71 Dart Headlight Switch Removal

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Hey guys, I could use some help. I am disassembling a donor dash to use in my project. I cannot get the shaft on the headlight switch to move in and out. It rotates, but doesn't extend, so I can't remove it. I know about the button requiring depression to remove the shaft. If I need to cut off the knob, I will, but I'm hoping to avoid that. Any suggestions? TIA. L8r

Jim

Disconnect battery!!!!

Pull the light switch all the way out FIRST. Then push the button

If I read your problem correctly, the knob and shaft won't pull out to the "headlights on" position? If that's so, the switch is probably junk. I'd start by trying to pull a bit harder and soak the switch as much as you can with a penetrating oil of your choice. If that fails, figure on getting a new switch, correct knob/shaft, and cutting off the existing shaft to get to the nut.

If I read your problem correctly, the knob and shaft won't pull out to the "headlights on" position? If that's so, the switch is probably junk. I'd start by trying to pull a bit harder and soak the switch as much as you can with a penetrating oil of your choice. If that fails, figure on getting a new switch, correct knob/shaft, and cutting off the existing shaft to get to the nut.

Cudamark, your assumption was correct. I am sure the switch is toast, but want to reduce the prospect of additional damage to a pristine dash in the removal process. Thanks for your help!

Did you find a solution?

Wally-T, yes I did. I had tried what CudaMark also suggested, but I had given up on that method too soon. The switch shaft had seized to the guts of the switch. After repeated applications of PB Blaster, it finally gave up the ghost and came out. L8r

Jim

-
Back