'71 Demon Pro Street/Touring

-
All my lines for brakes and fuel are stainless. Not sure if that means plated, or 100%. Don't bend super easy, but already prebent and fingers crossed they are very close to where I need them to go.
I like the insert now that its in, and for what it is, which is a real easy time saver. You can use the switches on the panel with no worries of it flexing about.
Its to bad those Rocky Mountain (I think thats the name) inserts are no longer available, they look great.

Funny you should say that. Check the classifieds for interior parts for sale. A member here owns the rights and will be remaking them. But the gauge insert alone is supposed to be $275. I can get the one you have loaded with autometer gauges and turn signal lights for $600. Hardly makes the other one worth it to me.

Just my $0.02

Some updates. Headliner in, never doing that again, PITA. These pics don't show it but wiring is almost finished. Steering column in to test fit with fabbed firewall bracket, works good. Dash pad can go on soon and so can front and rear glass.
Still waiting on machine shop for my block/rotating assembly. And for my Indy heads/Intake to arrive.

img0576w.jpg

img0501q.jpg

img0573thn.jpg

img0503wf.jpg

img0507yp.jpg

img0549zn.jpg

img0545cw.jpg

img0575q.jpg

Since I posted last I've got most of the Interior in, a couple more things to wire up under the dash then the drivers seat and Dash pad can go in. Then I will be moving on to brake lines and fuel line.
I did get my motor and rotating assembly back from the machine shop and I've had stuff in and out checking clearances but now everything is back at the machine shop for clearances to be double checked with proper tools as apposed to my crappy plasti-gauge.
They are also going thru my heads I received from another member here cause I no longer trust the work to be done properly. Money and time well wasted. No longer will I be looking for a "good deal" on parts, ever again.
Front and rear glass is in,,,wish I bought new glass now, oh well. And my stainless trim looks crappy too. Wish someone would re pop that stuff.
And the last pic is of my new tags.
motorpsb.jpg

motor1n.jpg

motor3y.jpg

motor2x.jpg

seatl.jpg

dashhj.jpg

shifterc.jpg

dash1k.jpg

seat4.jpg

seat3d.jpg

benchs.jpg

glassxr.jpg

glass1a.jpg

platei.jpg

And thanks to you other gents,,,I'm getting revved to get it out on the road. Hopefully by late June, maybe sooner if the rigs shut down for a while during the spring thaw.

I forgot to mention the reason I call this a pro-street/touring build is because for now all I can afford is the Welds/MTs combo I have for the car so far. I will keep these later for track days. My plan is for 20x12s on rear and 18x9s up front, not sure on rims yet but rubber will be 335-345 wide in rear and fronts 265.
Of course if the mood strikes to have a drag look on the street I can always swap anytime.
I also did not narrow the rear end, for yet another option of running large bolt pattern Rallyes if I want to go for a very stock look.
Heres a couple pics of the rubber rim combo I have so far, rears are 29x12.5 and front are 26x4.5 Sportsman Pros. Welds are S71 10.25x15 rears and 4x15 fronts:

img00094201104071622.jpg

img00095201104071623.jpg

I'm also contemplating a plan for street/touring wheel/tire changover capability. I've been unable to find 17" or over rims with a low backspace that I would like, say 3.5 to 4 inches to allow swapping to a similar 15" rim. Of course the diff needs narrowing and a mini-tub for this to fit tucked under (no jacked rear and tires sticking out for me!).

Seems one has to run a high offset rim like 6" or so to make this work unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Sad as I like the deep look of low backspace on the rear.

What's the offset on your Weld rears?

I'm also contemplating a plan for street/touring wheel/tire changover capability. I've been unable to find 17" or over rims with a low backspace that I would like, say 3.5 to 4 inches to allow swapping to a similar 15" rim. Of course the diff needs narrowing and a mini-tub for this to fit tucked under (no jacked rear and tires sticking out for me!).

Seems one has to run a high offset rim like 6" or so to make this work unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Sad as I like the deep look of low backspace on the rear.

What's the offset on your Weld rears?

The wheels in that pic are 6.5" of back spacing but now I'm running 7.5" of backspacing on these 10.25" wide weld rims. Which is also 60mm of positive offset. My rear axle is stock width so I needed a big offest to tuck the tires. I will be looking to run 18" wheels front and rear next summer, with a 335 or 345wide rear on a 12" wide rim. These should tuck slightly as well. I plan to have my car riding as low as my exhaust will comfortably allow.
I also prefer the look of the deep dish rear wheels, but narrowed axles are needed. I also wanted to keep the option of bolting up rallye wheels if I felt like a more stockerish look.
Maybe I will rethink everything when I build up a Dana 60 at some point. Things that make you go hmmmmmm. :toothy8:

Did a little more looking. There's actually lots of 17 and up rims that can be ordered with custom backspacing. The key point is they are custom and so is the price :shock:

I have a set of old 15" slots with about 3.5" backspace. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy customs so I can swap back and forth with the old slots set up with track tires.

