71 duster installing power steering unit

-

74ddsport

Reaction score
Working on my brothers 71 duster 340 and i came across an issue. I am installing a power steering unit and when i got to installing the pump the rear line in the back hits the frame. The car was originally manual steering. All the parts he got are remanufactured they are not from a parts car. I have called the shop we got the items from and they have double checked andwhat we bought is for that car. The car was bought used and is not number matching so i dont have to much on history. Any ideas how i can get this resolved? The picture below shows where i need to cut. Should i cut that piece we are only talking about an inch if that. Thanks
Picture004redone_zpsfa4bc788.jpg

Picture002-3_zpse0461e35.jpg

I'v seen this problem before......that duster, has an eariler K member in it. You can trim that tab off, or I belive there is an eariler power steering pump, that has different mounting brackets, and mounts higher.

sounds like your trying to install a saginaw pump on the car instead of the proper fitting federal pump.

the proper pump for that car has the high pressure line at the left front of the pump. the saginaw pumps (what it sounds like your trying to use) have the high pressure line at the rear of the pump. they were used on the 73-up spool mount cars...

i thought someone (maybe BPE) sold an adapter hose.

sounds like your trying to install a saginaw pump on the car instead of the proper fitting federal pump.

the proper pump for that car has the high pressure line at the left front of the pump. the saginaw pumps (what it sounds like your trying to use) have the high pressure line at the rear of the pump. they were used on the 73-up spool mount cars...

i thought someone (maybe BPE) sold an adapter hose.

Thanks!! Can you elaborate on what BPE is or who he is? Thanks

I have read that the Saginaw pump is better (less load), and I'm not biased since I have TRW and Federal pumps on my cars. Cutting the lip off the K-frame shouldn't compromise the structure, but I wouldn't molest it. Can you just bend the metal tube on the hose to make it fit (don't kink)? BPE is Bouichillon Performance Engineering, or such.

-
Back