71 Dart...local search continues

-

Kllrbee

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Found a 71 Swinger about 4 hours from me. Car came from TX (tx title). Body and underside look great from pics. Guy says paint is a 10 footer. 318, 904 believed to be original. Odometer says 41500...could be 141500. 904 rebuilt once, no paperwork on the 318. 8 3/4 rear, front disc, interior recently redone.
Depending on how it runs/drives...was thinking of offering around 8500. Plz give me your advice. Keep in mind, Im in the rust belt, so rust free cars are not abundant. Heres some pics and a link to the tag decoder.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - 1969-1974 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder

20180710_093027.jpg

20180710_082503.jpg

20180710_082547.jpg

Also...yeah...black engine compartment. Chevy guys Im guessing...lol

AC belts not hooked up, makes me wonder how the belts are run, and what else is bypassed

Yeah, he told me is wasnt hooked up or working. Id take it off anyways.
Im not averse to a rebuild over the winter, if it needs it, but Id like the price to reflect that.

Took the trip to look at it yesterday.
10 footer paint job. Various scuffs and scratches. Should be able to buff out. Quarter size bubbling at the quarter/roof seam on both sides. Had vinyl top originally. Mouldings/trim/grill are fair. Bumpers good. Glass good. No dents and from what I can tell no rust. Or very minimal. Underside is very nice.
Interior seats and headliner are very good. Dash is ok. Silly aftermarket steering wheel.
Runs ok. 318 seems like its getting a lil tired. Not sure any work has been done to it. Looks to be all original. No smoke or leaks though.
Shifts good. 904 rebuilt to stock specs 4 years ago with paperwork.
Stops good, handles ok. Suspension will need work sooner than later. No biggie there.
The story is this guy is sort of a dealer. Has around 15 classics. He buys cars, does a little work and then resells them. He bought the car off Ebay last year for 7500 BIN. Showed me the paperwork. All he did was new tires/wheels and the hood scoops plus 800 to ship. So hes into it about 9300. I offered 8k even. He seemed ok with it, but said hed have to think about it. Its his only Mopar so hes not in a hurry to sell.
Thats where we left it.

Lol...long story...jeez.

Also, he said a friend of his told him that "High" class Darts before 73 came with 8 3/4 and front discs. Is that true?
I thought that they must have been swapped in at some point, but if they are original, thats even better.

Anybody else have any thoughts about this car?
As stated, I offered 8k. But with the bubbling at the sail panels, Im thinking maybe that was even too much.

Those "quarter sized" rust bubbles under the paint will end up being much bigger than you think, I would bet the body isn't that great under that new crap paint job. Underhood looks extremely amateur hacked also....I think you can find a better deal elsewhere

I agree. I was on the fence anyways, but after researching what it entails to fix that, its not worth it.

-
Back