The torque thrust customs are one of the better deals especially since I think one could order their non-custom version for up front and still match.

http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchResult.aspx?Keywords=VN405795

http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchResult.aspx?Keywords=17x7+2.1&All=True

Still have to narrow down what backspace works up front without spacers.

I've been leaning towards a couple different Billet Specialties rims in 18", but you're right that they do come with a very "special" price of about $700 for each rear wheel :shock:. But they do offer custom backspacing. I will be able to figure out fronts later after the drivetrain is in and everything has had a chance to settle. I know for now I have lots of clearance with my pizza cutters up front. Tires will be BFG g-force T/A KDW 2.

Haven't done alot on the car in the last couple months, took a break from it. Spent a bunch of time in last month building the practically stock "340" :D Pretty much ready to mate up to the trans and drop them in, maybe tomorrow.
I have most of my brakes plumbed and got my fuel lines plumbed, still a small mountain of stuff to do but its getting there. Really hoping to get it finished in next month or so.

motor1j.jpg

motorgb.jpg

motor2i.jpg

Looks great dude, whats done the "stock 340"??

340 has a 4" stroke and .030" over, AKA a 416". I'm running MRL Performance main caps and Hughes girdle. The crank in an Eagle forged, as well as their H-beam rods. Pistons are Mahle flat top w/ valve reliefs, I'll be at about 11.5:1 compression with 65cc heads. Did the oiling mods that are stickied at top of the "SmallBlock" forum. Bushed the lifter bores and running Hughes lifters for solid roller. Cam is a Lunati Voodoo with .643" lift in/ex with 1.6 rockers, duration 260 @ .050. Heads and Intake are Indy, ported with gasket match. Running the 360-2 heads with 2.10" Intake/1.65" Exhaust valves. Pushrods are Comp Cams 3/8". Rockers are T&D full needle bearing. I will be running a Mighty Demon 850 Carb, and exhaust is coming out 1 7/8" TTI headers and exhaust.
Hopefully a good combo, I've seen similar on here making 550(or more) HP/TQ.

Thanks for looking, cheers.

340 has a 4" stroke and .030" over, AKA a 416". I'm running MRL Performance main caps and Hughes girdle. The crank in an Eagle forged, as well as their H-beam rods. Pistons are Mahle flat top w/ valve reliefs, I'll be at about 11.5:1 compression with 65cc heads. Did the oiling mods that are stickied at top of the "SmallBlock" forum. Bushed the lifter bores and running Hughes lifters for solid roller. Cam is a Lunati Voodoo with .643" lift in/ex with 1.6 rockers, duration 260 @ .050. Heads and Intake are Indy, ported with gasket match. Running the 360-2 heads with 2.10" Intake/1.65" Exhaust valves. Pushrods are Comp Cams 3/8". Rockers are T&D full needle bearing. I will be running a Mighty Demon 850 Carb, and exhaust is coming out 1 7/8" TTI headers and exhaust.

Yea, that sound alot like the "stock" 340 I plan on building once I get some paint thrown on the shell. I already have the Eagle crank and Diamond Pistons...oh and a stock bore 71' block.

:prayer: I just found this build thread today. Congratulations on a steller job, you are my new inspiration and I've subsribed. If you looked in my garage you might think that your project was starting over because I have much of the same stuff. Mine started out a Duster but has just recently over switched to a Demon. I won't use the yellow but after looking at yours I could easily be persuaded to switch. I will be doing the RMS stuff on front and back and will have many questions for you along the way. I have a 410 Stroker that will be used with an MSD Atomic fuel injection.Thanks for the thread! It would be nice to meet this car in person some day!

That's going to be one mean ****!

:prayer: I just found this build thread today. Congratulations on a steller job, you are my new inspiration and I've subsribed. If you looked in my garage you might think that your project was starting over because I have much of the same stuff. Mine started out a Duster but has just recently over switched to a Demon. I won't use the yellow but after looking at yours I could easily be persuaded to switch. I will be doing the RMS stuff on front and back and will have many questions for you along the way. I have a 410 Stroker that will be used with an MSD Atomic fuel injection.Thanks for the thread! It would be nice to meet this car in person some day!

Thanks, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Like today I just learned if you had the rack and pinion in and loading engine/trans from the top make sure you take it back off. If you have a rear sump pan then probably not an issue.
Seeing my car in person might happen some day, I have a good friend who has being living up near Greeley for the last 10 years, he's a big car guy too but unfortunately a Corvette guy. I told him some day I would be down with the car. I use to work in that area myself and over around Rifle/Grand Junction. If it ever happens I get down south I will definately be sending a shout out to some FABO members.

And thanks for the props from you other gents as well.

T'was a busy day,,,,no helpers = no fun!

motor3e.jpg

motor4b.jpg

Only 999 more odds and ends and she'll be good to go! :D

And thanks gents for the compliments!

-
Back