the engine in good condtion?

Does the starter spin the engine as expected?
Have you checked cranking spark?
Timing?
and then there's vapor lock/ fuel boilover in the carb.............
I don’t know much of the history of the engine but it runs really well. Super balanced when it’s running and very smooth.

air /fuel ratio ??

put a timing light on it and see if you have a steady spark//if not check your ecu ground//might have a few "skips"

is this a fresh build ??

those 273 exhaust manifolds are 2/3 of what that 340 should have

Not a fresh build. I did have it broken down to a short block and then put new gaskets on everything and built it back up. Any suggestion on a good aftermarket exhaust manifold? It’s going into a 65 dart so there’s not a whole lot of room.

340's like a lot of initial timing and they also like a working choke ,preferably a manual one

340's like a lot of initial timing and they also like a working choke ,preferably a manual one
I’ve played around with The timing quite a bit. If I set it around 12 to 15 before TDC and I have the vacuum advance hooked up it seems to cause it to stutter quite a bit when I’m getting on the gas. If I back it up to about 8° before top dead center then it seems to be a lot smoother as I increase the RPMs. It still has a bit of a stutter/hesitation starting from complete stop.

sounds stupid BUT are the plug wires // firing order right // dizzy phased correctly ??

If you can smell fuel that quickly, makes me wonder if the choke isn't adjusted incorrectly? Have you checked that it is adjusted properly?

Once the engine is warmed up does it restart easily?

My 67 273 with 2bbl, if it sits for a week will take a get attempts to start. But for the rest of the day no problem.

Could be normal carb action. I think we have all become used to efi instant start

My 67 273 with 2bbl, if it sits for a week will take a get attempts to start. But for the rest of the day no problem.

Could be normal carb action. I think we have all become used to efi instant start

AND crap gas that is designed to evaporate at lower temps

Also check the ballast resistor that you have 12 volts when you're cranking it. You may need 2 people to check this. If you have a voltmeter, connect input of ballast to red lead and ground black lead and see if you have 12 volts when cranking, when you let go of key in run position should be about 6-8 volts.

How long is it sitting when it is hard to start? Day ,week, months? My Dart sits sometimes 3 months between start ups. The carb is empty and it takes cranking for a while before it starts. If I fill the fuel bowls thru the vents before I start it up,it will bust right off.

How long is it sitting when it is hard to start? Day ,week, months? My Dart sits sometimes 3 months between start ups. The carb is empty and it takes cranking for a while before it starts. If I fill the fuel bowls thru the vents before I start it up,it will bust right off.
Usually only a few days. Once it is started and runs a while it usually starts back up pretty easily.

It will usually start up pretty easily once warmed up and ran for a bit.

Does the choke work on your carb? I have a 600 Edelbrock with a electric choke that I have set up pretty well. If I drive it regularly or it only sits a couple days, one pump on the gas pedal sets the choke and it fires right up and high idles well.

Does the choke work on your carb? I have a 600 Edelbrock with a electric choke that I have set up pretty well. If I drive it regularly or it only sits a couple days, one pump on the gas pedal sets the choke and it fires right up and high idles well.
I bet it needs to be set. It’s an electric choke.

-
Back