71 duster resto'mod "driver" project...

-
Left me hanging on the edge of my seat! Looks really good so far!

And I am the only son out of a family that doesn't know much about cars. My dad's first car was a '71 Plymouth Satellite that was F8 green with no vinyl top, console shift 383 with 3.91 gears put in by the dealer so gramps could tow a trailer behind it. It was a two door and had an F8 interior as well and was heated and A/C. I'd love to find that car, but its been missing since 1981 when my Dad traded it for a new Prelude :banghead:, Grandpa is still upset by that one. :toothy10: The day my dad saw my Dart, he looked at me and told me to put a 383 in it with a grin from ear to ear. My dad had no clue I would ever wanna be a mechanic, my sisters are both artists so I was pretty expected to be an artist as well.

I can't wait to see more pics......
Great build you have going there man!
How did i miss it until now?

Left me hanging on the edge of my seat! Looks really good so far!

And I am the only son out of a family that doesn't know much about cars. My dad's first car was a '71 Plymouth Satellite that was F8 green with no vinyl top, console shift 383 with 3.91 gears put in by the dealer so gramps could tow a trailer behind it. It was a two door and had an F8 interior as well and was heated and A/C. I'd love to find that car, but its been missing since 1981 when my Dad traded it for a new Prelude :banghead:, Grandpa is still upset by that one. :toothy10: The day my dad saw my Dart, he looked at me and told me to put a 383 in it with a grin from ear to ear. My dad had no clue I would ever wanna be a mechanic, my sisters are both artists so I was pretty expected to be an artist as well.

Very cool story DarTT... I can definitely relate'ish lol... I was raised by a single mom with virtually no input from my father through out most of my life, so I basically had no one around to teach me anything "manly" so to speak.....

and interestingly, my father is an artist who loves cars...

Thinking this is why I have the perpensity to get rather artistically intimate with some of the mechanical things I do....
My perpensity to tangent within my own threads.....
I'll blame that on the a.d.d. lol

Any way, since I've found out that I potentially have a few people hanging on the edge of seats awaiting the next proverbial episode.....
and given many of the posters seem to love the family element of the project, I figured this would be a good time to tangent toward art and the automobile with a little side story involving a different a body, and a challenger srt8....

A few years back at the Chrysler dealership I work for, we had a tragic incident happen in which one of our employees ***our shop tower operator*** came into work and shot 2 other employees, then turned the gun on himself and took his own life..... of the two people he shot, one died ***our parts manager***, and the other survived ***our assistant parts manager, and best back counter parts guy I'd ever worked with***

after this tragic event happened, the owner of our dealership owns a hemi orange canadian spec 2008 challenger srt "500" series, donated the supercharger he'd originally planned on puting on his car toward a 2009 plumb crazy purple 6speed srt8 that would be customised in honor of our fallen parts manager...... so I was given the task polishing up the super charger for this project as one of the parts guys took it upon himself to attempt the job, then realized the task was outta his league...... me being me of course, I got rather artistically intimate with the project.... the previously mentioned a body comes in to play as I figured I'd use this challenger project to draw attention toward another project I was working on....

this was the state of the supercharger as I recieved it...

blinging it out was a 2 day process and the next 2 pics were taken after the first session with it....

the rest were taken once I was finished.... on a side note, some of the pictures contain an eagle head picture, an eagle head bronze sculpture, and a yellow'ish picture in a frame... all those are my fathers art work....

I of course, had to pose the supercharger with my headers (I got those via the person the challenger is honoring)

The supercharger back at work.......

many people affected by the tragedy stopped in and signed the plenum plate the supercharger would live upon......

stamped our friends initials in the back with an extra "s" as the car was to be known as the "GR special"..... and I signed "SQ" as my nickname at work is "squeek"....

Here it is in the car.......

My old srt4 posing with the challenger.....

more posing....

as for how the "a body" I mentioned earlier factors in, is that I once recieved a parts car that once belonged to the surviving victim in the form of a 75 dart sport, and various other parts etc. that found there way into my current project.... any way, after the tragedy, and given they were doing up this challenger in honor of, I figured I promote that we attempt to set up a charity with the purpose of creating an "overhaul'n" style restification of his old dart that was still in my garage at the time, and surprise him with it should he survive (when I promoted this idea to management, we weren't even sure if he'd survive the weekend....

Any way, at the time, management loved the idea, so I started a fan page on face book to promote that project, and figured I'd use the challenger project as a way of drawing attention toward things in the auto world....

