71 Duster 340 Fender Tag

-

Bossfornova

Reaction score
I'm a new member on board and new to the Mopar community. I recently purchased a restored 71 Duster 340. I received docs with the car, including breakdown of tag codes, but I wanted to get expert opinion on the options listed. I also wanted to ask about options on car, which don't appear on the tag. It reads top to bottom:

R11 V24 V6X V8X EN2
L31 M21 M25 N41 N42
G15 G37 J25 J45 J81 L25
V1X U A01 A04 C16 C55
GW3 L6X9 5X8 420 (I believe is build date in 1971)

Car has power steering and power front brakes, but I don't see codes on tag. It was presented as factory equipment.

thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm a new member on board and new to the Mopar community. I recently purchased a restored 71 Duster 340. I received docs with the car, including breakdown of tag codes, but I wanted to get expert opinion on the options listed. I also wanted to ask about options on car, which don't appear on the tag. It reads top to bottom:

R11 V24 V6X V8X EN2
L31 M21 M25 N41 N42
G15 G37 J25 J45 J81 L25
V1X U A01 A04 C16 C55
GW3 L6X9 5X8 420 (I believe is build date in 1971)

Car has power steering and power front brakes, but I don't see codes on tag. It was presented as factory equipment.

thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
You'd be better off posting a picture of the tag or complete the bottom line. P/S and P/B are on the build sheet not the fender tag.

You'd be better off posting a picture of the tag or complete the bottom line. P/S and P/B are on the build sheet not the fender tag.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I had no idea, but was told equipment was factory. Not sure how they knew this, since no build sheet accompanied the sale. I'll take a pic of the tag and post on this thread, thanks again

CodeDescription
VS29V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
S = Special
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H1BH = 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
1 = 1971
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
10000Sequence Number '10000'
GW3Paint Code: Brite White
L6X9Trim Grade/Style/Color
L = Low
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X9 = Black
5X8Upper Door Frame: Unknown At This Time
420Date Built: 4 / 20 / 1971
V1XRoof Type OR Color: Full Vinyl Top - Black
UBuilt to Specifications for USA Order
A01Light Package
A04Basic (Radio) Group
C16Console w/ Buckets
C55Bucket Seats
G15Tinted Windshield Only
G37Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Chrome Mirrors
J253 Speed Variable Wipers
J45Hood Tie Down Pins
J81Rear Spoiler - Wing Type 70-2
L25Trunk Compartment Light
L31Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M25Wide Sill Molding
N41Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
R11Music Master Radio AM
V24Preformance HD Treatment w/ Engine Callout
V6XBlack Longitude Sports Stripe
V8XTransverse Stripe - Black
EN2End of Codes Assembly Line 2

Thanks very much for breaking it down for me, very cool info. The guy who sold me the car did tell me the 5X8 was "Black Upper Door Frame Color Code", when I'd asked, if that sounds right

Yes 5X8 was on the V24 cars, making the door frame organosol instead of gloss black

That car has some cool options. Would love to see a bunch of pics of it.

pics

I've noticed, based on info provided by member's here, L31 listed on tag is fender turn signals, which are no longer on car. I'm having them installed to match correct options.

26f72bbb0.jpg

26fcbce50.jpg

26d4bc0d0.jpg

71 Dustpan.jpg

26d0bc0d0.jpg

Last line of tag

E55 D32 VS29 H1B 366350

That’s an aftermarket brake booster and master cylinder. Universal GM units that most brake companies sell. Chances are the car was originally a manual brake car. I have the same car with really similar options (with manual disc brakes) but mine is GY3 Curious Yellow. Yours looks good in white!

That’s an aftermarket brake booster and master cylinder. Universal GM units that most brake companies sell. Chances are the car was originally a manual brake car. I have the same car with really similar options (with manual disc brakes) but mine is GY3 Curious Yellow. Yours looks good in white!
I had a feeling that was the case. I'd mentioned in an earlier post, tag has L31 as an option, but no longer on car. Looking to replace them. I have a question for you, does your car have the slotted bumper front and rear?

I had a feeling that was the case. I'd mentioned in an earlier post, tag has L31 as an option, but no longer on car. Looking to replace them. I have a question for you, does your car have the slotted bumper front and rear?
No, mine has smooth bumpers. So should yours. The slotted bumpers are 1972. They were for the new design bumper jack that went in the bumper rather than under it.

You may also want to check the numbers stamped on the core support close to the battery, and under the trunk seal on the drivers side about 1/2 way up from the bottom. They should match the sequence number on the VIN and fender tag.

Very Nice car
What in my statement "You may also want to check the numbers stamped on the core support close to the battery, and under the trunk seal on the drivers side about 1/2 way up from the bottom. They should match the sequence number on the VIN and fender tag."
do you disagree with?

What in my statement "You may also want to check the numbers stamped on the core support close to the battery, and under the trunk seal on the drivers side about 1/2 way up from the bottom. They should match the sequence number on the VIN and fender tag."
do you disagree with?

On a Duster it is wrong location at the rear. All my 70-71 dusters have had the number on the package tray by the speaker hole. No trunk lip stamps.

-
Back