71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
1st pass in morning engine spit out a freeze plug.....water under tires at half track....kid was hanging on ....went right then left...i could see the whole size of the car.....and slid to a stop in the center of the track...the other guy was late on the light so he missed her...took out one of the timing cones and was wedged under car...lol

and we forgot the gopro camera.

20190323_112256_resized.jpg

20190323_160218_resized.jpg

Car ran great...made 3 passes....10.35s and 10.38....air not as good as yesterday but no problems....

Car goes back into garage to get Dana 60 installed....engine pushing 7100 rpm with 4.56 gear...Dana has 4.30s....but if it slows down...I will put a 2.74 1st gear back in the 904 .....

Next race is MATS.....as there is no racing until Sept...cheap asses dont want to night race in summer and turn the lights on......

Removed the Moser Fab 875 this afternoon.....probably clean and assemble the Dana tomorrow...disc brakes need to go on...then install it on Wednesday....all brackets are welded on the housing and all ready have the driveshaft....

pictures.....I got the Dana under the car and basically bolted in. The bracket had already been welded on went I found out I ordered the wrong width.....Thought I was going to be done tomorrow but I forgot inner wheel seal...so placed an order with the Doctor...and i need a combo u joint for another project...
probably wont be done until next week as Nhra 4 wide is in town this weekend and i am working at the time slip booth again...making the big bucks ...8.25 an hour plus overtime....LOl

20190331_183918_resized.jpg

20190401_184855_resized.jpg

20190401_184900_resized.jpg

20190331_183908_resized.jpg

probably wont be done until next week as Nhra 4 wide is in town this weekend and i am working at the time slip booth again...making the big bucks ...8.25 an hour plus overtime....LOl

Do you get a discount on admission or race for free?

Since I am working I get in free plus an additional free ticket plus free parking inside pir area plus all the mellow yellow you can drink and did I mention the 8 .25 a hour...lol

had 3 12 packs of mellow yellow...great stuff....got my hat and pin....will get my big paycheck next weekend...Had a blast...feet and legs hurt....lol

back to real life.....pretty much got the Dana 60 installed...need to swap out new brake lines due to the different lengths..,,,,

with everything installed I messured from axle flange to axle flange....was looking for 48 inches...and bingo got 48 inches....

need to swap out rims....remove tires and tubes from existing rims and go to 15 x 10 with 3.5 inch BS...time to get the old HF tire changer working again and the bubble balancer...

Ok..new shorter brake lines on the car....got some gear lube in the rear....just need to get slicks off old rims onto new rims....

Car did not run well on Friday.....1st pass for her in car....was like a 10,80.....she said the gas pedal was not on the floor...second pass 10.59 with a terrible 60ft of 1.52,,,,,and then saturday both passes the car would not launch in 1st gear....we took it home that night put it up on the lift and adjusted cable by no 1st gear ..then it grabs...

so it is coming out very soon also...plus I need to replace a freeze plug that i have rubber one in .....Got to Sept...lol

Got the 904 apart this morning.....alot of chunks of metal .....Joe at Tranzact guessed it was the overrunning clutch....he gets a cookie....plus it took a chunk out of the rear band...

Parts are on there way....dont have a sprag.....they bolt in....

Anyway still got a freeze plug to replace....lol.....Got plenty of time too....

20190518_100808_resized_1.jpg

20190518_100826_resized_1.jpg

20190518_100833_resized_1.jpg

Also found the throttle cable was no longer pinned at the firewall....interesting.

Spend the morning assembling a 904 for the Duster....got the drive train installed....PIA overrunning clutch rollers....lol...
Replacing the disc and steels...got enough steels...but short the .061 disc...need 5 .....will visit the trans supply store tomorrow...

Hope to have it all back together by next weekend.....

Got this 904 just about done...gotta put the transbrake back in it...filter and pan...

Making my own case wire for the transbrake..gotta let the RTV harden over night....

Should have it back together this weekend.....

Looking at the 904 that ate the overrunning clutch....I see why i love the 904...this trans had a bolt in sprag......unbolted the 7 screws and bingo it falls on the table...no damage to the case at all...

This 904 made two passes with burnouts with the overrunning clutch damaged....should have that one back together next week as I am waiting for parts....

Last edited:
Got the motor and trans back in this morning...and started hooking things up.....quit cause i could not find the hose clamp for the upper hose at the radiator...lol

Need to get it up in the air so i can hook everything up .....Need to make an adjustment on the rear ride height also...

-
Back