Even went so far as to make a few video's about it and plastered them on you tube...... those of you who've enjoyed the video element of the thread might find these interesting, here's some links to the vids I made in promoting that project

the first pretty much focuses on the install of the supercharger
**some behind the scenes is that the person the car was made in honor of, was a husband and father, and I partook in polishing the supercharger on easter weekend...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5JTO4Jl3gA"]"dart dreams" srt8 challenger project - YouTube[/ame]

in the second video, we got some on the road footage of the challenger on fathers day weekend when we took it to a local cruise spot to reviel it.. during this "cruise", I actually wound up getting to race the challenger with my srt-4 and got that on film; however, I couldn't put that footage in the video (our old parts managers wife is actually a police officer, so we figured it would be silly to expose that footage on a site focused on her husband lol)...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bGAvhfcyDQ"]fathers day weekend love drive with the GR special_0001.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

a bit more art and auto....... years ago, I recieved an intake manifold from the surviving victim in a deal we made... so when it came time to do my project, I thought it fitting that I blinged out that manfold in the same fashion as the supercharger.......

So I figured I'd tangent back toward my sweet Violet with it...

starting the blinging...

getting artsy with it, and posing it with a statue of the silver surfer that my boys bought me for one of my birthdays......

and more getting artsy with it......

and for the final tangent back toward my project, a random pic for Divenut... since it's got another of my son's guitars, and the manifold in the same pic lol......

Hope you all enjoy the tangent........ more on Violet soon.....

stay "tuned"..:wav: ***this I had to add, cause it reminded me of srt4's, and how they are often refered to as "skittles" lol, that and I've always kinda considered the srt4 as a kin to being the modern day duster if you will***

very nice build

I can't wait to see more pics......
Great build you have going there man!
How did i miss it until now?

thanx X 2 :glasses7::glasses7:

.... more during the process pics I recently found

340 cup holder:coffee2:

this is the original block from my son's 70 340 4spd car I spoke of earlier in the thread hang'n out with us during the project :prayer:

some pics of the under the car clean up phase of the project

.....at some point during the project I faced this situation due to the cracking garage floor shifting.....

a few pics of the door that had the corner bowed out (this was prior to the car getting the repaint)

:coffee2: more coffee required...

...and other random things done the weekend the car went in for the repaint.....

painted the worn out shifter knob to fit the new theme rather than get a new one

painted the hoodscoop with the same paint as the grille, tail lights, and console/dashpad

.... and finally

proof they should have went with a mopar in the movie transformers lol:protest:

actually, I figured since they went and painted the inner door metal purple, I'd just work with that theme, so when she went in for the repaint, I sent these in for them to paint too

....but hey, does this picture not just scream out "transformers" to you? :blob:

more to come soon'ish :iconbigg:

a complex series of levers and pulleys.....

took this pic after the first trip in the car ever.... while waiting for the exhaust to get mated to the new headers after an open header run through the hood.....

then it was off to work for a wheel alignment.... on the hoist for a pre alignment inspection....

at this point I put on the tubular control arms my boys got me for fathers day.....

then it was off to the alignment machine......

some of the first in the real world pics taken a day after the alignment........

pic taken a few days afterward before we headed out on our second 4 hr cruise with the car.....

and finally, some night pic's taken the night of that cruise.......

Hope you enjoyed the show :iconbigg:

:toothy1: :newb:

Thanx for all the comments, and for taking the time to check out my thread. I'm definitely looking forward to adding to the thread in the coming years, as well as exposing my sons projects as they eventually unfold...

I'm extremely happy with the way the car turned out, especially given I'd originally intended for a simple splash and dash paint job. Definitely not a show car as she still wears many of the scars of her past such as the weld repair marks on the passenger inner fender. As well, on the drivers fender, there is a spot that dips down a bit below the hood line. Also, the front of the doors are slightly lower than the fenders; however, not offensively so. Though I'm hoping I can get that lined up a bit better in the spring. There are also a few random spots where some dust embedded into the clear coat, but I think much of that will be easy to deal with and most, if not all of it may disappear once the car is polished. I believe the painter guy said he laid on 3 or 4 coats of clear; however, I can't remember exactly as I got stuck on his description of how he "clear coated the **bleep** out of it mang", combined with his accent lol......

On that note, perhaps a little side story is in order...... When the car went in for the repaint, there was apparently a paint mix up that I'll explain below, and beyond that. My paint guy had another painter at the shop he works at lay down the paint on the car, which is ultimately what led to the mishap....

Any way, the car goes in for the repaint and as shown in the pictures, my son and I help sand down the car..... Well, apparently, the paint supplier forgot to mix the colour tint into the pearl coat (however that process works)... So, due to the shop dynamics etc. that were going on there that day, my guy doesn't have time to spray the paint.... he gets the paint sent by the supplier, and gives it to this other guy that he's going to get to do that part for him and heads off to do what ever he was doing at the time..... So this newly designated painter guy loads up the paint he's been given and paints the car........ An unknown amount of time goes bye, and my intended painter guy comes back to check on the car and nearly ***bleeps*** his pants as he's now staring at a sparkling silver duster instead of a purple one lol.... But yes, long story short is that now the car wears a base purple coat, a midlayer purely pearl coat, and an overlay purple coat with 3 to 4 coats of clear. As well, due to the mishap with the paint, my painter guy wound up with copious amounts of paint left over and is going to give me all he has left over, as well as the hardener required to mix up all the touch up paint etc. I would ever need in the future, which is definitely a bonus :D:D:blob:

There are currently a few spots in the clear that have some runs that still need to be buffed out, so come spring the guy is going to come over and deal with those areas... once that is done, I'm going to get the car polished up by the head detailer at work.... Then I'll put on the white stripe package and get a proper appraisal for insurance purposes and hit the road full force, woot!!

