71 Demon seat slides back

-

Steve Mcbean

Reaction score
Drivers seat wont stay put, slides all the way back when driving. Do rails need replacing?

Its possible the locking mechanism adjusting spring/“cable” has come apart. Have a look under the seat for a wire hanging down or sticking out.
There is a small wire coil spring to hold the end of the adjuster transfer wire (to unlock both rails).
Sometimes the small coil spring just backs its self off but is still loose on the transfer cable. (from the G”s of a Dodge).
Pinch the two ends back together and slide the small lock spring back in place.

or…. Locking mechanism simply needs a drop of oil.
The seat adjustment is similar for bench or buckets just a longer cable for bench.

Its possible the locking mechanism adjusting spring/“cable” has come apart. Have a look under the seat for a wire hanging down or sticking out.
There is a small wire coil spring to hold the end of the adjuster transfer wire (to unlock both rails).
Sometimes the small coil spring just backs its self off but is still loose on the transfer cable. (from the G”s of a Dodge).
Pinch the two ends back together and slide the small lock spring back in place.

or…. Locking mechanism simply needs a drop of oil.
The seat adjustment is similar for bench or buckets just a longer cable for bench.
Here's a pc from underneath. Looks like the foam under the seat is crumbling now.

20230502_124538.jpg

20230502_125427.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to see but the cable I circled in this photo.

If all is well with the cable then your locks are stuck in the unlock position. (Dry and wont release back to the lock position)
CCA1F23D-846E-4AFA-8BA1-D81C60D2888E.jpeg

8019AABC-5814-40D6-9734-DEBD8F5D8362.jpeg

947873E2-4EA8-490A-B95B-0110BA651313.jpeg

Wd might help if that is the problem.
To remove the seats they have studs through the floor. Four 1/2” (or 9/16” I forget) nuts you will have to remove from under the car.
Always put a stand under the front of your car when crawling under there.
Torsion bar is the only thing holding up the car.
Not likely a torsion bar will break when you are under there but it is possible just not probable.

Oh I see. Maybe some wd40 would loosen it? Are the seats hard to remove? Would rather keep them on, if so. Thanks for the info
It's only 4 nuts to remove the seat. Once you have the seat out and turned over you can see what's going on (or not) and grease it up properly. Spraying WD will probably be a temporary fix if you get it exactly where it's needed. Probably get more on everything but the seat track mechanism plus it drys up quite quickly. I believe it's a little bit of a safety issue so do it right and do it once. Good luck with it.

-
Back