71 Dart Main Wire Harness Routing

-

71Dartman440

Kansas440
Reaction score
Let's see if I can ask this so it makes sense
1343795-scratchchin.gif

Does the main wire harness pass aft (towards rear of car) or forward (towards front of car) of the steering column mounting brace.

If it's aft of the bracket it appears the harnesses whole right side (from steering column to passenger door) would have to be carefully fed through this area.

Or if it's forward of the bracket it appears to bypass this area fairly easily but the steering column mounting brace has some fairly sharp edges to it that could wear on the harness over time.

In picture you can see I've routed the main harness forward of the bracket...thoughts?

Thanks
wave.gif

100_8518.jpg

Thank you! Better to fix it now while interior is still out and sorting out installations.

It routes above the cluster opening in the bend of the metal dash. You should see factory bendable tabs above the cluster opening.

Hmmm (Top or under)...Once back out, I'll look for the bundle tabs...did not notice any up top, just along the bottom of the dash. Also not sure there's enough bundle there to go above but will certainly scope it out. Thanks all input is welcome!

Hmmm (Top or under)...Once back out, I'll look for the bundle tabs...did not notice any up top, just along the bottom of the dash. Also not sure there's enough bundle there to go above but will certainly scope it out. Thanks all input is welcome!

I've done both 72 and 73 A-bodies. On both of those the main bundle runs above the cluster.

Will let you know how it turns out...should get back to it again this weekend.
:rock:

Just re-routed... did not see tabs above cluster, nor would harness been long enough. Routed above steering column, under cluster, forward of steering column brace (close to curvature of the metal dash). All seemed to flow nicely and into the tabs. Either way, better than where it was at (no chafing on sharp edges). Perhaps 72-73, the engineers re-routed the harness above.

Thanks for the help. :thumbrig:

Just re-routed... did not see tabs above cluster, nor would harness been long enough. Routed above steering column, under cluster, forward of steering column brace (close to curvature of the metal dash). All seemed to flow nicely and into the tabs. Either way, better than where it was at (no chafing on sharp edges). Perhaps 72-73, the engineers re-routed the harness above.

Thanks for the help. :thumbrig:

Very possible 71 is different because the change in gauge cluster in 72. Good to hear you got in.

just removed the wiring harness from a 71 Dart....

just removed the wiring harness from a 71 Dart....

When you removed it, did you notice in this same area we are discussing (steering column) a small white plastic rectagular shaped bar wrapped in the bundle? What was that bar attached or clipped to?

-
Back