71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
It is running....that is all i can say.....

going to run the valves one more time tomorrow after work.

Looks like I got plenty of time to fix engines now....everything is closed down for a couple of month..

yes...the heat will be here....i will probably stop racing but the kids will continue which means i will be there anyway.....lol

Well...I got this 408 torn down yesterday...and can not find anything broken.....I find a big chunk of aluminum riding on top of the crank gear in the timing chain cover...i assume it is a piece of piston...nope ...no pistons are broke...

it is aluminum cause i put a magnet on it and it wont stick....thought maybe a piece of mallory metal came out of the crank but dont see anything missing there either plus the mallory sticks to the magnet.....

Post #1595... Coronavirus h-beam rods? They must have been affected the rest of the motor....

I found the timing chain cover from the engine...will take picture of it....can not see anything missing...

dropped block off at machine shop....they are somewhat closed due to the governor shutting all non essential businesses down....car repair shops are open but machine shops are not...lol...the owner and his son are still working..

well i got another engine to assemble while i wait on this one....lol

This afternoon...i was searching for main and rod bearing in the storage room for this motor went the block comes back from the machine shop.....someday

And then the phone rings and it is the machine shop...come get your block it is done......ok....

So we got a 360 .040 with a 4 inch crank to assemble over the next week or two....

block is painted black...dont know if it is going to stay that color

20200511_163733_resized.jpg

Can not find anyone with
Clevite Engine Parts MS-1266HG-10 Main Bearing in Stock....Summit shows a shipping date of June 4......that sucks..

This afternoon...i was searching for main and rod bearing in the storage room for this motor went the block comes back from the machine shop.....someday

And then the phone rings and it is the machine shop...come get your block it is done......ok....

So we got a 360 .040 with a 4 inch crank to assemble over the next week or two....

block is painted black...dont know if it is going to stay that color

View attachment 1715526378

Need some help? :D

Well ...while waiting for the mains...as the rods are on their way....I decided I would start removing the pistons from the rods...swapping out .030 for .040 pistons...
Tried 4 pistons and could not get one spiral lock out...somedays it is better just to walk away...

got 5 of the pistons removed from the rods...can not get the other 3 Spiro locks off....just need one side to slide pin out...

Call scat they said I can use Speed pro 120M main bearings. And I got a set. Bingo

I got 5 pistons off their rods yesterday ...still got 3 that I can not get that spiro lock out....will try again this weekend....

Going to wash up the block and clean it this afternoon....get this thing going as we have no racing on the schedule...lol.

Block and crank got washed and blow dried....spray with a light coat of oil......then what the hell....I put the crank in the block and torqued it down.....spins....lol

got a few other things to do on another engine build this weekend....rod bearing for this wont be here until monday afternoon....might start filing the rings if i get other things done..

Painted the block hemi orange....knocked the freeze plugs in....put all the oil gallery plugs in ..including the ones behind the cam plate....

got 5 pistons mounted on their rods.....still can not get the last 3 rods off their rods...spiro locks...

-
Back