71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Dead in the water....

Mounted the disc brake brackets....put rotors on...they are flushed against bracket....no room to mount caliper...

Right now I believe the axles have the wrong offset on them....and no one answers the phone on a 3 day weekend.

doctor diff just answered my email....looks like the offset is off ....new dana 2.250 and old 8 3/4 2.5 inches...

Wrong spacer on axles ........

Last edited:
Moving on to the new Weld wheels...got one dismounted already as my Harbor Freight tire changer never fails me...

Harbor Freight tire changer does it again...and tomorrow the HF bubble balancer will be at work...

20180901_124559_resized.jpg

Revised game plan......balance tires and put them on the car without brakes so I cam move the car....I still need to adjust ride height...i still need to get the correct length brake lines installed...
So being about to roll the car...i can roll it forward and get it up in the air.....makes life easier then crawling around on the floor....my bones ache....except my dick cause I soaked it in cider...joke...

Duster is not going to make this weekend race....so moving forward....I will start the removal of the engine and trans while I am waiting to get the axles fixed...

my daughter can drive my Demon this weekend since she is in the points and i am not..

Factory framerails, in the factory location?

Sorry for the bother but I'm getting ready to cut out my wheel house and narrow my 9".
I would like to be able to run a 15x10.50x29 but I dont wanna buy that tall of a tire just to find out it hits the package tray or the frame rails.

Would you share a few pics of the tires in the wheelhouse?

yes...factory frame rails...to fix the 29 inch tire the front of the wheel well had to be radius...or cut...

The dana is 45 inch from axle flange to axle flange....that is as narrow as you can go with stock frame rails....and a 15 x 10 rim is used with a 3.5 back spacing.....if you widen the rear end more back spacing can be used on the rim....

I dont have any pictures of the slicks inside the wheel house....probably could get a few later this week went I get it up on the lift

Thanks!

I'm gonna move my axle back 1.5" or 2" to take full advantage of the opening. Although I will cut whatever is in my way.
What made you decide on a 10" wide tire?

Class rule?

Talked to Doctor Diff a couple of times today...apparently Strange screw up....suppose to be 2.4 inches from snap ring on bearing to outside of axle flange...only 2.20 which is an A body offset instead of the 2.4 inch offset for the B body axles....he having strange drop ship the parts to me....spacers need to pressed on with axle bearing ....

picked up new driveshaft for Dana 60......waiting on parts for axles....

got the parts from strange enginning yesterday afternoon...new spacers and lock rings....I told Doctor Diff that i had a couple sets of green wheel bearing so i did not need them.....saw the machine shop owner at the races this afternoon he said he could not press axles bearing off and on....going to driveshaft guys where i just they just made a driveshaft for this car...

dropped off axles, spacers and new lock rings at driveline shop....they said no problem ....3 to 5 days they will be done....3 hours later they call and say they are done....

They must have thought I had been watching Start Trek- The Wrath of Khan.....

dropped off axles, spacers and new lock rings at driveline shop....they said no problem ....3 to 5 days they will be done....3 hours later they call and say they are done....

They must have thought I had been watching Start Trek- The Wrath of Khan.....
I've heard of time flies when you're having fun, but damn!..

ok...axles are in...brakes are on.....but got another problem......unbelievable.....LOL...

and this one might be a killer.....

Been a very bad week....I tried to get the new rims and slicks on but they were rubbing on the inside of the frame rail. Which had me confused cause I ordered everything the same as that is on the 71 Dart. So after spending a few minutes under this Duster double and triple checking everything. I took those measurements and went looked at the Dart...after pulling a tire off I realized the problem. And after a few minutes with a tape measure my worst fear was confirmed. And then I checked the invoice from went I ordered the Dana 60 for the Dart from 2104. The Dana in the Dart is 48 inches...the Duster's Dana is 45. And that I as in ME, never double checked the invoice from the Dart just went off my memory.....LOL...

On the Duster I have 3.5 inches from the frame rail to the axles flange...my rims are 3.5 inches back spacing, the section width of the slick or side wall is what is rubbing. I looked at all possible combinations of wheels and 9 inch slicks and nothing will work that is readily available. Weld wheels have draglites with 2.5 back spacing but I dont think that is going to work. The Dart probably has about one inch clearance from the sidewall to the frame rail...

So tomorrow morning I will begin to unbolt the dana and reinstalled the 8 3/4 so we can finish out the season....Clean a corner of the garage so I can put this
Dana in and cover it up with a blanket so I dont have to look at my 2200 dollar FU.....LOL

Then i had an issue with the guy painting the AAR, he read the fender tag wrong and ordered the wrong paint....but we were able to get that corrected without problems...he ordered V2 instead of K2...the V and K look alike to old people with bad eye sight...

Life goes on........

bad week, I'd say. I guess it's time for you to build another car to fit the dana. lol
what would you do if you couldn't spend money and work on the cars. race ? work? I know, you would rather work 10 hour shifts and sock away the money.

I have been telling my boss that I am going to fully retire the end of this year....but I would hang around if they got one specific job.....so I am working to get some lunch dates set up with the correct people to try and win this last job....we win it...i work....we dont I am done...

I am currently double dipping.....

Well...back to work....**** aint going to fix itself....

Prepping the old 8 3/4 to put it back it.....put a new pumpkin in as old one had been in there for 5 years...and sooner or later it is going to crack teeth...

Should be able to drop the too short dana tomorrow...and put the 8 3/4 back in on Wednesday...

20180917_174156_resized.jpg

Got the dana out and the 8 3/4 half way in....

Need to talk to Doc Diff in morning.....see what i can salvage out of this...purchase a new housing with axles and use my spool ...ring and gear...and fancy cover..

-
Back