In the future I plan on focusing on suspension and brake upgrades etc. and will likely head toward a more handling based set up with a 17" rim. Also thinking I may build up some form of stroked 340 with the block I acquired from my son... Thinking of going with fuel injection for that set up

Beyond all that, I did wind up getting a little bit of on the road video footage during the few weeks I had out on the road this year, so I did manage to whip up a little video.......... I really didn't have much footage to work with, but I did the best I could with what I had lol..... The bad news is, that due to my song choice in the video, it didn't get past the youtube filter, and they muted the audio.... the good news is, I was able to load the video onto the "dart dreams" fan page on facebook that I exposed earlier in the thread, so it is viewable there. I'm not sure if it'll work, but there is a link on facebook on the video page that says "embed video on any site on web with this code", so I'll copy paste that here, as well as insert the link to the video page via the "insert link" function on here. hope it works, and thanx again to all who've taken interest, great forum! :prayer:

The video was geared toward putting closure on the "dart dreams" venture as that project was eventually scrapped by the powers that be; however, as a result of our intentions, the intended recipient wound up receiving a different form of compensation.... any way, given that my car now wears many of that darts original parts, combined with the fact that over the years, I'd acquired so many parts that went into the project via the individuals involved in the tragedy, I felt that the exposure of my car on that fan page, along with a final closure note, would be the best way to wrap up that fan page... Oh, and there's also a little treat near the end of the video where I've added a "bonus feature" of the footage I had of my old srt4 going at it with the kenne bell supercharged srt8 challenger that is seen in the other "dart dreams" videos held within this thread.... :)

Any way, enough of my ramblings... here's the link that seems to work :newb:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150975407015543

:blob:

good thing you're nearly done with this, been waitin nearly 5 years to cruise it with ya, now it'll likely be another 5 before i can cruise mine with ya =P

ps, check out my thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=170450

I'm more looking forward to participating within your thread, than to checking it out lol.... was nice cruiz'n with you yesterday son ;)

.... and on that note, Happy Holidays every one :blob:

I made a little "home movie" style video last night of a "day before x-mas" sleigh ride, er... muscle car sleigh ride that is, woot!!

any way, it was intended for my boys as we weren't all able to be together this year on Christmas; however, I figured since it's car related, Christmas related, and features the car in this thread, I'd post it up for you all to enjoy.....

[ame="http://youtu.be/BEGnFOr_KtY"]http://youtu.be/BEGnFOr_KtY[/ame]

"peace"... pun intended lol

Thanx Jason :glasses7:

...Here's a few pics from our lil drive on dec 24th

think'n before spring, I should invest in some decent looking exhaust tips :)

and....er, a picture of a clock I made for my oldest son for a Christmas present :blob:

Superrun and Mopar meet in Red Deer next summer,,,,come on down for either or both!! Happy New Year

Hey all,

It's been a crazy hectic year thus far so I haven't had much time to check in here at fabo.... so I thought I'd stop in to say "Hi" :)

on a side note, youtube finally enabled the audio track for this video I made a while back, so I thought I'd share it with you all.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDcv0eK2DE&feature=relmfu"]VioleT TempeR TantrumZ - YouTube[/ame]

as well, I recently made my first ever music/song lyrics video, so I thought I'd share that with y'all also..... the song is Getaway Car by Audioslave, which I'm sure many of you will be familiar with being "car guys", and for those of you who aren't familiar with the song, you just might like it ha ha!

the short story on this vid is that I was just rolling around alone in my car one night hoping to find a safe place out in the world to capture some footage of my gauges at night, and get a shot of the tach and speedo blipping as I pinned it.... while doing so, this song just happened to be playing on the i pod as I had the camera filming in my lap awaiting the perfect opportunity to do such a thing without fear of dying or adversely killing some innocent person while attempting to do so......

any way, enuf rambling from me.... hope you enjoy the video..... Peace =)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJbCNL-RcF8"]Getaway Car by Audioslave - YouTube[/ame]

p.s. y'all are teh first to get this link, hope that makes you feel a lil bit "special" lol

squeek360 ;)

....I've re edited the thing to have an actual story line to follow along with the video in order to deal with all the "darkness" :eek:ops: in the original, here's a link to the new video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbLPjegfC4"]Getaway Car by Audioslave - YouTube[/ame]

:burnout:

Hope you enjoy! :happy1:

-
Back