71 cuda with a slant 6

-

xempirex

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen one? I went to Texas Frightmare Weekend and one of the cars on display was a 71 Cuda with a factory ordered slant 6. He made into a replica from the movie Phantasm. I talked to the owner who said it was the one thing he wasn't changing since it's original. He also had a plaque where it was featured in mopar muscle. I'll try to post pics later. It was very well maintained.

A rare combo. I have seen this a few times @ Cralie Pa. along with Challengers and Chargers with the lil'mighty /6 in them.

Anyone ever seen one? I went to Texas Frightmare Weekend and one of the cars on display was a 71 Cuda with a factory ordered slant 6. He made into a replica from the movie Phantasm. I talked to the owner who said it was the one thing he wasn't changing since it's original. He also had a plaque where it was featured in mopar muscle. I'll try to post pics later. It was very well maintained.

Seen a Barracuda with slant 6, Challenger and buddy had a 69 Charger

Have not seen it but a guy I know has a friend with a 71 Barracuda convertible slant 6 car. He was offered $30K for it a few years back. Sure someone wanted to make a hemi cuda clone

I owned one back in 1989-91. It was originally Bronze with black interior and black top. 198 cu in with 3 spd on floor and 8 3 /4 rear. It was Plum crazy with a rallye hood, wheels and go wing when I got it.
To say it was gutless was an understatement. I ended up putting a 440+6 ,4spd and 3.91s in it. I saw a 69 Charger once in a wrecking yard with a /6 and 3 on the tree. THAT was bizarre.

What you saw was a Barracuda-not a 'Cuda. I have seen a 70 SE Challenger with sunroof and the slant 6 in dark brown.

I have owned 2 1970 challengers and a 1970 barracuda that were powere by the might 225. I am currently trying to buy 3 1970 plymouth barracudas that are powered by the slanty of power. I have never seen a 1971 barracuda with it except in a recent magazine article.

I have pics somewhere of a all originall 1970 challenger with an original slant six four speed in it car is a tottal rot box car like holes every where but cool original car

What you saw was a Barracuda-not a 'Cuda. I have seen a 70 SE Challenger with sunroof and the slant 6 in dark brown.

Haha. I was once lectured by a salesman "Don't ever call it a "Cuda." Insurance man hears that and................." So I point to the rear panel and asked "What does that say, right there, that?"

Back in the mid 70's my dad drove a 70 convertible challenger with a 318 3 speed auto. Nothing to jump up and down engine wise, but a girl in the neighbor hood had a hardtop 70 challenger convertible, plum crazy like dads, and it had a 225 and 3 speed auto... I would die to have one of those...

Haha. I was once lectured by a salesman "Don't ever call it a "Cuda." Insurance man hears that and................." So I point to the rear panel and asked "What does that say, right there, that?"
'Cuda (340/383/426/440) was the same as the R/T Challenger-HP V8 only. The sixes and 318's were in the standard Barracuda series only (no "cuda" on the rear panel). And you could only get a 340 in the standard Challenger only-not in the R/T series for some strange reason in 1970.

'Cuda (340/383/426/440) was the same as the R/T Challenger-HP V8 only. The sixes and 318's were in the standard Barracuda series only (no "cuda" on the rear panel). And you could only get a 340 in the standard Challenger only-not in the R/T series for some strange reason in 1970.

Didnt the Challenger T/As get the 340??

I owned one back in 1989-91. It was originally Bronze with black interior and black top. 198 cu in with 3 spd on floor and 8 3 /4 rear. It was Plum crazy with a rallye hood, wheels and go wing when I got it.
To say it was gutless was an understatement. I ended up putting a 440+6 ,4spd and 3.91s in it. I saw a 69 Charger once in a wrecking yard with a /6 and 3 on the tree. THAT was bizarre.

I still kick myself in the ***.When I was 16,I had a chance to buy a 68 Charger,but when I lifted the hood,it was a slant 6,and turned it down,I feel very stupid to this day :angry7:

When I graduated from High School I bought a '70 Challenger convertible B-5 blue the only option it had was power top! A girl that that went to USF orderd it, I was second owner it had S-6 manual 3-speed. I drove it for a while as it was. Then did like any teenager in the 80's did transplanted a big block with a 4-speed and 8 3/4 w/ 3.91's
should have left it original! Sometimes 18 yearolds know it all!

there was a bronze colored cuda that ran around town years ago with a slant 6 . it was either a 70 or 71.

-
Back